RECRUITING: Elijah Brown visit info

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Sounds like he is going to make the following visits, in this order: Oregon, Northwestern, Iowa State, Gonzaga.

Hearing Daniyal Robinson paid him __ an in-home visit last night.

insert another word "in" somewhere in this sentence and we might start to get to UK or UNLV level of recruiting.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's probably going to get ugly a la Richard amardi. That's the landscape though. I feel like since Edwards didn't commit on the spot that he's getting a vibe about our preferred directio.

From everything I'm reading, I think we'd happily take the commitment of any of the major guys (Juiston, Brown, Edwards, Shayok) we're talking to. If it gets down to one open spot and one of those guys still isn't on board, we'd probably check with them before pulling the trigger on someone else.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Why do people think Edwards is a better "fit?" We need to replace nearly 90% of our scoring and Brown averaged 20 ppg. That's pretty D good fit.

I hate that I'm typing this, but just trying to illustrate a point.

Brown is a scoring PG/volume shooter. Edwards is a shooter (high percentage) who doesn't demand the ball (maybe "demand" isn't the right word; I mean he will get his shots based on someone facilitating...drive and kick outs).

Wigginton will play immediately. He is that good. He and Brown are similar type players. Jackson could be a spot up shooter, a la Edwards, but he also demands the ball like Wigginton will (and Brown would).

Edwards is a "fit" simply because he's a better shooter, and we already have slashers.

Maybe that doesn't help, but that's my line of thinking anyway.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Yes, I never said you claimed they were tiny. You're the one that jumped into the discussion about whether it was a tiny lineup. It's not, and given it would be as big of a frontline as we've had, it's not a smaller one.

Wrong;)

Last edited:

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

Brown is a scoring PG/volume shooter. Edwards is a shooter (high percentage) who doesn't demand the ball (maybe "demand" isn't the right word; I mean he will get his shots based on someone facilitating...drive and kick outs).

Wigginton will play immediately. He is that good. He and Brown are similar type players. Jackson could be a spot up shooter, a la Edwards, but he also demands the ball like Wigginton will (and Brown would).

Edwards is a "fit" simply because he's a better shooter, and we already have slashers.

Agree with you on all you said. As fun of a player as Brown is and how much fun he would be to watch, I've really started leaning towards Edwards the past few days because of his ability to be a spot up shooter and we have very few of those.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

I hear what you're saying. I just typically judge a player based off the teams that are after him. Oregon and Gonzaga just got done playing in the final four and both teams return much of their backcourt. They are still after Brown for good reason. I'm not saying Edwards cant/won't be a heckuva player but Brown has already proven it.

People need to pump the brakes on Wigginton just a bit also. He's a stud be he will be a freshman. He isn't going to step on campus and average 16-17 ppg.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have visions of KJ Bluford with Edwards. I'll take the proven D1 commodity over the JUCO shooter every day and then alter the gameplan to make it work. I've always said that I think we're going to look more like Texas A&M or FL than a Hoiball team going forward. Get slashers, get length and power inside. Run it, rebound it, block shots/bother moreso than run it, space it, and defend every possession for 25 seconds.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I hear what you're saying. I just typically judge a player based off the teams that are after him. Oregon and Gonzaga just got done playing in the final four and both teams return much of their backcourt. They are still after Brown for good reason. I'm not saying Edwards cant/won't be a heckuva player but Brown has already proven it.

People need to pump the brakes on Wigginton just a bit also. He's a stud be he will be a freshman. He isn't going to step on campus and average 16-17 ppg.

He could though. I think it depends on how we run point. Is it going to be a duo or will one of Jackson or Wigg stick at the PG spot?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I have visions of KJ Bluford with Edwards. I'll take the proven D1 commodity over the JUCO shooter every day and then alter the gameplan to make it work. I've always said that I think we're going to look more like Texas A&M or FL than a Hoiball team going forward. Get slashers, get length and power inside. Run it, rebound it, block shots/bother moreso than run it, space it, and defend every possession for 25 seconds.

KJ Bluford was brought in to be a McGee type replacement. He one major skill was outside shooting but a minus in size ball handling and defense due to size. McGee made up for it with his great shooting once Bluford shown to be less than that he lost his minutes due to other limitations.

I watched a couple of games Edwards played for FNWCC. He rebounded and played the point for them a lot in addition to shooting 46% from 3. He has he size to contribute on the defensive end too. There is a reason that Edward is a top 20 JC recruit and Edwards was just inside the top 60 when he came.
I don't think we should compare the two just because they are in JC.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
We've been spoiled with Naz and Matt. Brown isnt as pure of a shooter as those two but with all due respect to he is the far superior overall scorer. Trust me he will still stretch the floor shooting 35% from three. His ability to score in a variety of ways will stress the defense.

Reactions: enisthemenace

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Yes, I never said you claimed they were tiny. You're the one that jumped into the discussion about whether it was a tiny lineup. It's not, and given it would be as big of a frontline as we've had, it's not a smaller one.

Do you not remember Georges Niang (6'8)or Jameel McKay (6'9)? Those two are taller than Young and Juiston, plus they had Nader, another guy who was 6'8. That means all three guys from just two seasons ago were taller/equal to the one you're talking about. The year before was Niang, McKay and Hogue. Prior to that was Niang, McKay and Ejim, prior that it was Niang and Ejim plus two tall guys Babb and Clyburn at the 2 and 3. So other than last year, its the smallest frontline we've had since McKay was on campus and would be the smallest all around team this decade. No idea where you're getting the biggest, unless you just became an ISU fan last year.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Do you not remember Georges Niang (6'8)or Jameel McKay (6'9)? Those two are taller than Young and Juiston, plus they had Nader, another guy who was 6'8. That means all three guys from just two seasons ago were taller/equal to the one you're talking about. The year before was Niang, McKay and Hogue. Prior to that was Niang, McKay and Ejim, prior that it was Niang and Ejim plus two tall guys Babb and Clyburn at the 2 and 3. So other than last year, its the smallest frontline we've had since McKay was on campus and would be the smallest all around team this decade. No idea where you're getting the biggest, unless you just became an ISU fan last year.

FWIW, Nader was 6'6" tall. Same with Ejim.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Brown is a better scorer and better player than Edwards. And when you're replacing 85% of your scoring it makes him a better fit. But we also have room and need for role players so Edwards would be nice, and a more realistic get. If both were to be on next year's roster we got substantially better, although it's not Edwards that would start.

Wigginton impressed me on Friday and I optimistic he can be the primary pg. But those thinking we don't need Brown because of him and rather need a guy like Bluford, I mean Edwards, are a bit too high. He's not ready to come in and carry a team from the scoring standpoint, which is exemplified in him missing the rim in two layups.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Both are taller than Brown...

Correct... I never said they weren't. But I thought you were arguing the frontcourt will be smaller than previous years' frontcourts.

And regardless, next years' frontcourt will not be smaller than 2016-2017's.

Next year's should be fairly similar to 2014-2016. Lard at 6'9", Kosongo at 6'9", Young at 6'8", and if we get Juiston that's 6'7". Very comparable in size to Niang/McKay days (although not going to say anything about talent and pure awesomeness.)

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I wouldn't say Young and Juiston are tiny compared to Georges and Ejim or Georges and McKay/Nader. And when you take into account post play, which is largely why people worry about size, any lineup without Georges is bigger.
Your tiny argument comes down to Jackson and Wigginton, which isn't functionally that important, particularly when Wigginton is a better athlete than the guys that were a couple inches taller.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
You may be right as it's rare a staff hits 3/3 on their top priorities, but I'm going to disagree on it be due to competing for minutes. I love our returning guys, but we're as open for minutes as any program as they're looking at. Long? Not many quality additions would even factor Long into it. Everyone has a Long. I like Babb a lot, but a recruit will have trouble finding a spot with less competition than a returning 7th/8th man.

A guy like Brown knows he'll start almost anywhere. A shooter Edwards comes in knowing he's a lock to see major minutes, and as good of chance at starting as anywhere given he's the best shooter going against freshman and a poor shooter for the wing spot.
Yeah, I was thinking about J. Long with all these names being thrown around. If we load up on too many wing players, it may be hard for him to find a way to get on the court. I don't claim to have any insight on how good he is or will become over the off-season but just from a numbers standpoint, that's a lot of guys - potentially - vying for PT over the next couple years. It could be that we strike out on most of these guys but if we land a few of them, it'll be competitive for those minutes.

• Agree
Reactions: Ajg515

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron