This is why Prohm must go........

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Top 25? When Hilton is right it’s one of the very best atmospheres in college basketball.

but maybe you should step out of your little bubble and see what other schools have.

there is definitely enough to win at a consistent level. But when you make ridiculous statements like that one, it negates the rest of your “thoughts”
When you only talk about Hilton it negates the rest of your “thoughts.” I’m not talking just about Hilton. The basketball team has their own complex. They have their own practice facility. I’m talking about everything the team has at there disposal. Most schools out there don’t have what ISU has for there basketball program. ISU has top of the line facilities for this program. I’m not arguing with you anymore because like you always do, you spin what people say to fit your agenda or just make up crap.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Just think--- there was a long stretch where we didn't know Bolton was going to be eligible. I don't think they announced it until late September. So there was a serious chance we were going to go into this season without him. I mean...my god. We may not have won 8 games.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Until Jamie Pollard got to ISU, ISU never had the facilities or the budget in any sport to legitimately compete in any sport. You people that bring up the historic records or say people need to look at perspective, the times have changed since then. ISU now has the budget and facilities to compete in both football and basketball, and the expectations should be raised, especially in basketball with the coach we have who inherited a top 10 team and a program that had gained national recognition over the 3-4 years before he arrived. That coach has now set all time record lows for the program in multiple categories. There is no reason for it with what ISU has now for facilities and budget.

I think people look at ISUs facilities now compared to what we had 10 years ago and just assume they are better than they are relative to the rest of the country. You can see what many schools in the top 6 conferences have. ISUs facilities - practice facilities, player accommodations, etc. are fine but I would say they are nothing special relative to most power conference teams.

Unlike the past ISU's facilities are no longer a detriment to recruiting. However, they are not a draw when comparing them to almost any power conference team. Everybody's making a lot more money, and everybody is spending it, and almost everybody in a major conference has good to great facilities for players to live, study and practice.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
When you only talk about Hilton it negates the rest of your “thoughts.” I’m not talking just about Hilton. The basketball team has their own complex. They have their own practice facility. I’m talking about everything the team has at there disposal. Most schools out there don’t have what ISU has for there basketball program. ISU has top of the line facilities for this program. I’m not arguing with you anymore because like you always do, you spin what people say to fit your agenda or just make up crap.
But it makes fans like him feel better to turn this into a discussion about what he thinks ISU lacks rather than a discussion of Prohm’s deficiencies. What a loon!

I don’t know if ISU is a top-25 program, but it doesn’t need to be in order to have better coaching than what this staff has demonstrated.

Staff changes are needed. Coach Prohm can win here if he gets help. I assume he’ll do that, but if not he needs to go.

• Informative
Reactions: isu83

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Just think--- there was a long stretch where we didn't know Bolton was going to be eligible. I don't think they announced it until late September. So there was a serious chance we were going to go into this season without him. I mean...my god. We may not have won 8 games.

My Frosh year, 1975, we won 3-games !
My Soph year, we won 8-games :)

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Did we not just make the tournament 6-7 times in the last decade? Why do we have to default back to the expectations of the 70s just because we're bad again? Why can't that be what our normal is now?

Bingo! I’m sick of people downgrading what our program has been, and what it could be, in order to justify supporting a coach that isn’t performing at the level we expect. It’s the same BS we heard from the posters arguing that we couldn’t do better in the McDermott era.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Those folks are committed to their mindset now. We had a guy literally say prohm didn’t help tyrese, it was 2 months with Bruce Weber. Those folks deserve to be made fun of.

Now we have people doing all they can to diminish any positive event that occurred with him as coach. He didn’t do anything to help nba guys get there. Ironically, the recruits all said they went here in part because he develops nba players.

truth is, there will be a segment of this fan base that would be upset if we went to the sweet 16 next year if he is the coach.

I don’t think it will happen. I think he is gone after next year. But I will continue to hope he wins.

Iowa State is a top 35 job in college basketball, at least at this moment. Wins and losses aren’t going to be what effects that rating.
I think essentially every single thing would have to go right for next year's team to be Sweet 16 caliber. Returning guys would have to improve (some would have to improve a ton), Javan Johnson has to be a big hit, two out of our three incoming freshman are going to have to be immediately ready to play at this level, and we're going to need one maybe two transfers to come in to help out as well. All of that needs to happen and Prohm is going to have to do a hell of a job coaching them.

It's not impossible, and after almost everything went wrong this last year in regards to the off season and overall season it'd be awesome to see everything go right, but it's wishful thinking. I think if next year's team makes the NCAA tournament there will be a lot of people who will buy a little bit of stock in Coach Prohm again, but it's going to take multiple years of success for people to completely buy in. In my opinion, it all starts with how Prohm handles this off-season. He has to get a player or two from either the transfer portal or high level JUCO.

My expectation for Prohm as the head coach is that he puts together a team that in the down years makes strides throughout the year and gives itself a chance to get into the NCAA tournament and at least makes the NIT. Maybe, MAYBE have a year like this one where for some reason the team can't figure it out. But this year makes two out of three absolutely terrible years. In our down years, we should have 15-16 wins the last week or so, where you could possibly win the next one or two regular season games, maybe pick up one in the conference tournament, and you're closing in on the bubble or putting yourself on the bubble.

Iowa State is a top-35 job at the moment. I'll agree with that. But Prohm has to start coaching like a top-35 coach. Coaching isn't all x's and o's, and I think everyone can agree with that. Prohm probably will never be in the top-35 in that category and that's fine, but he has to make up for it in other areas. He has to recruit at a sustainable level. He has to get guys to commit to the program and not their NBA draft status. If he can't do those things he's going to find his way back at a mid-major school.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Mckay won Big 12 DPOY his junior season. He might've been the worst defender in the conference the next year. What changed??
source.gif

• Funny

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Mckay won Big 12 DPOY his junior season. He might've been the worst defender in the conference the next year. What changed??
Jameel was always a head case for Hoiberg and frankly was a pain in the a** to coach. He showed up late to practice, constantly complained about weight lifting and workouts, and when things weren't going his way, he'd develop a terrible attitude and sometimes would just give up altogether. There are tons of stories about that.

Jameel didn't buy into Prohm at all, especially because Prohm didn't know how to handle that situation. On one hand, Prohm wanted to be the nice guy and win over the roster, but on the other hand, it was his team now and some of the stuff that used to fly for Hoiberg was not going to fly under him. Jameel didn't like that and that's why his senior year was so weird. It started effecting Jameel's play and when that happened, Jameel started making excuses for it. Remember he thought he tore something in his knee and held himself out of a few games even when the training staff said everything was fine? Jameel had an MRI done and they didn't find one thing wrong structurally.

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
Largest loss in Hilton history is fair, but the 20 point loss thing is not a real stat and embarrassing is not measurable.

Maybe the lows are too low, but the highs are on par with the best in program history.

Really? The most losses at home by 20 or more? What about losses at home by 15 or 21 or 25 or 19 with a full moon? It is not a commonly used and recognized stat. Come on.

This is a standard team stat line from Sports Reference for the 18-19 Clones:

Team and Opponent Stats

G MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS PTS/G

Interesting. I don't see Largest Loss in Hilton History listed among your official stats?? Neither are overall W-L record or Conference W-L record??

Surely margin of victory/defeat matter??

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

This was a jereseib argument. What changed? Playing a full season and actual accountabiliy.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

well at least you didn’t understand what was written. Seriously, do you guys actually read what is written?

You obviously don’t know what other schools actually have.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyBobby

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
This was a jereseib argument. What changed? Playing a full season and actual accountabiliy.

If you watched them play Fred’s last year, the defensive approach was to basically funnel everything to the middle. McKay was a great shot blocker.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
My Frosh year, 1975, we won 3-games !
My Soph year, we won 8-games :)

I came to ISU that same year, fall of 1975. Trickey was the coach and if there were 5000 fans at Hilton it was a big crowd.

Trickey left, Nance came, and it was marginally better. But pretty crappy basketball overall.

Times have been basically good since Orr came, with a few hiccups. But I honestly don't feel Prohm can 1) be a good in-game coach or 2) control his players, and make them do what he wants them to do.

You can recruit all the talent in the world, but without teaching them and leading them it's a colossal waste of time.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Bingo! I’m sick of people downgrading what our program has been, and what it could be, in order to justify supporting a coach that isn’t performing at the level we expect. It’s the same BS we heard from the posters arguing that we couldn’t do better in the McDermott era.

So other than a four year stretch where we had a coach that brilliantly transformed the transfer market, which has now been copied by everyone else.

what is the actual historical records of Iowa State basketball?

• Winner

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron