We Are the Champions!

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
You're free to think whatever you like. In fairness, I did blast him good. But I don't take sports banter seriously. He's a POS troll and I was giving him what he wanted. Perhaps he will leave us alone for a spell. There are far too many things going on right now that should be taken seriously--sports is NOT one of them. I apologize if I offended the fragile sensilbilities of some of you.

My post was more in response to you calling @stateofmind a Hawk. Might be time to pump the brakes.

Reactions: stateofmind

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Bottom line, There is no such thing as a big 12 regular season football champion. We are the number 1 team going into the final game of the year. I could not be happier about that, but I’m not about changing the rules to make me feel warm and fuzzy. Facts don’t care about feelings.

If you can show me where the Big 12 has regular season football champions I will gladly eat crow. Otherwise I will wait until the 19th when we beat the piss out of OU and are actual Big 12 champs.
We could show you countless incidences where commentators refer to a team as winning the "regular season". This is all abstract, so it is funny as hell that you require physical proof. You're not wrong if you mean "The Big 12 doesn't send a trophy or a cake or something labelled "regular season champion". You are wrong to suggest that referring to a team that wins the most games during the regular season prior to the championship game as "regular season champs" is somehow blasphemy. People do it all the time. I suppose you used to ***** about when all of the major Iowa teams played each other and one claimed to be state champion. It's just a descriptive phrase for what happened during the regular season.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Bottom line, There is no such thing as a big 12 regular season football champion. We are the number 1 team going into the final game of the year. I could not be happier about that, but I’m not about changing the rules to make me feel warm and fuzzy. Facts don’t care about feelings.

If you can show me where the Big 12 has regular season football champions I will gladly eat crow. Otherwise I will wait until the 19th when we beat the piss out of OU and are actual Big 12 champs.
Good points and I'm sure you're right. Although it just doesn't make sense. We beat OU already, and if they beat us we were 1-1 this year against each other and would have the same conference record. I just don't understand why there is no recognition of proving over the course of a FULL season that we were better than everyone. The team that wins in Arlington is the best on that day, PERIOD. Either way, we have the chance to do what we need and believe we are the best in the league right now. The one thing this year can do to a team is leave them short-handed on that day. I'm hoping our team can continue to ride this "luck" of a healthy year.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
We could show you countless incidences where commentators refer to a team as winning the "regular season". This is all abstract, so it is funny as hell that you require physical proof. You're not wrong if you mean "The Big 12 doesn't send a trophy or a cake or something labelled "regular season champion". You are wrong to suggest that referring to a team that wins the most games during the regular season prior to the championship game as "regular season champs" is somehow blasphemy. People do it all the time. I suppose you used to ***** about when all of the major Iowa teams played each other and one claimed to be state champion. It's just a descriptive phrase for what happened during the regular season.
The reality is that if we don’t win the CCG then next year the media will continue to say that ISU hasn’t won a conference football title since 1912. You can say it’s not fair but that’s how it works. Look at it like this, OU has had to defend it’s regular season title in the CCG the last 5 years in order to be named conference champs. Now it’s our turn.

CyCal

Apr 22, 2014
Just my two cents:

Saying we are the regular season champions this year is a lot like saying we were the worst team in the Big 12 in the 90s or that we tied for third place in 2018... We don't have a trophy to prove any of those things, but all of those statements are objectively true. The reason we are celebrating that is because we have never been in this position before and many of us never even imagined that it was a possibility.

That being said, I would trade a regular season championship for a Big XII Conference championship, which comes along with broad national recognition and an actual trophy, in a heartbeat. Hence why all the coaches and players are still saying there are bigger goals out there.

Yesterday's game was a great moment in Iowa State history and this season will be looked at as a real standard-setter for the program for decades to come. But how we remember this season will be significantly colored by how we preform in the Big XII championship game and in our New Year's 6 Bowl. That is just as true as the fact that we won the Big XII regular season.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
The reality is that if we don’t win the CCG then next year the media will continue to say that ISU hasn’t won a conference football title since 1912. You can say it’s not fair but that’s how it works. Look at it like this, OU has had to defend it’s regular season title in the CCG the last 5 years in order to be named conference champs. Now it’s our turn.
I certainly don't need you to tell me about your reality. What I stated was correct insofar as it goes. I'm not an official body licensing or declaring anything. I understand what you are saying and that is fine. But there is NOTHING wrong with making reference to regular season champions. It is merely a descriptive phrase, and if somebody wants to use it then they should. It is merely shorthand for having the best conference record. So feel free to peddle your pedantry to someone else.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: 83cy and Cyched

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

It's pretty hard to be a college basketball fan and European soccer fan and just completely ignore 8-1 outright first place in the Big 12.

I want to win the B12CG with a passion, but what ISU did is exactly like winning the Big 12 in basketball (the title everyone knows matters the most in spite of ISU's giant pile of B12 tourney trophies), winning the Premier League championship or winning the Scudetto.

Reactions: NWICY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Just watching the replay, the TV announcers said at the end of the 3rd quarter that it was our first regular season conference championship.

Reactions: NWICY

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
last time I checked there literally are not 2 prizes. I do t care what your feelings say about it, ISU is not conference champs unless they win on the 19th. That’s all there is to it.
And your point being?

LOL, just kidding dude! It seems to me that we as ISU fans can feel very good about winning the proverbial Regular Season Conference Championship while at he same time realizng we are not yet Conference Champs until winning the CCG.

Carry on. I like the debate!

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
The Big Xii needs to have a Supporter's Shield for the top record in the Regular Season like MLS does.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'd just like to congratulate the 9 runners-up in the Big 12 this year.
Also, I'd like to respectfully salute our fun-haters who argue against this being a thing or a fun thing. Well, maybe not respectfully, and salute might not be quite the right word.
Well, a form of salute would fit.

Reactions: simply1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron