Replacing the turf at Trice

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I want to resod my back yard with one of the end zones. Think Jamie will be selling the rolls of old sod cheaper than Home Depot?
Last time I was buying sod I got to my nursery too late in the day and they were sold out. So I went to Home Depot. Let's just say I went home empty handed since the sod looked like it was two weeks old and had been sitting out in the sun. I went back to my nursery and pre ordered part of their next shipment.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I am not starting a thread about replacing the grass with field turf, but replacing it with new grass. I only caught a bit of it, but Jamie mentioned something on the coaches call in show Monday that our grass turf was needing replaced due to its age. Did anyone catch if that is planned for the start of next year? I know our field is good, but wondering if it will be better after some of the rough times (Drake game, rainy seasons, cold weather). Is there anything we should look at doing besides just new grass (like heating the field for colder weather)?
Do whatever the Packers do. Which I believe is a grass-turf hybrid

I think. Maybe that's Denver
The original plan was for it to be replaced after the 2020 season. It got pushed back a year (along with other projects), so they'll do it between the end of the 2021 season and spring 2022.

This is season 14 on it, so they've stretched it further than normal.

The practice field west of JTS will also be redone at the same time.
Put in an underground geothermal heating system and grow lights to extend the growing season. We need to be ready to host all those mid December home games tied to the first round of the expanded playoffs.
I think since it's past the 14 year due date, geothermal heating, grow lights, new sod.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I am not starting a thread about replacing the grass with field turf, but replacing it with new grass. I only caught a bit of it, but Jamie mentioned something on the coaches call in show Monday that our grass turf was needing replaced due to its age. Did anyone catch if that is planned for the start of next year? I know our field is good, but wondering if it will be better after some of the rough times (Drake game, rainy seasons, cold weather). Is there anything we should look at doing besides just new grass (like heating the field for colder weather)?

Pretty sure there was some video by ISU turf, showing where they are growing it already to get put in next spring/summer something like that.

Apr 19, 2006
I'm not a Packers fan but I have actually had a chance to be down by the field at Lambeau. Nobody is allowed on the field but I was close enough I could touch it. It is natural grass but it has what I would describe as a plastic mesh or netting sown into it so it doesn't tear up. At least that is what it was when I was there about 10 years ago.
I was on the field when they had the quilt machine running, pretty cool and a unique process. Actually got to paint the hash marks on the field one night and picked up Donovan McNabb when he got knocked out of bounds on Monday night football. I know cool story bro!

Mar 21, 2021
There was a time when Iowa, ISU and UNI all had artifical turf to keep the cheerleaders from grazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: clone2003

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I wish they would throw a little fertilizer down tent row. Crappy dead grass and once it rains, it’s a mud pit the rest of the year.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I saw Bret Meyer say when he was talking to I believe Chris Williams that unless you can have a Bermuda Grass Field (which obviously we can't) then he thinks we should go with turf. He liked the Bermuda field because how short and fast it plays.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
When JTS was built Earle Bruce insisted on Artificial Turf for Recruiting Reasons...I like the Grass Field better than the Fake Turf myself......To Each His Own as they say

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
So it's pretty obvious we're much better on artificial turf no? Of course this was a bounce back gimme game against a lesser opponent but there is no denying we looked much more explosive offensively yesterday.
I love that our turf grass program is as good as it is but come on...

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
So it's pretty obvious we're much better on artificial turf no? Of course this was a bounce back gimme game against a lesser opponent but there is no denying we looked much more explosive offensively yesterday.
I love that our turf grass program is as good as it is but come on...

More often than not we look good on fast tracks.