We Are the Champions!

HawaiiClone

Dec 4, 2020
IMO it’s pre-Campbell thinking. I guarantee you Matt Campbell will never utter the words “Big 12 regular season champions”.

Nothing “wrong” with it per se but I think Campbell is enough of a competitor to find it almost offensive. It is little brother crap.

This is a fantastic day for Iowa State. It can be historic without making up things that don’t exist.

This is equivalent to a regular season championship in basketball and people talked about how Bill Self's streak of regular season championships was a great accomplishment. I think the team can find satisfaction in being the best in the regular season while also recognizing there is a greater goal.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
K, but u rong doe

cc: johnnydognuts

View attachment 78873
No words.....

d5b45b8a5463b6103ac95e5c7212643c.gif

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Since the Big 12 added the champ game, please find me the list of Big 12 regular season champions on the Big 12 website. I can’t seem to locate it.
Why are you trying to rain on everyone's parade...that is Clonedudes job. :jimlad:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Need to win in Dallas As the ccg crowns the champion.
Semantics, but I posted in another thread that in CMCs contract there is language for a reg season conf championship.....good enough for me! Lol

Wild though....that the "13th data point" got us a game....without it we would be true champs....no tie breakers, etc.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
What a season so far. I love that we as fans can claim this team as regular season champs. But I also love that in every post-game interview the team said that there is more on the table to accomplish and they aren't satisfied with just getting to the game. There's only one thing left to do...win the whole f-ing thing. Go Clones! Onward!

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
If KU fans can brag about winning lots of basketball regular season titles when we were among the teams getting the one that actually put the champ in the NCAA’s, I think we’re justified with a little chortling.
The regular season champ is also an auto bid to the NCAAs and the Big 12 actually recognizes that as conf champ.

Luckily, this is all moot in 2 weeks when we beat OU.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
We have not won the conference. Wtf is going on here

okay true. But look at this way. If you look at the history of college football, this season would qualify as a conference champion (before conference title games). If we can't claim a conference championship then neither can Iowa. In the modern era, Iowa pretty much tied for their conference championships. They only played 8 conference games, and didn't go round robin. In the years they tied for the championship, the team they DIDN'T PLAY was the co-champ. And of course there was no championship game. So we did everything Iowa ever did to claim and title but we actually did more. We played everyone in our league and didn't tie with anyone. Iowa can't claim that.

Joe4Cy

Mar 5, 2010
Urbandale
www.comedyxp.tv
Started fall of '86. Graduated fall of 1990. I don't recall many games but enjoyed the tailgates and people watching. Lincoln House (Friley) was "Criner - you suck!"

When DM and PR plateaued, I thought "it's never gonna' happen here." So, so, SO happy and overjoyed I was proven wrong.

When I taught, we said "It's always a great day to be a Polar Bear." Friends, it's always a great day to be a Cyclone. Today's just a little greater!

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
How does this work? Can ISU still celebrate being Big 12 regular season champs even if they don't win the game vs OU in 2 weeks. I'm really confused on what the actual designation is.

Asking for a KU basketball fan. :jimlad:

• Haha
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Aclone

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm looking forward to walking into Jack Trice next fall and seeing all of the new stadium improvements. Oh and this written in big bold block lettering across the front of the upper deck:

2020 BIG 12 CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Semantics, but I posted in another thread that in CMCs contract there is language for a reg season conf championship.....good enough for me! Lol

Wild though....that the "13th data point" got us a game....without it we would be true champs....no tie breakers, etc.
Much of Campbell’s contract is the original/legacy Language from 11/2015. They typically update duration etc.

When that contract was signed it was still round robin. Ccg was in added in 1/2016. I suspect they have not updated the original Language and bolted on the ccg game incentive instead of redrafting entire document.

This is what I recall.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The regular season champ is also an auto bid to the NCAAs and the Big 12 actually recognizes that as conf champ.

Luckily, this is all moot in 2 weeks when we beat OU.
Do you have a link, because that is not how I understand it at all. Each conference only gets one auto bid for their champion to the NCAA tournament, and it is up to the conference how they crown that champ. The big XII definitely gives its automatic to the conference tournament champion, not the regular season champs. At least thats how I understand it. Of course, whoever is ranked first in the big XII after the regular season is going to the tournament regardless, so whether or not they get an automatic bid is somewhat academic.

Spartanantler

Jul 10, 2018
Is it wrong to think that regular season champs doesn't mean anything? I would think winning the Championship counts

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron