Seat Selection:

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
My seat selection time is 45 minutes from now and I'm really struggling with my decision. I've got good seats now (upper level, row 3 on the isle, around the 40 yard line), but they're on the east side and I'm getting tired of facing the sun. I could move to lower level on the west side (5th row from the top), so the sun and cold wind would be at my back, but it would be around the 25 yard line.

Any recommendations?

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
My seat selection time is 45 minutes from now and I'm really struggling with my decision. I've got good seats now (upper level, row 3 on the isle, around the 40 yard line), but they're on the east side and I'm getting tired of facing the sun. I could move to lower level on the west side (5th row from the top), so the sun and cold wind would be at my back, but it would be around the 25 yard line.

Any recommendations?
I moved to the West Side last year. Not having the stare into the sun was amazing, plus the added benefit of being shielded from the wind. I sit in the upper deck though so I can't give you an opinion on lower deck 25 yard line

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I moved to the West Side last year. Not having the stare into the sun was amazing, plus the added benefit of being shielded from the wind. I sit in the upper deck though so I can't give you an opinion on lower deck 25 yard line
Thanks for your feedback. You convinced me to join the westsiders!

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
My selection time is tomorrow.
I'm trying to get 4 seats together and so far that's looking difficult. Hopefully some things open up if people are moving around.

I get why they don't allow it, but it's annoying that you can't leave 1 seat open.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I'm trying to get 4 seats together and so far that's looking difficult. Hopefully some things open up if people are moving around.

I get why they don't allow it, but it's annoying that you can't leave 1 seat open.
No kidding. I had selected my new seats and was all set to go when I got the warning that I had to make a different selection because I had left 1 seat open. So I had to go with my second choice for seats.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
No kidding. I had selected my new seats and was all set to go when I got the warning that I had to make a different selection because I had left 1 seat open. So I had to go with my second choice for seats.
Had that once and I called and they let me get the seats I wanted

• Informative
Reactions: CascadeClone

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Had that once and I called and they let me get the seats I wanted
Tried that last year and they firmly refused. The only option they'd give me is to move to a different (worse) section.
I'll probably try again this year and maybe I'll get someone else who will let me do it.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Quick help: does the online tool let you break up ticket selections?

We have 6 in a line now, I'd like to change them to 3 & 3 seats in 2 consecutive rows. When I go to preview and look at available seats, if there are 6 or more in a row, it automatically selects all six and doesn't give an option to break them up there. Is that different when you can actually buy the seats versus when you're just previewing?

If not, maybe I'll have to skip the online tool altogether and just call the office.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

We have 6 in a line now, I'd like to change them to 3 & 3 seats in 2 consecutive rows. When I go to preview and look at available seats, if there are 6 or more in a row, it automatically selects all six and doesn't give an option to break them up there. Is that different when you can actually buy the seats versus when you're just previewing?

If not, maybe I'll have to skip the online tool altogether and just call the office.
We previously had 4 and 3 and when we were bumped by students we were able to get 4 and 3 again. I don't think he had to call the office.

It could have made a difference that ours weren't all in the same row before though.

Last edited:

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
We previously had 4 and 3 and when we were bumped by students we were able to get 4 and 3 again. I don't think he had to call the office.
Noted. It could be just a thing with the previewer, or I hope it is anyway. Already know what I want, just don't wanna have to burn time calling to get it, lol

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
Thanks for your feedback. You convinced me to join the westsiders!
I flipped sides for one of the games last year from W to E. There was a huge drop off in energy on the west side. Lots of sitting, barely any noise on 3rd downs. I felt out of place like I was being obnoxious, whereas in comparison to the people in W i fit right in. I’ll stick with the east side and deal with the sun. I can deal with that better than i can with a lame game experience.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

Update: yes you can split seats, by reducing the quantity you are selecting at once and then adding to cart (then going to add the rest to cart after). 3 & 3 acquired.

We decided to roll the dice and move to the vacated student section, into 40. Were previously in N.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I flipped sides for one of the games last year from W to E. There was a huge drop off in energy on the west side. Lots of sitting, barely any noise on 3rd downs. I felt out of place like I was being obnoxious, whereas in comparison to the people in W i fit right in. I’ll stick with the east side and deal with the sun. I can deal with that better than i can with a lame game experience.

I'm surprise we don't get kicked out of section 2 for all the bottles and cans we leave behind after the game. Where did you sit at? Obviously you didn't sit by us if you wanted to experience energy, drunkenness, stand all game, and yell on every play kind fans.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Meh I've sat on the west side for like 6 years now and I can't say the lower level doesn't stand and get rowdy.

Reactions: Didley

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

That happened to us the first time we selected seats (needed two but there were three), We called the ticket office and they did an override for us (and for others also, iirc). You could try that.