Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
johnnyutah.jpg

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
Maybe there is something I do not see or understand but here are the facts for our 2 QB's over the last 2 seasons in the Big XII

Barnett 4-4
Jantz 1-7

I don't care how bad someone's throws look as long as they get the job done. In one of Barnett's losses he engineered 3 TD drives against the team that might end up winning the National Title. Something Geno Smith and Landry Jones could not accomplish. Jared got pulled in the fourth quarter of the Okie State game in which he struggled but still managed to put 2 scoring drives together. Jantz stunk it up against a bad Texas D and never was pulled even after the game was over early in the third quarter. Jantz's only win unless I am forgetting one was against one of the worst defenses(Baylor) that I have ever seen in Jack Trice stadium. That includes some of our own back during the Walden years.

Reactions: CyDude16

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm wondering if this is Rhoads way of trying to hit the reset button on QB for next season. Playing a Senior that hasn't improved in 2 seasons over a younger guy. The senior graduates, the younger guy picks up on the fact that he's getting the cold shoulder for a terrible senior and transfers or leaves. Rhoads has less controversy next year.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Maybe there is something I do not see or understand but here are the facts for our 2 QB's over the last 2 seasons in the Big XII

Barnett 4-4
Jantz 1-7

I don't care how bad someone's throws look as long as they get the job done. In one of Barnett's losses he engineered 3 TD drives against the team that might end up winning the National Title. Something Geno Smith and Landry Jones could not accomplish. Jared got pulled in the fourth quarter of the Okie State game in which he struggled but still managed to put 2 scoring drives together. Jantz stunk it up against a bad Texas D and never was pulled even after the game was over early in the third quarter. Jantz's only win unless I am forgetting one was against one of the worst defenses(Baylor) that I have ever seen in Jack Trice stadium. That includes some of our own back during the Walden years.

Agree Here. I want Barnett, or the guy behind him instead of Jantz. He beat lowly Baylor. Personally, I would feel better if he were to start against KU. He's not great, but I have always felt that he is better than Steele.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
I think it's pretty silly that we have a quarterback controversy 10 games in to a 12 game season. Here's an idea: have them alternate every other series.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm wondering if this is Rhoads way of trying to hit the reset button on QB for next season. Playing a Senior that hasn't improved in 2 seasons over a younger guy. The senior graduates, the younger guy picks up on the fact that he's getting the cold shoulder for a terrible senior and transfers or leaves. Rhoads has less controversy next year.

If you have an idea that Rhoads would do anything except try to win every single game you haven't been paying attention.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

This would suck. It's not good to have just two QBs. You are two plays away from ****ed.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk

Barnett 4-4
Jantz 1-7

Hmmmmm.... The last 3 weeks Jantz hasn't looked that terrible really. You add in the drops that should of been caught and he would probably be around 60% completion.

Last time we saw Barnett he was playing 500 against OSU. He should of had about 5 interceptions that game. Lucky for us he didn't. How many times did he throw the ball away accross the middle of the field?? He's completing under 50% of his throws easily. He doesn't give his recievers a chance even to catch the ball. Look at the end of the K-State game. He had two different series and didn't come close to hitting recievers that were wide open.

Barnett has no confidence....

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
I would be ok with alternating as long as Barnett starts. He has always been better with the first drive of scripted plays.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If you have an idea that Rhoads would do anything except try to win every single game you haven't been paying attention.

I don't know when both are terrible it doesn't seem so implausible.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Rohach and Richardson would be my guess

I don't know why people think Richardson is ahead of Barnett for next year, given their place on the depth chart this year and the fact that JB has played and beat 3 ranked teams?

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Just get the freaking win. It's KU... I don't care what kinda ball they have been playing the past couple of weeks. 1-9 is 1-9...THAT IS A HORRIBLE TEAM. We have lost TWO straight. (I understand it was OU and UT) - But, we are a good football team. Our guys need to play with passion again and just TAKE IT OUT on KU on Saturday. We need to stomp them and get on them early. I agree with the post above, a Barnett start might be called for. He has performed well on the opening (scripted) drive, and I really believe we need to get on this team and demoralize KU early. Kick 'em in the teeth early, and get the win.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Alternating quarterbacks is an absolutely idiotic idea. Put the guy on the field who gives you the best chance to win. If that's Bueker get his *** on the field. The coaches obviously think Jantz has been the better player in practice and in games or Barnett would be taking the snaps.

Either Barnett needs to improve a TON in the offseason or the underclassmen better be ready for some snaps because neither Barnett nor Jantz is a Big 12 quarterback. Jantz has the talent but isn't careful enough with the ball. Barnett lacks the talent at this point in time. Fortunately you can work on accuracy although I doubt someone's abilities to go from <50% as a passer and becoming respectable in a year.

In order for us to win, the defense has to show up and play well. That's been the one constant in games we've won with either quarterback: The defense played well or very well and the quarterbacks haven't screwed it up.

Last edited:

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Do people watch the games? Or just look at the box score? Jantz is leaps and bounds better than last year. The playcalling is pretty bad, our OC isn't getting our RB's and especially James White enough carries, and our WR's are dropping far more balls than Jantz is missing.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Alternating quarterbacks is an absolutely idiotic idea. Put the guy on the field who gives you the best chance to win. If that's Bueker get his *** on the field. The coaches obviously think Jantz has been the better player in practice and in games or Barnett would be taking the snaps.

Either Barnett needs to improve a TON in the offseason or the underclassmen better be ready for some snaps because neither Barnett nor Jantz is a Big 12 quarterback. Jantz has the talent but isn't careful enough with the ball. Barnett lacks the talent at this point in time. Fortunately you can work on accuracy although I doubt someone's abilities to go from <50% as a passer and becoming respectable in a year.

Dang it - I knew I forgot something...:pwink:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Or, you're over thinking this wayyyy too much. If Jantz hasn't improved, either has Barnett.