We Are the Champions!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Is it wrong to think that regular season champs doesn't mean anything? I would think winning the Championship counts

In a round robin situation, imo it means more. They didn't dodge anyone and didn't require weird 8 turnover games to do this.

The narrative from certain fanbases won't shift to think much of it but their narrative doesn't really mean much outside of their own group.

Reactions: CycoCyclone

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
The regular season champ is also an auto bid to the NCAAs and the Big 12 actually recognizes that as conf champ.

Luckily, this is all moot in 2 weeks when we beat OU.

it’s not an auto bid in basketball. You get to have one or the other. Any conference who has a tournament picks the conference tournament winner.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
okay true. But look at this way. If you look at the history of college football, this season would qualify as a conference champion (before conference title games). If we can't claim a conference championship then neither can Iowa. In the modern era, Iowa pretty much tied for their conference championships. They only played 8 conference games, and didn't go round robin. In the years they tied for the championship, the team they DIDN'T PLAY was the co-champ. And of course there was no championship game. So we did everything Iowa ever did to claim and title but we actually did more. We played everyone in our league and didn't tie with anyone. Iowa can't claim that.

so can UCF claim their national championship from 2017 or whenever it was without ridicule?

• Agree
Reactions: isuno1fan

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
1. Don't try to make us believe you are part of any Cyclone WE, old Dognuts.
2. Iowa has yet to get a win over a team with even a .500 record. The Hawks suck and so do you. IF my team's wins were over teams with a collective 10-20 record, I sure as hell wouldn't be hopping on a rival's board telling them what championships they can claim. Go to hell. **** off. Do not Pass go. Do not collect $200.
Where's the tylenol!

• Funny
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Did they finish alone the standings while playing every other team?

Asking for a friend.

they beat every team they played and according to the poster I quoted, that’s how they used to do it so it’s fine and should count. One outlet named them national champs which is how claimed and unclaimed titles worked before championship games.

I think trying to figure out a way to claim the Big 12 champs right now is a bunch of garbage. You play to the standards that are set now. You don’t look at past standards so it can fit the narrative you want to set.

UCF wasn’t the national champion, ISU isn’t the Big 12 champ yet.

• Agree
Reactions: isuno1fan

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Why? Got a headache? I don't think acetaminophen works on Hokroaches. You one of them, like dognuts?
Just reminded me of this: Clark W. Griswold Jr.: Hey! If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey **** he is! Hallelujah! Holy ****! Where's the Tylenol?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
they beat every team they played and according to the poster I quoted, that’s how they used to do it so it’s fine and should count. One outlet named them national champs which is how claimed and unclaimed titles worked before championship games.

I think trying to figure out a way to claim the Big 12 champs right now is a bunch of garbage. You play to the standards that are set now. You don’t look at past standards so it can fit the narrative you want to set.

UCF wasn’t the national champion, ISU isn’t the Big 12 champ yet.
So, your actual answer was “No”. Thanks for playing.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Is it wrong to think that regular season champs doesn't mean anything? I would think winning the Championship counts

It means a lot to this fan base and team. You can never take that away. It means a lot from where we were as a program to where we are now. So yes, it’s wrong to think it doesn’t mean anything.

Reactions: t-noah and NWICY

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
So, your actual answer was “No”. Thanks for playing.

If you want to be a smart ass, the answer is yes. Theywere the only undefeated team in FBS. So yea, they were on top of the standings in the entire FBS that year. Thanks for playing.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
All this conference championship talk is fun. Sure beats the hell out wondering what it would be like to sniff a conference championship.

To me, Cyclone fan for 50+ years who grew up in Eastern Iowa my thoughts are:

1) The quality of the program, not just W/L but professionalism at all level, is amazing. As long as CMC is here, no one can take that away. OU is the only other program in the Big XII with anything similar but I think we still outdistance them.

2) There is not one other team in the conference that wouldn't trade their season for ours. Pretty sure that goes for 120+ other programs in the nation and the other major program in the state.

3) I have thought for a long time - If places like Boise St and Cincy and Utah can have competitive programs, why can't ISU and with ISU's place in the Big XII, if ISU could attain that - could it do more with it than those schools have. We may find out.

4) How does this compare to other programs - I think we try to look at other schools that have done similar - KSU, Baylor, etc. And it's hard not to compare to Iowa.

You know what, I don't care and I have never felt that way. I can get petty with the best of them but it really doesn't matter now. I have never spent less time thinking about/watching other programs than I have this season. There is more than enough here at ISU to give me my CFB fix. Let the other programs make themselves feel better about trying to diminish what ISU/CMC/Pollard have done - this is real and for me and been 50 years in the waiting - I am going to ride this wave hard.

Holy **** - that was dangerously close to an open letter - better break out the beer early and watch some round ball.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If you want to be a smart ass, the answer is yes. Theywere the only undefeated team in FBS. So yea, they were on top of the standings in the entire FBS that year. Thanks for playing.
You’re just making it worse. They didn’t play a round robin schedule. They didn’t beat the other main contender. Just stop.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
You’re just making it worse. They didn’t play a round robin schedule. They didn’t beat the other main contender. Just stop.

Bottom line, There is no such thing as a big 12 regular season football champion. We are the number 1 team going into the final game of the year. I could not be happier about that, but I’m not about changing the rules to make me feel warm and fuzzy. Facts don’t care about feelings.

If you can show me where the Big 12 has regular season football champions I will gladly eat crow. Otherwise I will wait until the 19th when we beat the piss out of OU and are actual Big 12 champs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron