Steele Jantz.....

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Steele doesn't run the read option nearly as well and JB. I think that all goes back to familiarity with the system. JB has been running a similar spread since he was a sophmore in HS.

Steele is a very talented athlete but he may not have enough time to really learn the system and improve his decision making in the passing game.

He will be a very valuable backup QB if he does not win the starting job though.

Also, IMO, if Steele could run the offense with the efficiency and execution that JB showed at times, the offense could be incredible. Jantz is just that talented.

That said, JB will improve and after the bowl win :yes: his confidence will be very high. If JB can improve his deep passes and increase his accuracy in the short game, he should have success matriculating the ball down the field next year.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
To me the question about Steele Jantz is, were the turnovers due in part to the injury? if the injury didn't play a part in it, he has a long ways to go with ball security. The game he was pulled the injury clearly was effecting him.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
steele won the job last fall, don't count him out to win it again.

whats tough to decipher in practice is the the turnovers. Jantz probably is capable of making more big plays, but JB is smarter with the football.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Seems like JB makes fewer mistakes. Steele even in his Cal days was williing to throw deep down the field in a crowd. If Streele has fewer turnovers, he moves further ahead in the class. My guess is Sam will be number three next year unless stuff happens like this year.

CyVik7

Nov 15, 2010
Altoona, IA
steele won the job last fall, don't count him out to win it again.

whats tough to decipher in practice is the the turnovers. Jantz probably is capable of making more big plays, but JB is smarter with the football.

Stats don't lie. Steele and JB were very close in turnovers....both INTs and Fumbles.

Steele couldnt run the read option very well towards the end there because he was injured and, IMO, didnt want to keep the football ever or rarely in fear or injuring himself further.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
To me the question about Steele Jantz is, were the turnovers due in part to the injury? if the injury didn't play a part in it, he has a long ways to go with ball security. The game he was pulled the injury clearly was effecting him.

I think it was a bit of both. Jantz made questionable decisions before he was injured as well as after. There was a notable difference after he was hurt. He looked to run a lot less and when he did, he seemed more tentative and fumbled a few times possibly because of this. His accuracy seemed to falter after the injury as well. In the Iowa game, he threw a frozen rope through two defenders to hit Money with a perfect pass to keep the game alive. After he was hurt, a lot of balls looked like they were floating on him which can be attributed to his plant foot being way less than 100%. His injury and resulting loss of confidence really hurt his decision making development. He looked visibly flustered at times, especially in the aTm game.

I think if Jantz is healthy, improves his decision making, and grasp of the offense (whatever it may be) he could take the starting spot back and tear it up.

Or, it could just be too much for him to digest due to his lack of experience as a QB and JB will tighten his hold on the starting spot.

Either way, we have two capable QBs who can win games for us next year.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
JB will be the presumptive starter like any other starter we have returning next year.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
I like barnett. Seems we were more competetive with him as a starter. The offense looked better and that was against better competition

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Steele wasn't ready to start in the Big 12 IMO. It's unfortunate he was put in that situation but we didn't have much choice. I think you'll see him improved quite a bit, just like Barnett will be. I think it will take a lot for Jared to lose his starting spot but Jantz still has a chance.

I don't think Richardson will be a factor in 2012. Too soon and zero experience. I can't envision him beating out a healthy Steele or Jared.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
the offense under Jared seemed to have fewer 3 and outs which helped the Cyclone Defense tremendously, Steele made some great plays and also won some games...my sense is if Steele was in the mix as an equal competitor for time, he would have gotten some snaps in late action vs Oklahoma to see what he could do and help reeastablish his confidence. Jared got the job presumably due to injury/ineffectiveness and kept it by winning some games and keeping his teams in other games. No reason to think that won't continue

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
Austin Arnaud had some interesting comments (regarding the QB situation) on last week's broadcast. He thought that the QB competition would be wide open next Spring. He described the 3 QBs this way (if my memory is correct): Steele Jantz is a great athlete. Way more so than the other two. Stronger arm. Bigger. Faster. Can make plays that the other two probably can't. Jared Barnett is an excellant game manager. Does not get rattled. Decent arm. Pretty good runner. Sam Richardson has "the arm". Very accurate. Knows and understands the offense. Not as good a runner as the other two. AA stated that SR is the most accurate QB he has ever seen while throwing on run.

Sounds to me like we have three QB with different strengths, and different weakness. I suspect that which ever QB is able to improve "their weaknesses the most", will likely be the starting QB next Fall.

Last edited:

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
It's Barnetts to lose, but if it's an open competition Jantz will Steele the job back. He will have a better grasp on the offense and the game after a full year here.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Jantz should be done as the starter barring injury. It's not that he's not talented enough to start, its just that this team plays much better with the ball control offense that JB brings to the table. Jantz offers more reward but much more risk, if I were JB and didn't start I'd be gone.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
Jantz should be done as the starter barring injury. It's not that he's not talented enough to start, its just that this team plays much better with the ball control offense that JB brings to the table. Jantz offers more reward but much more risk, if I were JB and didn't start I'd be gone.

Play me, or I'm out of here ????

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron