Speeding down Beach and Ash

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
For those who use Beach and Ash, SLOW DOWN!! You almost hit pedestrians in consecutive days. The posted speed limit is 30 mph on Beach and 25 mph on Ash. Tailgating the vehicles going the speed limit is just as dangerous.

I don't understand why the volume of traffic has increased over the past month. And I'm not an old man yelling get off my lawn. If I was, I would be saying stay off your phone when driving.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
get-off-my-lawn-gif-3.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That's true. Plus, they're super quite.
Seriously, there are two factors that contribute to most of the crossing accidents (besides being an idiot).

First is the size and speed misconception. People tend to see a train and underestimate how fast it is moving because it is so darned big. Trains are much larger than cars and even dwarf semis. Larger things look like they are traveling slower so by the time you realize that train is really moving you are already dead.

Second is the double track/two train phenomenon where someone tries to get across the tracks quickly as soon as a train passes and doesn't wait for the lights to stop flashing. Sometimes those lights are flashing for the second train that is coming from the other way on the other track.

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Seriously, there are two factors that contribute to most of the crossing accidents (besides being an idiot).

First is the size and speed misconception. People tend to see a train and underestimate how fast it is moving because it is so darned big. Trains are much larger than cars and even dwarf semis. Larger things look like they are traveling slower so by the time you realize that train is really moving you are already dead.

Second is the double track/two train phenomenon where someone tries to get across the tracks quickly as soon as a train passes and doesn't wait for the lights to stop flashing. Sometimes those lights are flashing for the second train that is coming from the other way on the other track.

I also think there have been some extremely drunk pedestrians who have gotten themselves hit.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Expected these responses. My wife witnessed a neighbor's dog getting hit last year. Your opinion would probably change if it was your dog or child who was involved.

I know the message won't be heard by most of the offenders since the vast majority are women and this board has primarily male users.

The bolded is sad, but my question would be why is the neighbors dog running around the neighborhood? As a dog owner it blows my mind when I see dogs running around freely in a neighborhood, do you not care about your dog enough to keep them leashed up or in a fenced in yard so they are safe.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The bolded is sad, but my question would be why is the neighbors dog running around the neighborhood? As a dog owner it blows my mind when I see dogs running around freely in a neighborhood, do you not care about your dog enough to keep them leashed up or in a fenced in yard so they are safe.
My dog dug under the fence to escape when she got hit by a car one night. I'd guess if the dog is running free with nobody nearby they're not supposed to be and probably got out without the owner knowing or the owner is looking for them.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
My dog dug under the fence to escape when she got hit by a car one night. I'd guess if the dog is running free with nobody nearby they're not supposed to be and probably got out without the owner knowing or the owner is looking for them.

Yeah that's an accident though. We take our dogs for walks in town a lot and constantly see dogs unchained just out in a persons yard, then they run across the street to try to meet my dogs so I know they don't have an invisible fence.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Yeah that's an accident though. We take our dogs for walks in town a lot and constantly see dogs unchained just out in a persons yard, then they run across the street to try to meet my dogs so I know they don't have an invisible fence.
Yeah that's just silly if the dog obviously isn't well trained.