This is why Prohm must go........

isubb79

Jul 16, 2009
Pollard will not fire Steve even after a poor showing next year. His make or break season will be Bolton’s sr year. Admitting the Prohm hire was a failure will not be easy for him.
The financial cost of keeping Prohm around will eventually impacted Pollards thinking. This probably won't be until after next year but it will likely happen at some point.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
I've asked...it has to be.

The blind optimism based on nothing is way too familiar.
Look we were really bad this year. But you guys don’t like the class we have coming in? As bad as things were, add in 3 big time recruits and we are easily a top 25 team. We have good role players, just no stars left after TH got hurt. Help if on the way. That’s not blind optimism. I’m being somewhat hopeful. Nothing wrong with that.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Look we were really bad this year. But you guys don’t like the class we have coming in? As bad as things were, add in 3 big time recruits and we are easily a top 25 team. We have good role players, just no stars left after TH got hurt. Help if on the way. That’s not blind optimism. I’m being somewhat hopeful. Nothing wrong with that.
We got the 9th best Big 12 coach (maybe 10th after Shaka is fired) for next year and the 6th best class. It’s definitely a challenge being excited for next year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

So, it is 1976.

How is ISU 'easily' a Top 25 team? The recruiting class isn't even top half of the B12 and a common theme is they're not shooters.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The problem with this argument is you're just talking about a window of 3 years for Prohm. If you or anyone else is going to throw out Prohm's first two years and not credit him for those successes, then that's fine, but your argument now comes down to a 3 year period of time.

In those 3 years we've been bad for two, and pretty good for one of them. Does that justify firing Steve? Because if you say that it does, then man it's going to be tough to sell this job to other coaches. Coaches are not going to want to come to Iowa State because if you have two bad years out of 3, you're going to be fired.

All good and fair points. I’m on record saying Prohm should and will get another year. But I’m also on record saying that I see the signs of a pretty major downward trend and signs that he wasn’t as good in those first 2 years as the talent level on the team. It’s rare that coaches turn around this downward trend as above average coaches don’t need 6 years to figure things out.

So let’s give him next year and when we are in the bottom on the league again (which I fully expect us to be), I guess we can rehash this conversation again.

I really hope I’m wrong and Prohm turns things around. But I’d bet money I’m not.

Reactions: Cyfanisu and Balls

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

I’m glad you are an optimist but we are historically bad this year. And expecting 3 freshman to come in and allow us to fully change into a good team is a very difficult task. Not impossible, and I’ll be rooting hard for it to happen, but I don’t expect from going from losing 20 games (many in blowout fashion) for the first time since the 70s to an NCAA contender.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I'll say it again - do you want an average coach at Iowa State or an above average coach?

The entire purpose of firing and hiring coaches is to find above average coaches, right? We have enough data to show that Steve Prohm isn't an above average coach - would anyone disagree with that? I could make the case that he's below average or even average - but, for me as a fan, that't not good enough and I want more. That doesn't mean I expect more Sweet 16s, Final 4s, or conference titles. But I do expect us to not finish dead last or second to last 2 out of 3 years.

Are you saying that because Matt Campbell has Iowa State football where it is, if he left, we should go back to hoping for one bowl game per decade and losing seasons 3 out of 5 years? Because historically, that's where Iowa State football has been. Hoiberg, just like Matt Campbell, raised the bar for Iowa State athletics. And I don't think we should settle for "well historically we have been worse so this coach is doing just fine". That's a loser mentality.

I agree with you 100% "The Loser Mentality"....Has got to GO......If we as a fanbase accept Losing, then that is all we will ever get...Losing in mbb is not going to cut it at ISU....

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
All good and fair points. I’m on record saying Prohm should and will get another year. But I’m also on record saying that I see the signs of a pretty major downward trend and signs that he wasn’t as good in those first 2 years as the talent level on the team. It’s rare that coaches turn around this downward trend as above average coaches don’t need 6 years to figure things out.

So let’s give him next year and when we are in the bottom on the league again (which I fully expect us to be), I guess we can rehash this conversation again.

I really hope I’m wrong and Prohm turns things around. But I’d bet money I’m not.
Yeah that's fair as well. I'm in the camp that Prohm has done an average job here. He was given a plethora of talent when he came in his first year, and in his second year he did a very good job of finding a couple of pieces to work with those guys that returned. I also think he did a pretty darn good job in coaching that 2016-2017 team. Ever since that year, I've had doubts. His ability to recruit and find high talent is great, but it's the role player guys that he's had loads of trouble finding/developing, and those role players are usually the difference between a good season and a bad one.

This season is missing those middle guys. We had talent in Solomon, Halliburton, and Bolton but honestly for this specific season I'd have a hard time choosing another player on this team that I would want on my team. That's not to say that Conditt, Grill, or Jackson won't develop, because I honestly think all three of those guys are gym rats, have skills, and their work ethics will get them there. But this year none of those guys are ready to play at this level yet both ways for significant minutes.

I'm not being blindly optimistic in Prohm either. I don't think our recruiting class alone next year is going to be able to come in and save the day. That's just too much to put on a bunch of freshman. Other pieces are going to have to be brought to this team, guys are going to have to get in the gym and develop and Prohm has a chess match in front of him to try and figure out how to not only be successful next year, but be successful for the following year. We've already seen Coach Prohm turn around a team's talent level in a year. Two years ago we were bad and then BOOM we're a top 25 team again. Next year could be a similar situation, but Prohm cannot have next year go the same way. He can't allow whatever happened last year to happen again. You can't lose to a TCU team at home. You can't lose by 20+ @ Texas and @ WVU. I'm not saying you can't lose on the road, but you can't get boat raced like that.

I don't know how next year is going to go, but I think a goal for the team should be to go .500 in the conference and make the NCAA tournament. Those are not unrealistic expectations and who cares if you're in the bottom half of the league if you go 9-9 and end up in the Big Dance?

Reactions: cycloneworld

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't know how next year is going to go, but I think a goal for the team should be to go .500 in the conference and make the NCAA tournament. Those are not unrealistic expectations and who cares if you're in the bottom half of the league if you go 9-9 and end up in the Big Dance?

That will massively exceed expectations for the team outside of our own fanbase. Preseason based on metrics and coach's polls, stuff like that, we'll be expected to be at the bottom of the league again.

• Informative

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

It's not a conversation at that point. If we're at the bottom of the league again then he will be fired or we will no longer be an athletic department serious about basketball.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'd love an explanation as to the second is "snarky and serves no purpose" (other than the shot at his wardrobe, which I must say has improved).

Do you hire a coach thinking "hey, I know you can't possible keep this up, but just kinda try to keep the train on the tracks somewhat"? The guy makes 2 million dollars a year and the bar you want to set is "Fred did historically well so we know that isn't sustainable. Just try and keep us somewhat respectable"?

People love to act like Steve's here on some kind of volunteer basis. He is paid extremely well to craft a good basketball team. He's paid extremely well to develop a good basketball program. He has caused regression in both of those.

Prohm is the 8th highest paid coach in the Big 12...

• Funny
  • Winner
Reactions: CyBobby and isu83

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'll give you guys my opinion even though you probably don't care.... I say give it a rest on saying fire Prohm. Whether he should be fired or he shouldn't is one thing, but we all know Jamie is not going to pull the trigger after this season. He's just not going to. So just suck it up and hope the new recruits get this thing turned around next season. The man is gonna have his job for one more year (if he deserves it or not). The thing that truly makes Iowa State special is the fan support, so I hope there is great fan support next year and things start heading in the right direction.

Unless it gets even worse, he won't be fired after next year either. The fire CSP idiots don't even realize that his seat is even lukewarm yet.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz