Road bike suggestions?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I started off with a Hybrid bike for the last 4 years. It was nice. Could be ridden on any surface. But when road riding I was tired of being left in the dust by other riders with road bikes. After talking with a couple LBS (local bike shops) I decided to go with a touring bike. It is a Jamis Bosanova. 2012 model with all the new warrenties. I ordered it a month ago and am picking it up today! I am excited and got it for $990 plus tax.

It has several upgrades on it from the factory. Jamis is know for giving you a little more for your money.

We should get some CFers together and do the Taco Ride sometime.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Here's my advice:

1) Go to a shop and get fitted. You're going to want to buy used to get a decent bike in your price range and so it's imperative that, if buying from CL or eBay, you know exactly what size you need

2) Ask about last year's models. It may be that the shop has some left over and will give a discount that's enough to make it worth the extra $$.

3) If you do decide to buy elsewhere, support the shop by buying your gear there. Shorts/Helmet/Gloves/etc.

4) Don't get anything "less" than Shimano 105 or SRAM Apex components.

5) Have fun! My first road bike was a used Trek 2.1 from eBay. It had a few hundred miles on it but looked brand new. 105 components and paid just under $1000.

Everything said here. But I would definitely lean towards buying it at the shop. I got my Specialized at Rassy's and at the end of the day, they gave me shoes half off, free pedals, free helmet and first tune up. You won't get that online.

I would also suggest getting a cross bike with an extra set of tires. It will open you up to gravel and off road rides because if you catch the bug, which is hard not to do, you will want to ride anywhere and anything.

I would also suggest AGAINST a hybrid. Almost everyone I know that's gotten one has regretted it quickly and traded theirs in.

Another place to check is the Des Moines Bicycle Collective. They have some really good used bikes sometime at really good prices... plus it's a great organization.

Also, don't be intimmidated by clip in pedals and shoes. It's a lot easier than it looks and makes the ride much more enjoyable.

And a Taco/Steak/Beer ride NEEDS to happen

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Everything he just said.

You don't need 105's or higher. I don't have them on my LHT, and it is a great piece of equipment. 105's are expensive also, you are looking at $600 just for the components. I would not expect 105's on a bike less than $1100.
Steel = slow and comfy.
Aluminum + fiber = stiff and fast.

I have a road in each class, I would much rather ride the steel. Unless I am going with a bunch of roady racer Aholes. Of course if you have the coolers installed on your bike, they will all slow down for you.

Honestly, the single most important thing I can tell you if you want to enjoy biking is: Find a good honest local dealer.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Some have mentioned getting last year's model and I concur. Mrs. Velo and I got a matched pair of Trek carbon bikes about 12 years ago at Bike World's big warehouse clearance event whatever that thing is/was called. We essentially got two top of the line carbon road bikes for the price of one. They have served us very well every since for tens of thousands of miles. And don't listen to people who say that you are too heavy for a carbon frame (I have no idea how big you are). I have several Clydesdale buddies who ride carbon bikes hard and they have never had a frame failure.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Bikes, tacos, and beer? Yes, please. Are they going to do it on Tuesday again this year?

kickout

Aug 30, 2013
Always been intrigued by the taco ride (i'm in Lincoln). I'm enjoy cycling. Omaha has okay trails (papio namely). Lincoln, not so much.

Anyway. I love my 2003 Trek 5000 series (full carbon, ultegra components, I think its a 59?...little small for me). But I love it. It's fast and reliable

Bought this bike because it was right before Trek started producing their carbon frames in china instead of waterloo, wi. That was important to me.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Always been intrigued by the taco ride (i'm in Lincoln). I'm enjoy cycling. Omaha has okay trails (papio namely). Lincoln, not so much.

Anyway. I love my 2003 Trek 5000 series (full carbon, ultegra components, I think its a 59?...little small for me). But I love it. It's fast and reliable

Bought this bike because it was right before Trek started producing their carbon frames in china instead of waterloo, wi. That was important to me.

I am in the exact same boat, I have a 5200 Wisconsin carbon.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Nothing beats the Wabash Thursday night Taco Ride! I did about 20 of them over the last couple years. I would be all for doing one in April May. When the weather gets good the trail gets full. Easily 800-1000. But I am all for a CF Taco Ride!

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Any idea when the taco tueday rides to cumming start this year? April?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Ok, now you all made me want to ride. Time to head home and hit the road.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron