The magic is gone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
No one was calling it a fan problem.

My point is, from 2000-2001, when ISU won 36 straight home games and won the Big 12 going away each year, was Hilton magic in effect? We also had 10k tickets sold per game for one of those years. So if Hilton Magic was happening, why was the stadium a minimum 1/3 empty for that time?

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
My point is, from 2000-2001, when ISU won 36 straight home games and won the Big 12 going away each year, was Hilton magic in effect? We also had 10k tickets sold per game for one of those years. So if Hilton Magic was happening, why was the stadium a minimum 1/3 empty for that time?
Remember who our AD was during that time? He sure knew how to get fans excited about buying tickets...

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Have you all forgotten that we just beat a ranked team on Sunday?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Because it has nothing to do with the fans? That's just PR to sell tickets.

The Magic happens when talented teams with good coaching get big wins. The place gets loud and crazy, but it's all about players and coaching, not # of tickets sold.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
This is what gets me. We didn't just lose at home. We got DESTROYED at home. I would have been basically OK with a close loss at home. As people have pointed out, home losses happen, even to teams like Kentucky or Duke. But the game was never really close, from the opening tip-off. Sure, there was that point where we cut the lead to single-digits, but only a minute or two later Iowa was back up to 22 points ahead.

People point out "Kentucky and Duke both lost at home." Sure, but how long has it been since Kentucky or Duke got DESTROYED at home? Has that ever happened? Even in that disaster year in which Coach K briefly retired and Duke finished last in their conference, did they suffer a humiliating defeat at home?*

*I just checked, and Duke's worst at-home defeat in the Coach K era is in 2009 to North Carolina. But since Duke actually LED by 8 points at halftime in that game, I can't call that a "humiliating defeat" at home like last night's game was. As for Kentucky, their worst home loss was 14 points to a team called Gardner-Webb in 2007.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Prohm now 12-11 against power conference opponents in Hilton since the start of the 17-18 season not to mention the embarrassing UW-Milwaukee loss. He's done it, he's killed the Magic.

A few years ago there were posts that the magic died because old white guys got the good seats and never stood the entire game and cheered.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
A few years ago there were posts that the magic died because old white guys got the good seats and never stood the entire game and cheered.
People at Kentucky complain about old rich donors making Rupp a morgue as well. But guess what, they defend their home court.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
That's awful. It really does feel like literally anyone can walk into Hilton and win. Top tier programs don't let that happen

WERE we ever a top tier program? That would mean we've consistently won conference championships and gone deep in the tourney. I won't google it but I'm thinking every page will say we've never, ever done that. LE shared a league title but he was lightning in a bottle and nothing else.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
If Niang doesn't break his foot, we were easily the hottest team in the country and would have had a very real shot at the championship that year.
At worst I think we beat UConn and go to the Elite 8. Even if we lose to Michigan State in the next round Id take that. Elite 8s aren't easy to come by

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
WERE we ever a top tier program? That would mean we've consistently won conference championships and gone deep in the tourney. I won't google it but I'm thinking every page will say we've never, ever done that. LE shared a league title but he was lightning in a bottle and nothing else.
Over a stretch of 3 years we were had 2 3 seeds and a 4 seed in the tournament. Feels like for at least a little bit the answer was yes. When I say top tier I don't mean become a blue blood. Just one of the top 10-15 teams in CBB current day.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Over a stretch of 3 years we were had 2 3 seeds and a 4 seed in the tournament. Feels like for at least a little bit the answer was yes. When I say top tier I don't mean become a blue blood. Just one of the top 10-15 teams in CBB current day.

Seeds translated to what? No banners. No league titles. Just a lot of buzz because the media liked Fred.

Seriously I think we've over-estimated our program by quite a bit.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There are 350 D1 basketball programs. You've used 2 of the ALL TIME greatest programs to make a point.

That wasn't the point.

Do consistent NCAA tournament qualifying programs get beat badly at home on a semi-regular basis?

Do you think ISU has had recent trends of really bad basketball?

cykick

Aug 13, 2015
Prohm now 12-11 against power conference opponents in Hilton since the start of the 17-18 season not to mention the embarrassing UW-Milwaukee loss. He's done it, he's killed the Magic.
Typical over reaction to a emotional game.. The Magic is there... the Magic is the fan base sticking together... the Magic is not acting a fool and over reacting to a loss. The Magic is staying true to your colors and team... that's the magic.. and it will always be ISU

• Winner
Reactions: riceville98