To: AD Pollard

ISU0454

Apr 10, 2006

Mr. Pollard -- You lost a huge opportunity today.

This afternoon, at the annual spring game, with a record(?) crowd in attendance, our football team put on the WORST performance I've ever been witness to in this spring event.

The anticipation could not have been higher. With a new coaching staff in place, with our marketing staff out trying to drum up support for this program and the "promise of things to come", we couldn't have laid a bigger egg.

This is, what, you're 2nd spring ISU game? It's my 34th. I've been here way longer that you, and I'll be here way longer when you're gone. I can't remember when I've been more disappointed in this event.

Remember when Coach Mac said that he didn't like to play late night games? You said, "Hey Mac, You coach the games - I'll handle the marketing" You were right! So now, you should have said, "Hey Coach Chiz -- I know you just want to have an ordinary practice -- but I've got to "sell this program and sell future hope" to our fan base. ISU put on a terrible show. The whole idea of a spring game, I would think, would be to build up anticipation and excitement for the coming fall. What a let-down. I’M going to be there in the fall, but how many people do you think walked away from our event today saying, "Well, if that's all there's going to be to it, I'm not going to come again."?

Wow! You, me, ISU, all of us -- missed out BIG TIME on an excellent opportunity to wrap our arms around some more of those "fringe" fans that are needed to grow any university's fan base.

Regardless of how Gene wants to run his program/practices -- Right now, at this point in time, ISU needs to PROMOTE it's football program. And, if ANYONE should know, you're the one that should realize that!

Up to now, you've been ONE STEP AHEAD OF EVERYBODY ELSE!

But this spring game was a big SWING and a MISS! It was VERY disappointing!

What have you been trying to accomplish these past few months? Build up anticipation, and SELL SEASON TICKETS! Ask yourself -- "Did this spring game help further that goal?" Answer -- "No!"

Could it have been a kickoff to the summer ticket selling season? Yes! But not now!

Were you out in the parking lots 4-5 hours prior to this game? We were! We were looking forward to a new era! Something to hang our support onto. We toasted Coach Mac for 12 great years, and hoped that both you and Coach Chiz would stay around long enough for ISU to get to greater heights. We're ready to drink the kool-ade and hope for better days to come, but you know what - we're been down this road before. Hey - We didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday, by the way.

So far, you've been excellent at looking at a certain situation, trying a different approach, and saying, "OK, let's try something different and see what happens. If things turn out positive, great! If not, we'll do something different." Hopefully, in the case of the spring FB game, you and Gene will make some positive changes.

Please let me know how we can help with our mutual Cyclone marketing efforts.

Thanks.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
That's a whole lot of words for a letter that can be summed up in one sentence.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Wow is all I can say. Maybe you should sober up after the tailgate before you use the computer. I really hope you didn't send this to Pollard. This was a chance for us to see the team. Do you really want the other school's to scout this game if we showed everything?

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
I've been here way longer that you, and I'll be here way longer when you're gone.

Wow, you make yourself sound like a cockroach.

I think I will wait to see the product on the field in a real game before I start spewing bile toward our team and AD. I see the spring game sorta like I see MLB spring training...it doesn't foretell success or failure. Look at it this way, dude, we won!

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Dear ISU0454,

We in here talkin about practice. We talkin about practice. Not a game. Not a game. Not a game. We talkin about practice. We not talkin about a game when it actually matters. We talkin about practice.

Regards,

Allen Iverson

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
So far, you've been excellent at looking at a certain situation, trying a different approach, and saying, "OK, let's try something different and see what happens. If things turn out positive, great! If not, we'll do something different."
dont look now, but he tried something different...a spring game with no marketing. he's letting the football team build its own hype. so you are one person who didnt enjoy watching football as opposed to jeff johnson leading pre-game cheers. i enjoyed the day...WAY TO GO JP!

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Dear ISU0454,

We in here talkin about practice. We talkin about practice. Not a game. Not a game. Not a game. We talkin about practice. We not talkin about a game when it actually matters. We talkin about practice.

Regards,

Allen Iverson

I agree and well said. :sweet:

Although I guarentee Pollard has received much worst letters than this. The original poster is intitled to his opinion, but it sounds like you had unrealistic expectations for the spring game this year.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
ISU0454,
I have an honest question for you. Are you a season ticket holder? If so, how many tickets? For how long? You can reply in a Private Message if you don't want to in this thread.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
This afternoon, at the annual spring game, with a record(?) crowd in attendance, our football team put on the WORST performance I've ever been witness to in this spring event.
I'd have to disagree with you on that. I was at a spring game during the Jim Walden era (1993, I believe) where the starters snuck by the reserves by a final score of 7-3. I've seen Pop Warner games that featured better offensive execution!

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
BvK dont argue with him...he's "been here way longer that you, and [he will] be here way longer when you're gone

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I hope and pray you didn't send this to our AD. Last I checked, he doesn't coach nor run practice. Plus, I didn't find it to be bad, just not flashy.

This just in...we have a new coach. New coaches bring new systems. It would be foolish for our new coach to show his new system to everyone.

Attitudes like this is what ruins days like these and makes ADs wonder why they're here.

*vomit*

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Dear ISU0454,
I also wish I would have seen more today.
Signed
Everyone on our schedule this year.

Dear ISU0454,
I understand your opinion.
Signed
PMS

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Okay, I don't get it? Did you read what the format of the "game" was in the paper or on line? The coaching staff is really working hard to get ready for real football next fall, and they know they are way behind. Let the man do what he thinks is best for the team.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
While we may not agree with this...um...opinion.

Lets dispute and attack the opinion, not the poster.

I mean, he seems to think everything our coach does should be only about selling tickets, not making his players better and working on his system.

We all know winning won't sell any tickets....

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Dear ISU0454,
I also wish I would have seen more today.
Signed
Everyone on our schedule this year.

Dear ISU0454,
I understand your opinion.
Signed
PMS
looks like we have a jim rome fan on our hands

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids
ISU0454, you are correct that the "game" was not the most flashy or entertaining today, but the fact is, it's a practice. We are just fans sitting in on their practice while they're trying to get ready for the fall, when there are real games that actually count.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
That was probably the worst and least thought out post I have ever read. What were you expecting in a spring game? Practice to most of us is fun to watch as we can see our coaches work their magic.

Although not the most action... seeing 10-15K fans at the game was great. I had a blast. Much better than the Coach Mac era when wed leave after a stunning 3-0 win by the red team.

Todays game was very very successful. Tons of fans. Good weather. Football in the spring.

Does this post qualify for a CF award? Like the top 10 worst? or Least thought out? or poster with the least amount of knowledge with college athletics?

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
I don't agree with this thread at all:
1. Spring game is meaningless...don't make it into something it isn't.
2. Nice to have an event with no charge..just some fun in the sun
3. No one got hurt...Chizik has been running tough practices and wanted to lay off today
4. No reason to show any opposition our new playbook...
5. What counts are W's when the season starts.
I don't get the long negative critique of this event, save your energy for the regular season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron