This is why Prohm must go........

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Seriously though, this year has to suck for those businesses nearby. ISU and KSU (and too a lesser extent OSU) rounding out the bottom of the league means there will be little to no traffic. Plenty of KU fans but theyre a lot more likely to come in, watch the game, and leave, without spending money in the area at restaurants, hotels, etc..

Decent chance the semifinals are WVU-Baylor and KU-Tech. There might be dozens of fans there from the non-KU teams.

It is a huge blow. Iowa State is really the only fan base that brings numbers and fills hotel rooms. Sure, K-State and Kansas have a lot of fans that attend but they aren't spending time in the establishments and hotels. Downtown bar and restaurant owners hate it when Iowa State makes an early exit.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
To me the correct way to analyze his success is not looking at it on a year-by-year basis but as a whole. There is literally no measure where you can say our program is in a better position than it was before he took over. We have regressed as a program under his leadership. The level of play, our national perception, all of it has gone down.

He talks about "leaving your jersey in a better place." Well, show me one way he's left his ill-fitting pants in a better place?
2 things..

1. Hoiberg had the most successful consecutive seasons probably of all time and is probably the best coach of all time here, so you're saying Prohm should be the best coach in Iowa State history..

2. The second bolded comment you just made isn't regarding any of his coaching philosophies, rather it's just snarky and serves no purpose.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Seriously though, this year has to suck for those businesses nearby. ISU and KSU (and too a lesser extent OSU) rounding out the bottom of the league means there will be little to no traffic. Plenty of KU fans but theyre a lot more likely to come in, watch the game, and leave, without spending money in the area at restaurants, hotels, etc..

Decent chance the semifinals are WVU-Baylor and KU-Tech. There might be dozens of fans there from the non-KU teams.
I’m almost hoping to see a Baylor vs Tech final for the LOL factor of the crowd. Maybe Baylor vs West Virginia would be even worse.

Reactions: CyBobby

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
A huge problem with this program is there is only one 4 year ISU player on the team, and one 3 year player (who struggles). Next year it isn't going to be much different, with there being maybe two 3 year players and maybe one 4 year and one 5th year player. Hell there will only be two 2nd year players on the team. Its not a about coaching right now its about roster management. Coaches will have misses, every coach does (yes even Fred did), but for every 2 misses you have to hit on 1 player, and keep him in your program.

You've stated the problem McDermott had his entire time at ISU. He obviously has been a good coach before and after ISU. He got plenty of good players in his time in Ames, but so many transferred out. There was never enough upper classmen to win consistently. This time it is attrition to the NBA and a few players not developing. I think it is far less about coaching and more about the roster. Things should be a little better next year barring unexpected departures, but probably not enough to entirely turn things around.

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
To me the correct way to analyze his success is not looking at it on a year-by-year basis but as a whole. There is literally no measure where you can say our program is in a better position
To me the correct way to analyze his success is not looking at it on a year-by-year basis but as a whole. There is literally no measure where you can say our program is in a better position than it was before he took over. We have regressed as a program under his leadership. The level of play, our national perception, all of it has gone down.

He talks about "leaving your jersey in a better place." Well, show me one way he's left his ill-fitting pants in a better place?

Yeah those pants need to go.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
You know, now that you mention it there was something that came up towards the end of that season that was drug up by a complete doucheb*g posing as a sports journalist by the name of Gregg Doyel (and seriously, the guy is a turd. I would pay money to watch him get a violent beating and pay better money to do it myself. The guy is the biggest POS in sports journalism, which is saying quite a bit when you put him up next to Skip Bayless). Anyway, IIRC, the "controversy" revolved around paying a third party to set up the basketball schedule and some shenanigans that revolved around that. I think it was much ado about nothing, and we didn't even get light sanctions because of it. It ended up being a complete non-story in the end. If I have my facts wrong and someone who knows better or more than I do wants to chime in, then feel free.

Now, remember that this whole site started as an effort to fire Wayne Morgan, so guys like Jeremy and others back from the start of CycloneFanatic.com were all about getting rid of him; I remember a few of them telling the rest of us about how bad things were behind the scenes and just how much trouble we potentially we could have gotten in. Naturally, when pressed for details we were given the run-around; "Oh, we can't really tell you. It's top secret! We'll tell you when we can, but it's too soon!". IMO it was complete BS.

Wasnt there something in mcdermott's contract that gave him extra time based on potential NCAA issues? I seem to remember him getting that time too. I cant find the contract online anywhere from back in those days now though

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010

And throw in the coronovirus scare. Geesh could be ugly. Some ISU fans might travel for the women I suppose.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
2 things..

1. Hoiberg had the most successful consecutive seasons probably of all time and is probably the best coach of all time here, so you're saying Prohm should be the best coach in Iowa State history..

2. The second bolded comment you just made isn't regarding any of his coaching philosophies, rather it's just snarky and serves no purpose.

I'd love an explanation as to the second is "snarky and serves no purpose" (other than the shot at his wardrobe, which I must say has improved).

Do you hire a coach thinking "hey, I know you can't possible keep this up, but just kinda try to keep the train on the tracks somewhat"? The guy makes 2 million dollars a year and the bar you want to set is "Fred did historically well so we know that isn't sustainable. Just try and keep us somewhat respectable"?

People love to act like Steve's here on some kind of volunteer basis. He is paid extremely well to craft a good basketball team. He's paid extremely well to develop a good basketball program. He has caused regression in both of those.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I'll give you guys my opinion even though you probably don't care.... I say give it a rest on saying fire Prohm. Whether he should be fired or he shouldn't is one thing, but we all know Jamie is not going to pull the trigger after this season. He's just not going to. So just suck it up and hope the new recruits get this thing turned around next season. The man is gonna have his job for one more year (if he deserves it or not). The thing that truly makes Iowa State special is the fan support, so I hope there is great fan support next year and things start heading in the right direction.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I understand what you're getting at, but in hindsight I feel like Jaime was bound and determined to get rid of Wayne one way or another, and Wayne's last season being a mediocre one after coming in with high expectations was reason enough to fire him.

Wayne's first season ended up going to MSG in the Big Apple for the NIT finals, and while the NIT finals certainly aren't a Sweet 16, I feel it was a pretty nice accomplishment nonetheless especially coming after the offseason from h*ll (the LE fiasco, Adam Haluska transferring to Iowa, etc.). His 2nd season got off to a bad start, but then we ended up winning at Kansas and made it to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament, a pretty solid season all things considered.

I was unhappy with WM being let go like that until I read somewhere that Gary Thompson reluctantly approved of it and taking the program in a new direction. But there were some really fun moments in those three seasons; I still feel like Wayne gets treated unfairly by a fair number of fans on here.

My point was simply to say that you can't use "You can't fire a guy who had two bad years and one good one" when we have an AD who literally did that. And like you said, the NIT year was a relatively good year. I don't think Prohm should or will be fired this year. I know some disagree and that's their right.

Reactions: isu83

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
When you replace an employee (or coach) due to performance problems, there is always a risk the next person could be worse. That's why you usually have to be pretty bad at your job to get fired, because of that risk.

But you have to look at the performance level and judge the risk of finding someone better vs someone worse.
Example: Lickliter. It would have been really hard to find someone worse. He was 15-39 in conference his 3 years at Iowa. That was considered rock-bottom for TOE.

CSP is 3 games better than Lick the past 3 years. (yes not a fair comparison). But is it possible JP could find someone who could be MORE than 1 win per year better than Lick?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Bingo! I’m sick of people downgrading what our program has been, and what it could be, in order to justify supporting a coach that isn’t performing at the level we expect. It’s the same BS we heard from the posters arguing that we couldn’t do better in the McDermott era.

Somewhere out there, there are fans who still seem to think CPR was the right guy because he beat Iowa.

Reactions: CyBobby

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
When you replace an employee (or coach) due to performance problems, there is always a risk the next person could be worse. That's why you usually have to be pretty bad at your job to get fired, because of that risk.

But you have to look at the performance level and judge the risk of finding someone better vs someone worse.
Example: Lickliter. It would have been really hard to find someone worse. He was 15-39 in conference his 3 years at Iowa. That was considered rock-bottom for TOE.

CSP is 3 games better than Lick the past 3 years. (yes not a fair comparison). But is it possible JP could find someone who could be MORE than 1 win per year better than Lick?
By that logic, Iowa could’ve hired an even worse coach than Lickliter when he was fired.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't think Jameel was ever a great defender. He won the award because of shot blocking.

Yeah make him guard a guy or have to be physical and it didn't go well.

His job (and when he was at his best imo) was to rim run and swat shots and rinse and repeat. That senior season iirc he'd try to drive at times....it didn't go well.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza