Royce White on ESPN today

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
In his Real Sports interview last night he said back in 2013 that he wanted the Rockets to have an independent mental health Dr to have final say on him if he was experiencing issues on whether he should play that particular day. Basically wanted accommodations for his mental health to be treated the same as orthopedic injuries and not be forced to play when he was experiencing issues just like someone with an ankle sprain wouldn’t be forced to play.
When you sprain your ankle, there is a reasonably certain timetable for your return to work. If RW is saying he may wake up some days and not be able to play with no clue as to the frequency or duration of the absence ... it's pretty easy to see why he's unemployable.

The fact that a mental health provider is or is not making the call wouldn't seem to be the issue from the team's perspective. It's the apparent unreliability.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I personally respect Royce more because he stood by his beliefs and left potentially millions of dollars on the table because of he felt what he believed was more important.

I have respect for Royce standing by his beliefs. I’ve lost a lot of respect for him for not paying child support to the 4 women of which he is a father of their children.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
For some reason some of these posters think Royce owes them something, it's like they are pissed that the NBA didn't work out and it's a reflection on their ISU fandom. They are the ones that need to get a grip, Royce gave us all that he needed to in his one year here. Everything that happened or didn't happen after he decided to enter the draft has no effect on any fans fandom and that is the reality of the situation.

I personally respect Royce more because he stood by his beliefs and left potentially millions of dollars on the table because of he felt what he believed was more important.
Minor correction. Royce was here for two years and during that first year he helped prepare the squad that was playing and built a camaraderie with the rest of the sit out transfers even though he couldn't contribute directly on the court.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
When you sprain your ankle, there is a reasonably certain timetable for your return to work. If RW is saying he may wake up some days and not be able to play with no clue as to the frequency or duration of the absence ... it's pretty easy to see why he's unemployable.

The fact that a mental health provider is or is not making the call wouldn't seem to be the issue from the team's perspective. It's the apparent unreliability.

But yet people wake up everyday and stay home from work from an anxiety issue but yet they are still employable.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Maybe that is just the way he talks. But I do think sometimes the message does get lost. I think he has the right intent but i don't know how effective he can be without better messaging or better tactics. For instance, what is more effective; trying to change the NBA's stance on mental health from the outside? Or from the inside? My guess is from the inside is more effective. Get involved in the players union and advocate for changes in policy. They aren't going to change from someone on the outside.

I watched the E60 segment on him and listened to the podcast with Chris Williams. I didn't understand what he changes he wanted until he posted on the forum after some posters asked for clarification. To me, his message isn't always clear which makes it less effective. If he is going to advocate that the NBA implement a mental health policy, he needs to make it clear.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
My personal motto is basically "Don't be an ass
I feel bad for you that you think you have a point here. Of course people miss work from time to time but there are boundaries.

Would those boundaries be defined by that employers Mental Health Policy?

Maybe what Royce wanted specifically just wouldn't ever work with the NBA. That's actually pretty likely. But it's also possible that part of the problem was that the NBA doesn't have a Mental Health Policy in effect.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: ATCy and isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I feel bad for you that you think you have a point here. Of course people miss work from time to time but there are boundaries.

My point is why would he be unemployable for missing some work do to mental health reasons when non-Royce White people miss work for mental health reasons.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
But yet people wake up everyday and stay home from work from an anxiety issue but yet they are still employable.

You think that applies to every job? The amount an employee can miss work depends greatly on the requirements of the job. I don't think it's a bad idea for a team to have a mental health professional. In fact I would think it would be beneficial for the team to have their players at their peak mentally and physically. However, if someone is missing too many games due to mental health issues they are going to be seen as unemployable just like an injury prone athlete.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
You think that applies to every job? The amount an employee can miss work depends greatly on the requirements of the job. I don't think it's a bad idea for a team to have a mental health professional. In fact I would think it would be beneficial for the team to have their players at their peak mentally and physically. However, if someone is missing too many games due to mental health issues they are going to be seen as unemployable just like an injury prone athlete.

Right? Might as well not even try to help people with mental health issues.

First, it was that he didn't have a plan. Now, his plan is an inconvenience to NBA teams, so let's just not even try.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

And that's perfectly fine. If Royce's issues extended far enough that they couldn't make it work, then that's how it has to be. But it also should be defined by a specific Mental Health policy and not just up to the GM to decide if they want to work with someone.

I don't think Royce handled it the best way possible and that's unfortunate, because he has a point.

I also don't think people need to be ass holes to him because he didn't do things the way they wanted him to.

• Agree
Reactions: CY88CE11

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee

Maybe that's because they actually do some work and provide value to their employer. Pretty sure if you take a job anywhere and decide not to show up until they change their policy for you all the while getting paid to not do a job, that said employer will dump your ass instead of catering to you. In the end the employer doesn't give two craps about you unless you are providing benefit to them. I have a daughter that deals with terrible anxiety issues pretty regular, so I agree with some of his intentions, but the way he's handling it is wrong. Let's get paid to not do my job while telling them what they are going to do for me while I continue to not do my job waiting for them to change while paying me will not work......nor should it. Big vocabulary or not.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
My personal motto is basically "Don't be an ass

Would those boundaries be defined by that employers Mental Health Policy?

Maybe what Royce wanted specifically just wouldn't ever work with the NBA. That's actually pretty likely. But it's also possible that part of the problem was that the NBA doesn't have a Mental Health Policy in effect.

It’s almost like I asked nearly the exact question. It’s exactly what I wanted to know. Were there days he couldn’t play? How many? I’m interested in that.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
My point is why would he be unemployable for missing some work do to mental health reasons when non-Royce White people miss work for mental health reasons.
He's unemployable if he misses too much work and he appears to be saying that he has no way to predict his availability. People get legally fired all the time for missing too much work, even though their attendance problems are health-related.

At some point and depending on the circumstances of the job, if you miss too much work, you are no longer qualified for the job. If you qualify for FMLA, you get 12 weeks/year and beyond that the ADA says that the employer only has to provide reasonable (which is contextual) attendance-related accommodations. That does not mean unlimited absence.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
He's unemployable if he misses too much work and he appears to be saying that he has no way to predict his availability. People get legally fired all the time for missing too much work, even though their attendance problems are health-related.

At some point and depending on the circumstances of the job, if you miss too much work, you are no longer qualified for the job. If you qualify for FMLA, you get 12 weeks/year and beyond that the ADA says that the employer only has to provide reasonable (which is contextual) attendance-related accommodations. That does not mean unlimited absence.

Did anyone say that he should get unlimited absence? Should that reasonable accommodation be defined by a set policy?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It’s almost like I asked nearly the exact question. It’s exactly what I wanted to know. Were there days he couldn’t play? How many? I’m interested in that.

Maybe Royce didn't want to have a heart to heart with you. He was not required to answer anyone's questions. You seem like you feel you are entitled to answers from him and you are not.

He was most likely already ticked off because there were already people bashing him before he made his presence known.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
That’s why he wants it as league policy.

Which would still be difficult. Royce said himself that it would be a 10k word document.

Easy part would be to hire a mental health professional for every team and having them along.

The hard part would be the diagnosis and treatment of those players. How many games are they allowed to sit? What happens after they reach the allotted amount? The nba is ok paying its players, but they pay them to play. Sitting 10% of the games would cause some issues.

I wonder what changes in schedule they could do to help - but with that many teams spread throughout the country I’m sure it’s not easy.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron