The magic is gone

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
People bring up Duke and Kentucky for all sorts of stupid reasons.
We lose at home a lot more than anybody should, and we get run out of Hilton way too often. That should be indisputable.

To make it indisputable you should do a compare and contrast with say the top 50 or so teams over the course of years having the same coach.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Typical over reaction to a emotional game.. The Magic is there... the Magic is the fan base sticking together... the Magic is not acting a fool and over reacting to a loss. The Magic is staying true to your colors and team... that's the magic.. and it will always be ISU
The Magic is what us fans make it. The Magic is continuing to go to games even if you play poorly the last game. The Magic is last night being down 16 and then in a span of a minute and a half, all of a sudden being down 7 with a legit chance to flip the script. Now, we didn't capitalize on that and obviously everything went downhill from there. But the team doesn't make the Magic, we do, and we always will. Things will get better.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
That wasn't the point.

Do consistent NCAA tournament qualifying programs get beat badly at home on a semi-regular basis?

Do you think ISU has had recent trends of really bad basketball?

Last year's swoon was bad. This year we're over estimating the talent and yes, much of that falls on CSP. I do not see an upward trend at this time but feel we're holding steady while the roster shakes out.

We're missing toughness on this team. We've missing player leadership on this team. We've missing length and shooting on this team. We've missing experience on this team. We're missing roster continuity on this team. Ultimately it falls on CSP. I'm disappointed but I defer to CSP's entire body of work and think he can get it done.

Reactions: VeloClone

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
The magic comes from the crowd, the crowd feeds off a fast pace exciting brand of basketball. But when guys are standing around for 25 seconds of the shot clock then jack up a NBA 3, that is not an exciting brand of basketball. Therefore the crowd doesnt get involved, I said this all last year and no one cared.

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Typical over reaction to a emotional game.. The Magic is there... the Magic is the fan base sticking together... the Magic is not acting a fool and over reacting to a loss. The Magic is staying true to your colors and team... that's the magic.. and it will always be ISU

Is it easier or more difficult for teams to come in to Hilton and win than in the past?

Reactions: heitclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Last year's swoon was bad. This year we're over estimating the talent and yes, much of that falls on CSP. I do not see an upward trend at this time but feel we're holding steady while the roster shakes out.

We're missing toughness on this team. We've missing player leadership on this team. We've missing length and shooting on this team. We've missing experience on this team. We're missing roster continuity on this team. Ultimately it falls on CSP. I'm disappointed but I defer to CSP's entire body of work and think he can get it done.

Something to consider is that these are trends of the past 3 seasons....and really, it took until February for Monte's group to really start reaching potential. Granted they were missing a true 5 but if that's the case, adjust to their strengths.

I'm not ready to see CSP go, but his room for error is getting pretty thin.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Something to consider is that these are trends of the past 3 seasons....and really, it took until February for Monte's group to really start reaching potential. Granted they were missing a true 5 but if that's the case, adjust to their strengths.

This is where I am at too. I really want him to succeed, but that will require some growth from him.

I'm off 'the bandwagon' but that doesn't mean I want him fired. If we miss the tourney this year AND next year, it will be hard to not call for his job. If that plays out, Pollard's hand will probably be forced.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

For me to feel good about this team for the future I would like to see a few things going forward:

1. Conditt getting more minutes and start because he's the best post player out there and he hasn't fouled out yet so fouls shouldn't even be in the discussion.
2. The two freshman playing have to make some sort of contributions on the offensive end. Neither have shot the ball well at all or even scored for that matter and they're getting too many minutes to not score. They're young and need to get their feet wet but they have got to start doing something.
3. Shot selection.. some of the threes you have to take because you're wide open and in the flow of the offense, but the ones that are contested and not and rhythm have to be eliminated. You could see Prohm pulling his hair out last night on multiple offensive possessions after bad shots.
4. Some sort of offense / plan. These guys need some sort of structure. When things break down they will have to make plays but you have to get these guys into some sort of structured offense. This should also help with the shot selection.
5. If you're not going to play man to man well, maybe run a zone every now and again or even that full court press. It seems when we're in that press, it throws teams out of their rhythm and we do play the passing lanes well enough to cause some turnovers which lead to fast break points (our best offense).

This team will improve as the year goes on. We are still a young team with not a lot of experience. Bolton's on a new team, Nixon is on a new team, Solo didn't play at all last year, Conditt played sparingly, and Grill and Jackson are true freshman. Hell, the only guys that actually have experience playing with one another are Halliburton and Jacobson! I'm disappointed in how this team played last night but there's a ton of season left. Let's all see how it goes because that's all we can do anyway.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That wasn't the point.

Do consistent NCAA tournament qualifying programs get beat badly at home on a semi-regular basis?

Do you think ISU has had recent trends of really bad basketball?

Actually yes, a lot of teams that make the ncaa tournament have 4 or more home losses. It's pretty dang common. Some of those losses are absolute beat downs.

Last year in the Big 12:
Last year, OU got a 9 seed with a 13 point home loss to KSU, a 30 point home loss to Baylor, 1 point to ISU, 12 point loss to TT. Baylor got a 9 seed with a 3 point loss to Texas Southern, a 1 point loss to SFA, 5 point loss to KSU, 7 point loss to KSU, and a 4 point loss to KSU. KSU got a 4 seed with a 20 point home loss to Texas, a 14 point loss to ISU.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This is where I am at too. I really want him to succeed, but that will require some growth from him.

I'm off 'the bandwagon' but that doesn't mean I want him fired. If we miss the tourney this year AND next year, it will be hard to not call for his job. If that plays out, Pollard's hand will probably be forced.

Correct. The honeymoon is over, not that he ever got one following Fred. He needs to perform from here on out.

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I'll just chirp-in quietly and say teams in transition ofttimes look horrible early in the year. I root for an outfit that at times can't throw it in the ocean standing on a pier.

See where the team is mid-conference play and revisit this thread. My guess is, they'll be a whole lot different than what we saw last night - for the better. Prohm has lots of talent with an all-conference point guard. It takes time to meld.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Actually yes, a lot of teams that make the ncaa tournament have 4 or more home losses. It's pretty dang common. Some of those losses are absolute beat downs.

Last year in the Big 12:
Last year, OU got a 9 seed with a 13 point home loss to KSU, a 30 point home loss to Baylor, 1 point to ISU, 12 point loss to TT. Baylor got a 9 seed with a 3 point loss to Texas Southern, a 1 point loss to SFA, 5 point loss to KSU, 7 point loss to KSU, and a 4 point loss to KSU. KSU got a 4 seed with a 20 point home loss to Texas, a 14 point loss to ISU.

Good info.

So as a fan base is it assumed we're OK with this happening at ISU, or are we OK with having NCAA tourney years be less common?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Good info.

So as a fan base is it assumed we're OK with this happening at ISU, or are we OK with having NCAA tourney years be less common?

Why do people ask incredibly stupid questions?

Obviously we want to win every game, especially against Iowa. The sky isn't falling after this loss and nothing for this season is decided. If we make the tourney this year, which I acknowledge is looking to be a tough road right now, we'd have made the tourney every year but 1 under Prohm.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Why do people ask incredibly stupid questions?

Obviously we want to win every game, especially against Iowa. The sky isn't falling after this loss and nothing for this season is decided. If we make the tourney this year, which I acknowledge is looking to be a tough road right now, we'd have made the tourney every year but 1 under Prohm.
The sky isn't falling, but it's starting to crack..

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Saying the magic is gone to me is a direct shot at the fans, and us dropping more games than we should at Hilton the last few years is anything but the fans fault.
The fans are only part of the equation. If the fan support doesn’t inspire effort from the team then it’s gone either way. We just have to hope Hilton doesn’t become Gallagher Iba. That place was feared in the early 2000s but poor teams coaching and effort has emptied out that arena. Losing in Hilton is becoming normal and the fans will start to stay home if we keep this trajectory.

Maybe ISU can weather it but we have to start improving, not standing still.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
People at Kentucky complain about old rich donors making Rupp a morgue as well. But guess what, they defend their home court.

I would say that "Old Rich Donors", are the principal reason that these monuments to athletics get built in the first place....No one is more vicious than and Old Rich Donor who just got beat by their instate rival....

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

Help Support Us

Become a patron