Steele Jantz.....

CyVik7

Nov 15, 2010
Altoona, IA
Ok, Paul.

Tell me why? 1) Jantz is not the starting QB right now; 2) It's very possible he won't be next year either; 3) He's a tremondous athlete; 4) a school like ISU doesn't have a ton of those guys laying around; 5) it's not like he'll forget how to play QB if we have to move him back there, Kerry Meier was a starting WR/back up QB for 3 years at KU.

I'd be fine with moving him to WR if it was needed if he didnt win the job...but not safety. He'd risk injury and then when the time comes where we do need him...he won't be available.

WR is the only logical position to move him to.

Any QB that changes positions, changes to WR.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Ok, Paul.

Tell me why? 1) Jantz is not the starting QB right now; 2) It's very possible he won't be next year either; 3) He's a tremondous athlete; 4) a school like ISU doesn't have a ton of those guys laying around; 5) it's not like he'll forget how to play QB if we have to move him back there, Kerry Meier was a starting WR/back up QB for 3 years at KU.

Jantz is not moving, especially to safety. The guy does not seem like he likes contact all that much. I know you really like the idea of QBs to WR but the probability of a guy starting to learn the position (which he has never played) in the spring at the earliest and getting to the point where he is more productive than our other guys approaches zero.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I think they should watch the QB's in winter-spring-summer workouts and whoever looks the best, name him the starter.

That's what I'd do anyway.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I would assume, as most others have, that there will be a competition for the starting QB role. I'd also guess that unless Steele is the clear front-runner, Barnett will get the nod simply because he is a Sophomore and Steele will be a Senior.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Any insiders get to watch Richardson with the scout team and how he looks? His high school highlight tape was so impressive (at a big Florida High School) that it's hard to imagine he won't be in the mix.

CysMyBoy

Oct 26, 2010
Ames, IA
Defense wasn't as good in the first 6 games as it was in the last 6.....don't forget about that.

I agree that the D improved over the course of the season, but isn't the "grind it out" read-option offense have something to do with that? I don't remember seeing nearly as many quick 3 and outs with JB under center.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I thought there was a unwritten rule that no one but Clones21 can start a thread titled "Steele Jantz"

CyVik7

Nov 15, 2010
Altoona, IA
I agree that the D improved over the course of the season, but isn't the "grind it out" read-option offense have something to do with that? I don't remember seeing nearly as many quick 3 and outs with JB under center.

Very good point. With Steele, it was hard to milk the clock and give our D rest because there were so many quick 3 and outs. I think the play calling def changed when Jared got put in.

Maybe ISU can only be and should only be a run first type of football team.....

I don't want to turn into Iowa though haha :eek:

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Defense wasn't as good in the first 6 games as it was in the last 6.....don't forget about that.
It could be argued that the defense didn't look as good because the offense couldn't sustain drives and let the defense rest. When JB took over in the A&M game and we weren't going 3 and out every possession, the defense played a lot better than it had and I remember telling some of my buddies that we can actually play some pretty good D when they are rested and not on the field for 40 min a game.

EDIT: Looks like CysMyBoy already made my point.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It could be argued that the defense didn't look as good because the offense couldn't sustain drives and let the defense rest. When JB took over in the A&M game and we weren't going 3 and out every possession, the defense played a lot better than it had and I remember telling some of my buddies that we can actually play some pretty good D when they are rested and not on the field for 40 min a game.

I still don't buy that. It's a convenient excuse, but it's way too easy.

We saw offense and defense trade 3 and outs for 3 consecutive series in an early game. Following that, the offense went on a long, sustained drive which gave the defense plenty of rest. The D responded by giving up a quick touchdown.

The D helped kill off the Texas game before the offense even saw the field.

Early on, the defense was just way too soft. They didn't need the offense's help to collapse, and often collapsed while the offense was doing its part.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
the only stat that matters is W/L...........Barnett beat two top 25 teams and in his two losses (against top 10 teams on the road), ISU was driving to win/tie and competitve thru 3 quarters.

Defense wasn't good because thr offense kept turning the ball over in their own territory. Look at the Texas game. The defense made a couple of nice stops early in the game, but they were put in a horrible spot over and over again. Once the turnovers dropped off later in the season, the defense actually had a chance to shine. Watch the game, don't just go off stats.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Very good point. With Steele, it was hard to milk the clock and give our D rest because there were so many quick 3 and outs. I think the play calling def changed when Jared got put in.

Maybe ISU can only be and should only be a run first type of football team.....

I don't want to turn into Iowa though haha :eek:

Steele doesn't run the read option nearly as well and JB. I think that all goes back to familiarity with the system. JB has been running a similar spread since he was a sophmore in HS.

Steele is a very talented athlete but he may not have enough time to really learn the system and improve his decision making in the passing game.

He will be a very valuable backup QB if he does not win the starting job though.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I'm sure more consistency by our offense did help the defense. But after the Missouri debacle something shook up our defense and they turned it around to where we now have one of the better defenses in the Big 12. Don't know if there was an emotional players meeting or what, but it's worked.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron