Road bike suggestions?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I'm looking at getting a road bike here soon. I've owned a mountain bike all my life, and while those trails are fun, I'd like to start going for some distance.

What are some good road bike suggestions? I'm hoping for something in the $800-$1200 range. I know you can spend an arm and a leg on these things, so I'm hoping for some suggestions on things to look for and features that aren't necessary.

bkassel

Oct 10, 2011
columbia, mo
www.youtube.com
Surly Cross-Check is a great bike. May be pricey for a starter bike but that frame will last until the apocalypse. Trek makes decent bikes and good components. Marin and Cannondale also good stuff. if you're in ames, I love skunk river cycles. Talk to them, let them know your price range, what you want out of a bike and they should set you up right.

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
Giant Defy 1---you get a lot of bang for the money at this price range. You need to test ride several for the best fit.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
For that range a trek 2300 would be a good bike.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Either buy last year's models, or visit Craig's List. Riding style matters. Aluminum and Carbon will give a stiff ride, so more efficient push, but Alum. doesn't absorb bumps. Steel frames are solid and comfy, but heavier. You want at least 105 if going Shimano components. Ultegra is a little better, and Dura-Ace is their best. SRAM makes great stuff too.

You also need to think, are you going to cruise road miles, or go for speed? Difference is between a road bike or a time trial bike. The second are the ones you ride hunched forward. It is dorky, but the riding shorts work, and the jerseys are quite helpful with the pockets. And gloves! Don't forget good gloves with proper padding.

You can use MTB shoes with road. I have CrankBro candy pedals on my road bikes and use a MTB shoe so I can walk around on rides and Ragbrai.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Surly Cross-Check is a great bike. May be pricey for a starter bike but that frame will last until the apocalypse. Trek makes decent bikes and good components. Marin and Cannondale also good stuff. if you're in ames, I love skunk river cycles. Talk to them, let them know your price range, what you want out of a bike and they should set you up right.

That is a great bike, I just got a Disc Trucker which is almost the same bike. Very happy so far.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Just read a review in Road Bike Action comparing the Trek Domane 2.3 and Cannondale Synapse. The Trek at $1919, and the Synapse at $1570. Both are designed to be comfortable over long distances so each would be a good choice. The synapse had disc brakes which would be really nice in rain. Who knows, maybe you can get either on sale. The Specialized Allez and the Cannondale Caad10 would be worth a test ride too.

Helmet, Seat, Shoes and pedals are going to be important. Check out Bike Nashbar for those as they have awesome sales, and clearance. I like Continental Gatorskin tires too.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Either buy last year's models, or visit Craig's List. Riding style matters. Aluminum and Carbon will give a stiff ride, so more efficient push, but Alum. doesn't absorb bumps. Steel frames are solid and comfy, but heavier. You want at least 105 if going Shimano components. Ultegra is a little better, and Dura-Ace is their best. SRAM makes great stuff too.

You also need to think, are you going to cruise road miles, or go for speed? Difference is between a road bike or a time trial bike. The second are the ones you ride hunched forward. It is dorky, but the riding shorts work, and the jerseys are quite helpful with the pockets. And gloves! Don't forget good gloves with proper padding.

You can use MTB shoes with road. I have CrankBro candy pedals on my road bikes and use a MTB shoe so I can walk around on rides and Ragbrai.
If he is in the 800-1200 price range, forget about Ultegra or DA groups and forget about a TT bike.

I bought this bike last year for cruising around, ragbrai, etc. It would be a good gravel bike too if the OP decides to get into that someday.

Specialized Bicycle Components

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Giant Defy 1---you get a lot of bang for the money at this price range. You need to test ride several for the best fit.
I have a Defy with thousands of miles on it and almost entirely stock. It's a good bike in that price range.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I got a felt z85 a few years ago for $699. This is a good time to buy in case they have any of last years models in stock.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
First thing I would do is find a couple of bike shops and go in and ask. Tell them that you are new, give them your price range, and ask them to help you find the right bike. A good shop will let you try them out.

Once you know a company and model then you can start shopping around for price.

Personally, I have always had good luck with Marin bikes.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Awesome suggestions and info. Reason my price range is so low is because we have quite a few expenses coming up and can't justify much more. But I'm tired of running outside or on the treadmill, and I've always liked biking. Just still a total noob who doesn't know much about it yet.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

When Cross season is over I slap on the road wheels/tires on the Cross check and it becomes a train of a road bike. Once the steel gets moving it's a fast machine.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Buy used. As you learn your likes and needs you can install upgrades accordingly. Research the best frame for you. A good frame will last indefinitely and you can upgrade components any time. I've had good luck with Giant and Specialized, but their are many good used buys around if you are patient.

timhisu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2010
Here's my advice:

1) Go to a shop and get fitted. You're going to want to buy used to get a decent bike in your price range and so it's imperative that, if buying from CL or eBay, you know exactly what size you need

2) Ask about last year's models. It may be that the shop has some left over and will give a discount that's enough to make it worth the extra $$.

3) If you do decide to buy elsewhere, support the shop by buying your gear there. Shorts/Helmet/Gloves/etc.

4) Don't get anything "less" than Shimano 105 or SRAM Apex components.

5) Have fun! My first road bike was a used Trek 2.1 from eBay. It had a few hundred miles on it but looked brand new. 105 components and paid just under $1000.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I started off with a Hybrid bike for the last 4 years. It was nice. Could be ridden on any surface. But when road riding I was tired of being left in the dust by other riders with road bikes. After talking with a couple LBS (local bike shops) I decided to go with a touring bike. It is a Jamis Bosanova. 2012 model with all the new warrenties. I ordered it a month ago and am picking it up today! I am excited and got it for $990 plus tax.

It has several upgrades on it from the factory. Jamis is know for giving you a little more for your money.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Awesome suggestions and info. Reason my price range is so low is because we have quite a few expenses coming up and can't justify much more. But I'm tired of running outside or on the treadmill, and I've always liked biking. Just still a total noob who doesn't know much about it yet.
Don't worry, you can get a really good bike for the range you are in. Also, make sure you ride it before you buy it and try to ride as many different bikes as you can. You will know which one feels the best.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
I ride a giant ocr3. I think it was the previous years model. Been a great bike for me. Great entry level bike. Think I spent less than 800 on it. But that was back around 07' 08'.

ISUTKD

Nov 9, 2009
Portland
Here's my advice:

1) Go to a shop and get fitted. You're going to want to buy used to get a decent bike in your price range and so it's imperative that, if buying from CL or eBay, you know exactly what size you need

2) Ask about last year's models. It may be that the shop has some left over and will give a discount that's enough to make it worth the extra $$.

3) If you do decide to buy elsewhere, support the shop by buying your gear there. Shorts/Helmet/Gloves/etc.

4) Don't get anything "less" than Shimano 105 or SRAM Apex components.

5) Have fun! My first road bike was a used Trek 2.1 from eBay. It had a few hundred miles on it but looked brand new. 105 components and paid just under $1000.

Everything he just said.