Road bike suggestions?

colbycheese

Jun 11, 2010
Kansas
twitter.com
I bought a Trek 1500 (now that model is called a 1.5 I think) in 2007 that was in this price range. It has Shimano 105 components. I've been very happy with it.

I have a couple of recommendations:

1) Unless you live in a REALLY hilly area, go with the compact gearing option, not the triple. Derailleur adjustments are a 1000 times easier on a compact than a triple.

2) Spend the extra money and get pedals that you can clip into, and the shoes to go with it. You'll thank me later.

3) If you get the clip-in pedals and shoes, get SPD pedals/shoes. These are "mountain bike" pedals, but if you wear mountain bike shoes you can walk around on them like normal without having to wear the ridiculous shoe protectors like you do with road bike pedals/shoes - a must if you ever do RAGBRAI.

4) Just about all brands are equal in your price range. Focus more on the fit than the brand. Also, get a color that makes you look fast.

5) If you are an REI member, their store brand, "Novara" is made in the same factories as Giant, and the bikes give you a lot more bang for your buck. You might be able to "buy up" a level of components (like getting Ultegra instead of 105s). Don't underestimate Novara bikes just because it's a "store brand". Plus, if you're a member the dividend you get from your bike will more than pay for shoes and pedals for the bike.

Lastly, I think Trek usually does some sort of sale in January-March on all of the incoming bikes. Check with a local dealer and see if Trek still does that sale. My bike was originally $1200. I bought it on this sale for $900 and used the savings to buy pedals, shoes, a floor pump, and some other accessories.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
High Trestle trail north of Ankeny still has snow covered sections. Other than that, it was a great day for a ride.

I want to take a weekend and do some riding in DM. I was planning a trip there last fall, but we went to Kansas City to watch a nephews football game, that ended up getting rained out. Still did some riding on some fun trails in Overland Park!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
2) Spend the extra money and get pedals that you can clip into, and the shoes to go with it. You'll thank me later.

3) If you get the clip-in pedals and shoes, get SPD pedals/shoes. These are "mountain bike" pedals, but if you wear mountain bike shoes you can walk around on them like normal without having to wear the ridiculous shoe protectors like you do with road bike pedals/shoes - a must if you ever do RAGBRAI.

I'd go one step further and if you do RAGBRAI get cycling sandals with SPD clips. Alas, the best sandal (original Shimano) is no longer available but there are still some pretty good ones out there. The sandal option is great in a hot Iowa summer for both on and off the bike.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I am not sharing the SPD love. Get road pedals IMO. They cover a larger area of the shoe distributing the pressure from each pedal stroke. Shimano makes good road pedals I would opt for one of them. You'll doubtless be riding more than walking. I have Time iClic Racers and they are OK, only complaint is they do not float horizontally. Keo, look and speedplay are all good brands for road pedals.

Go with 25mm tires as well. More comfortable.

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
Not sure if it was mentioned or not because I didn't read the whole thread, but I rode a Specialized all my life and have loved every minute of it. Treks are also good bikes, but I would still give the nod to Specialized. Also make sure you get riding shorts and a jersey. The padding is nice for the long rides plus the pockets come in very handy to carry ipod phone debit cards etc. Also gloves are a must. The first long distance ride I did I didn't wear any gloves and I paid for it dearly.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
The hands and wrist can really hurt. Make sure the handlebars are wide enough. Mine were just 2cm too thin and I ended up with a lot of elbow pain.

Use good cork/artificial cork handlebar tape. My hands were getting very numb and it was maddening and probably dangerous. So out of desperation I wracked my brain over the best padding. I wound up buying a set of gel shoe inserts and cut them to fit just under my brake hoods and where my hand rests on the handlebars. I just tape them on and put the handlebar tape over them. One of the better ideas I ever had, and like Firefighter said get good gloves. I have Gore and really like them. Bikes, Cycling Clothing, Bike Parts & Cycling Gear: Bike Discounts & Deals from Nashbar

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Here's my advice:

1) Go to a shop and get fitted. You're going to want to buy used to get a decent bike in your price range and so it's imperative that, if buying from CL or eBay, you know exactly what size you need

2) Ask about last year's models. It may be that the shop has some left over and will give a discount that's enough to make it worth the extra $$.

3) If you do decide to buy elsewhere, support the shop by buying your gear there. Shorts/Helmet/Gloves/etc.

4) Don't get anything "less" than Shimano 105 or SRAM Apex components.

5) Have fun! My first road bike was a used Trek 2.1 from eBay. It had a few hundred miles on it but looked brand new. 105 components and paid just under $1000.

I will agree with this post completely. I knew my size from a previous bike. Went to Ebay. Got a Trek 2.3, that was 1 year old for $900. The year before that bike sold for $1750 with the compact 105 crank.

Know your size and then scour CL and Ebay. Too many people buy a bike without getting fit correctly or lose interest after 1 year riding, that you can find great deals online. You really can't go wrong with any bigger name. Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Specialized, Jamis. Even some smaller brands. I would however test ride maybe a few different bikes you are interested just so you know the feel of them.

Good luck...

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
I also have Vent-X gloves that do the job, but Gore is a great product as well. And ThatlldoCy I never thought about the gel inserts on my bars. May have to give that a shot.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I want to take a weekend and do some riding in DM. I was planning a trip there last fall, but we went to Kansas City to watch a nephews football game, that ended up getting rained out. Still did some riding on some fun trails in Overland Park!

I would check out bikeiowa. They are doing Sunday Funday rides on the High Trestle. They will have bands at different bars and drink specials. Think these are going to be held once a month, but they should be a great time, just like any ride on the High Trestle.

Reactions: cyhawkdmb

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I also have Vent-X gloves that do the job, but Gore is a great product as well. And ThatlldoCy I never thought about the gel inserts on my bars. May have to give that a shot.

It's sublime. I looked all over my house and considered about every type of padding I could think of. Then it occurred to me that I use gel inserts in my shoes that do not seem to wear out, smell maybe, but never lose there elasticity. They take out a ton of vibration and riding around Chicago that is a big consideration as our roads are horrific.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
IF you haven't ridden the High Trestle trail at night, you HAVE to do it. We have full moon rides the Saturday closest to the full moon. I think we are doing the first one on April 12.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
IF you haven't ridden the High Trestle trail at night, you HAVE to do it. We have full moon rides the Saturday closest to the full moon. I think we are doing the first one on April 12.
I agree, but going out to the bridge at night can be dangerous. Too many people going to bridge with no lights or reflectors.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
feel free to PM me if interested in doing a Thursday Wabash Taco Ride. It really is a great time! pretty laid back. I dont stay real late though. usually try to head back by 9pm or so.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I agree, but going out to the bridge at night can be dangerous. Too many people going to bridge with no lights or reflectors.

I haven't noticed any real safety issues except walkers (not the zombie kind) and we are always pretty careful on the stretch approaching the bridge at both sides. I DO wish walkers would wear some sort of reflective gear when they are out there at night

timhisu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2010
Everything said here. But I would definitely lean towards buying it at the shop. I got my Specialized at Rassy's and at the end of the day, they gave me shoes half off, free pedals, free helmet and first tune up. You won't get that online.

I agree. I bought my second bike from Rasmussen and those guys have been amazing. But, for a start, it may be worth the savings to buy used.

Also, good shout on the DM Bicycle Collective. I'd definitely check there before eBay.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
I love my Cannondale Quick 5. Upgraded from a Trek 1700. Easy to ride, light weight, great roll on the road.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron