Replacing the turf at Trice

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I am not starting a thread about replacing the grass with field turf, but replacing it with new grass. I only caught a bit of it, but Jamie mentioned something on the coaches call in show Monday that our grass turf was needing replaced due to its age. Did anyone catch if that is planned for the start of next year? I know our field is good, but wondering if it will be better after some of the rough times (Drake game, rainy seasons, cold weather). Is there anything we should look at doing besides just new grass (like heating the field for colder weather)?

Reactions: agentbear

CaptivaCyGuy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 20, 2017
What is the longevity of sod for a football field? Also wondering if powers that be will be going with a different variety that increases durability (if that is even a thing). I know nothing of this area just wondering and hoping those with more knowledge in the field can share some of the nuances. Thanks

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I am not starting a thread about replacing the grass with field turf, but replacing it with new grass. I only caught a bit of it, but Jamie mentioned something on the coaches call in show Monday that our grass turf was needing replaced due to its age. Did anyone catch if that is planned for the start of next year?

The original plan was for it to be replaced after the 2020 season. It got pushed back a year (along with other projects), so they'll do it between the end of the 2021 season and spring 2022.

This is season 14 on it, so they've stretched it further than normal.

The practice field west of JTS will also be redone at the same time.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
What is the longevity of sod for a football field? Also wondering if powers that be will be going with a different variety that increases durability (if that is even a thing). I know nothing of this area just wondering and hoping those with more knowledge in the field can share some of the nuances. Thanks
I believe Jamie mentioned that the life span of a grass field is about 10 years and we are a ways past that this year. I wonder if this is affecting footing at all by the field being old.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010

Here is a story I saw: https://www.extension.iastate.edu/news/turfgrass-field-and-demonstration-day-sept-8

Excerpt: Unique this year is the sod project for Jack Trice Stadium. “We sand-capped a cornfield and are growing six acres of Kentucky bluegrass to be used as the next playing surface for the stadium,” said Thoms. “This will be the first look at this project for the public since we started it in April."

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Im more curious about how they are going to redo Jonny Majors. He said they were going to run 2 fields East and West instead of North and south. I really want to see some plans for that.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I believe Jamie mentioned that the life span of a grass field is about 10 years and we are a ways past that this year. I wonder if this is affecting footing at all by the field being old.
That surprises me. I would have guessed annual overseeding would be enough

• Agree
Reactions: Candide

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Do whatever the Packers do. Which I believe is a grass-turf hybrid

I think. Maybe that's Denver
I'm not a Packers fan but I have actually had a chance to be down by the field at Lambeau. Nobody is allowed on the field but I was close enough I could touch it. It is natural grass but it has what I would describe as a plastic mesh or netting sown into it so it doesn't tear up. At least that is what it was when I was there about 10 years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Talked to a couple people at UNI the week after the game and they said it was in the worst shape they could remember it. Bare spots and some sand filler. It's time.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Put in an underground geothermal heating system and grow lights to extend the growing season. We need to be ready to host all those mid December home games tied to the first round of the expanded playoffs.