Speeding down Beach and Ash

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The bolded is sad, but my question would be why is the neighbors dog running around the neighborhood? As a dog owner it blows my mind when I see dogs running around freely in a neighborhood, do you not care about your dog enough to keep them leashed up or in a fenced in yard so they are safe.

One of my dogs gets out because she's an ass hole and digs under the fence.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Expected these responses. My wife witnessed a neighbor's dog getting hit last year. Your opinion would probably change if it was your dog or child who was involved.

I know the message won't be heard by most of the offenders since the vast majority are women and this board has primarily male users.

Was totally on board with your prose until this.

Both sexes are awful drivers. Vast majority just don't know it.

You don't have to be a physics genius but it's not hard to figure out that speeding doesn't save much time and it's generally pointless unless you like buying brakes and gas more often.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines

You don't have to be a physics genius but it's not hard to figure out that speeding doesn't save much time and it's generally pointless unless you like buying brakes and gas more often.

He's not saying women are bad drivers. He's saying the majority of people he has seen speed down these roads are women. There are a couple sororities on Ash and quite a few women live on Beach as well.

• Agree
Reactions: pdxclone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I enjoy driving fast around town myself, but I don't understand the people who do so on residential streets. Too many things that can jump out at you. Just not worth it.

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
He's not saying women are bad drivers. He's saying the majority of people he has seen speed down these roads are women. There are a couple sororities on Ash and quite a few women live on Beach as well.

lack of using your turn signals are the biggest pet peeve everywhere, and create dangerous situations.

Weave in and out of lanes on I-80 going 85 mph? yup
No turn signal at a 4-way intersection, then turn? yup
Like are we supposed to 'guess' where you're going?

The signal can be accessed on the f-king steering wheel. It's just rude, lazy azz drivers out there

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Expected these responses. My wife witnessed a neighbor's dog getting hit last year. Your opinion would probably change if it was your dog or child who was involved.

I know the message won't be heard by most of the offenders since the vast majority are women and this board has primarily male users.
I don't have a dog or a child. I also don't live in ames.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
lack of using your turn signals are the biggest pet peeve everywhere, and create dangerous situations.

Weave in and out of lanes on I-80 going 85 mph? yup
No turn signal at a 4-way intersection, then turn? yup
Like are we supposed to 'guess' where you're going?

The signal can be accessed on the f-king steering wheel. It's just rude, lazy azz drivers out there

How about staying in the left hand lane on the freeway? Almost going the speed limit and not moving over; holding up a bunch of cars for miles.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

My parents house is on Lynn Ave. One summer in the late 80s as kids, a frat student on his Ninja motorbike was flying down the street when he ran over a plastic ball that had rolled into the street. He lost control, rode the curb for about 40 yards and hit a telephone pole. He was estimated to be doing between 45 and 55 mph by the police. He pushed the pole by 2-3 inches.

Broken pelvis, broken leg, broken arm (which we could see sticking out), and a bunch of internal injuries. He survived, but I'm sure his recovery time was lengthy.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My parents house is on Lynn Ave. One summer in the late 80s as kids, a frat student on his Ninja donorcycle was flying down the street when he ran over a plastic ball that had rolled into the street. He lost control, rode the curb for about 40 yards and hit a telephone pole. He was estimated to be doing between 45 and 55 mph by the police. He pushed the pole by 2-3 inches.

Broken pelvis, broken leg, broken arm (which we could see sticking out), and a bunch of internal injuries. He survived, but I'm sure his recovery time was lengthy.
Fixed

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Isn't that the truth. People getting hurt on those things seemed like a weekly occurrence.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Isn't that the truth. People getting hurt on those things seemed like a weekly occurrence.
To be clear I wasn't referring to all cycles as donorcycles. Really it is generally crotch rockets and more how the particular bike is driven than what bike it is.

Last night I was on a freeway in pretty dense traffic and my son and I watch a guy on a pretty big bike swerve in and out of tight traffic trying to make up a couple of seconds in traffic that was only doing about 40. My son asked why the guy didn't have a helmet and I didn't have a good answer for him. The dude's bald head wouldn't fare terribly well when some other driver does something stupid that the cyclist couldn't control and he ends up face planting on the concrete.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I hear you. I live just outside the city limits on a paved county road with a nice S curve on it. The crotch rockets love to come screaming around it. Prior to us living here, people have died racing along this street and it's only a matter of time before it happens again.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Speeding is a big issue in Ames and has been for a long time. Doesn't mean that cannot change.
https://www.weareiowa.com/news/loca...eding-problems-in-ames-neighborhood/554132907

I spoke with the Police Chief and he is concerned about this as well since public safety a top concern. With RAGBRAI and other events at the stadium, he knows there will be a more foot and bike traffic in the area. He only has a limited staff so they are trying to focus on the area with the greatest concentration of people. He also mentioned that he may move the mobile speed signs to the area.

It is impossible to write down all offenders because they are going too fast, but the most recent repeat speeders are:
- 4Runner; white; ZRK ***
- Silver sedan; Texas plate KCP ***
- Mercedes Benz; bronze; EVJ ***
All female drivers! The 4Runner was going about 50 mph and couldn't stop at 4th street, so she just tapped the brakes and blew thru the intersection going north on Beach. It certainly surprised the car that was stopped at the intersection ready to cross Beach.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

Got the solution...
We need speed cameras in Ames like in DSM and CR.
Brakes are not an issue since we have so many auto parts stores.
upload_2018-6-29_10-54-51.png

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Got the solution...
We need speed cameras in Ames like in DSM and CR.
Brakes are not an issue since we have so many auto parts stores.
View attachment 56042

They did work to slow people down in CR. Whether that makes the highway any safer could be debated, but I don't think anyone could argue it had no affect on speed.

I would argue that they would have significantly more impact on residential streets.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Most of the repeat offenders, like the black Altima, IL lic. NZS ***, are female drivers. She was doing over 40 mph today.

The male driver in the black Mercedes, IA lic. ARK ***, is going northbound way over the speed limit. I think I recognize him from the Business College. Show some leadership and slow down.

Has anyone used DMVfiles.org? How accurate is it? Is access to the full DMV database?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron