UConn - Mich St.

andymhallman

Nov 28, 2012
Fairfield, Iowa
UConn looked really good today, although they didn't shoot the three as well against MSU as they did against us.

I'm not as confident as everyone else that we would have beaten UConn with Niang, and certainly not Michigan State with Niang. We lost seven games this year when Niang was on the floor. Michigan State was probably better than all of those teams (they're neck-and-neck with a healthy Kansas team).

As the CBS analysts said, UConn's guards got up into Michigan State's guards and prevented them from running their offense. That's not how we play defense. We don't put a lot of pressure on the ball at all, so you can't assume we would have beaten Michigan State even with Niang. Heck, Wisconsin and Michigan are every bit as good as Iowa State and both of those teams bot blown out by a healthy Spartan team in the conference tournament.

storrsroars

Mar 24, 2014
A positive about this game --- is that MSU had to play against a team that had an amazing home court advantage. Hmm, sound familiar MSU?? ISU's loss against UConn this year was helped out because of the absence of Niang and the Husky's familiarity with MSG & then they proved it on the court. Against MSU in 2000, we were battling 3 opponents: Sparty, their overwhelming fan base AND the refs (heavily influenced by Izzo and the home court). I was pulling for UConn all the way in this one.

For all the hubbub about home court, it happens. In our 2011 NC drive we had to win two games in Anaheim, one vs SDSU, the other vs. Arizona. We lost in a FF to MSU that was played in Detroit.

And I'm sure anyone who follows college hoops remembers UConn made George Mason's rep by losing to them as a 1 seed. That game was in DC, about 50 miles from their campus.

It happens. It's not a conspiracy. If the top seeds do what they're supposed to, these things don't happen.

If you're gonna complain about anything, complain as to why UConn was a 7 seed to begin with. We're delighted that we were, but honestly should've been a 5 and who knows what would've happened then.

And yeah, Giffey was stone cold today from 3 despite wide open looks. If he's on it's a very different game. First game he's been cold like that since probably Louisville.

Now go book us for a home-and-home, ok?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
As the CBS analysts said, UConn's guards got up into Michigan State's guards and prevented them from running their offense. That's not how we play defense. We don't put a lot of pressure on the ball at all, so you can't assume we would have beaten Michigan State even with Niang. Heck, Wisconsin and Michigan are every bit as good as Iowa State and both of those teams got blown out by a healthy Spartan team in the conference tournament.
Agree with all of your points, except for the bolded. I don't think conference tournaments are necessarily good indicators of team strength. They're exhibitions, IMO.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
... We lost in a FF to MSU that was played in Detroit...Now go book us for a home-and-home, ok?

The home court issue with ISU fans is not about this tourney. It's about playing MSU in the Elite Eight in Auburn Hills when the top seeds did win.
I would love to see UConn come to Hilton. Our two coaches are buddies, so maybe it will happen.

And... nobody remembers the George Mason game.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
For all the hubbub about home court, it happens. In our 2011 NC drive we had to win two games in Anaheim, one vs SDSU, the other vs. Arizona. We lost in a FF to MSU that was played in Detroit.

And I'm sure anyone who follows college hoops remembers UConn made George Mason's rep by losing to them as a 1 seed. That game was in DC, about 50 miles from their campus.

It happens. It's not a conspiracy. If the top seeds do what they're supposed to, these things don't happen.

If you're gonna complain about anything, complain as to why UConn was a 7 seed to begin with. We're delighted that we were, but honestly should've been a 5 and who knows what would've happened then.

And yeah, Giffey was stone cold today from 3 despite wide open looks. If he's on it's a very different game. First game he's been cold like that since probably Louisville.

Not complaining or claiming a conspiracy in regards to the UConn game at all. I am just GLAD that MSU had to play in an Elite8 game against an opponent playing a "home" game. Our E8 game in 2000, well that is a SORE spot for most of our fan base and the crazy reffing after Izzo pulled a hissy-fit toward the end of the game with us up about 7pts. The home crowd and Izzo's antics really helped the Refs serve up some home-cookin'. Our game with you guys was a well-officiated game, and you guys proved to be better that night - props to your team!
Also in regards to home court advantage, I look back in '86 when we got to play Mich in the round of 32 in Minneapolis. That certainly played a factor in helping us win that game over 2-seeded Maize & Blue.
As for the remaining teams in the FF this year...Go UConn - hope you guys take out the rest!

H

HGPuck

Here is the reason Cyclone fans are sensitive about it:
2014 UConn at MSG
2013 Ohio State at Dayton
2012 Kentucky at Louisville
2005 North Carolina at Charlotte
2000 Michigan State at Auburn Hills

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
College ball is simple. We beat both Michigan State and uconn at hilton. We lose both on the road. These were road games. I'm satisfied.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
UCONN has looked very good since their first round game. I think the key has been Daniels excellent play bc Napier is always going to get his but Daniels has looked like a Pro recently.
With their three point shooting they can beat anyone. But I think Florida pulls it off in a low scoring battle.

Has anyone noticed the emphasis on calling fouls when players put hands and arms on players in the perimeter seems to have gone away for the most part?

Waquoit

Aug 24, 2011
Nice to play two home games - can't underestimate the value of sleeping, eating and everything else at home while your opponents are playing a true road game.

FWIW, UConn has had their share of tough beats over the years playing regionals in their opponent's home state:

Florida in Florida, Texas in Texas, UNC in N.C., UCLA in California and Maryland in D.C. to name a few. They paid enough dues to have a favorable draw.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
FWIW, UConn has had their share of tough beats over the years playing regionals in their opponent's home state:

Florida in Florida, Texas in Texas, UNC in N.C., UCLA in California and Maryland in D.C. to name a few. They paid enough dues to have a favorable draw.

You earn that during the regular season. A seven seed should never have that advantage. That was a bad job by the committee.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Here is the reason Cyclone fans are sensitive about it:
2014 UConn at MSG
2013 Ohio State at Dayton
2012 Kentucky at Louisville
2005 North Carolina at Charlotte
2000 Michigan State at Auburn Hills

The 2000 game obviously sticks out in everyone's mind because of our shot at the title, but I didn't realize how many 'home' games we've had to play in the tourney.
I talked with a MSU fan this morning who said that's just the way it is. I asked him how many games MSU has ever played in Ames, Iowa City, DSM, or Omaha.
I don't know, but has the NCAA tourney ever been scheduled in those sites?

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
The 2000 game obviously sticks out in everyone's mind because of our shot at the title, but I didn't realize how many 'home' games we've had to play in the tourney.
I talked with a MSU fan this morning who said that's just the way it is. I asked him how many games MSU has ever played in Ames, Iowa City, DSM, or Omaha.
I don't know, but has the NCAA tourney ever been scheduled in those sites?

Not in recent history for Ames, DSM or Iowa City for sure. There are not enough hotel rooms near the arenas. That is why DSM is considering building an attached hotel to Wells Fargo. Pretty much can not get an NCAA bid without it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
UConn looked really good today, although they didn't shoot the three as well against MSU as they did against us.

I'm not as confident as everyone else that we would have beaten UConn with Niang, and certainly not Michigan State with Niang. We lost seven games this year when Niang was on the floor. Michigan State was probably better than all of those teams (they're neck-and-neck with a healthy Kansas team).

As the CBS analysts said, UConn's guards got up into Michigan State's guards and prevented them from running their offense. That's not how we play defense. We don't put a lot of pressure on the ball at all, so you can't assume we would have beaten Michigan State even with Niang. Heck, Wisconsin and Michigan are every bit as good as Iowa State and both of those teams bot blown out by a healthy Spartan team in the conference tournament.
Georges would have had a big day against UCONN. Do not kid yourself.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Dom Amore @AmoreCourant
Follow

Izzo said he called time with 6 seconds left so #uconnmen fans could enjoy moment. ... Very classy, gracious in post game interview.

I didn't hear it that way in his post game. I thought he said he "did not call a timeout so their fans could celebrate more, he called it so he could talk to his team about what they could learn for next year."

Not to say Izzo wasn't good in his post game, he was. I thought he would have loved to say the UConn home game caused the pressure for all of MSUs 'out of body' TOs, but of course he couldn't. He's won too many home games in the NCAAs himself.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron