RECRUITING: Elijah Brown visit info

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Sounds like he is going to make the following visits, in this order: Oregon, Northwestern, Iowa State, Gonzaga.

Hearing Daniyal Robinson paid him an in-home visit last night.

Great info. Does Edwards recruitment change anything on him or are they both takes?

HAV

Jul 24, 2016
I'd say out of the lot of transfers, Brown is the biggest long-shot with the heavy-hitter suitors. Don't you agree?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Great info. Does Edwards recruitment change anything on him or are they both takes?

IMHO, both are takes. Juiston is as well. I'm guessing the 4th is between Shayock and Morrow.

I know Alstork is also out there, but it sounds like there are a lot of potential hurdles not present with the others.

The above is assuming everything works out according to plan. 100% speculation on my part. No inside info.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
IMHO, both are takes. Juiston is as well. I'm guessing the 4th is between Shayock and Morrow.

I know Alstork is also out there, but it sounds like there are a lot of potential hurdles not present with the others.

The above is assuming everything works out according to plan. 100% speculation on my part. No inside info.

I agree, and I think you wait on Shayok's decision before taking Morrow.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'm not sure on that ... My guess is that if Edwards pops then ISU might pull on Brown but I honestly don't know. I do know that the fact that ISU has been in on Edwards all year makes him awfully appealing.

I look at it this way. Brown and Shayok are dingers while Edwards is a solid double in the gap.

Would we take all three, yes but if we add Edwards and Shayok I think we'll see one more attrition casually.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I look at it this way. Brown and Shayok are dingers while Edwards is a solid double in the gap.

Would we take all three, yes but if we add Edwards and Shayok I think we'll see one more attrition casually.
Brown, Shayok and Edwards plus Juiston would be a home run spring recruiting period IMO. Put 110% of your effort into Race Thompson for 2018 to cover the void missed by not getting Morrow or a different sit-out big.

2017 Starters: Jackson, Brown, Edwards, Juiston, Young
2018 Starters: Wigginton, Edwards, Shayok, Juiston, Young

Even looking at those starters I'm discounting Lard, Babb and freshman Wigginton. Those teams would be set-up to make it into the Tournament for a lot of years to come.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Brown, Shayok and Edwards plus Juiston would be a home run spring recruiting period IMO. Put 110% of your effort into Race Thompson for 2018 to cover the void missed by not getting Morrow or a different sit-out big.

2017 Starters: Jackson, Brown, Edwards, Juiston, Young
2018 Starters: Wigginton, Edwards, Shayok, Juiston, Young

Even looking at those starters I'm discounting Lard, Babb and freshman Wigginton. Those teams would be set-up to make it into the Tournament for a lot of years to come.
I'm not sure I would pencil in Edwards as a starter over Wigginton for 2017.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

While I agree getting commitments form that the first Juston/Edwards/Brown who are eligible this year would be an excellent transfer year and ideal for the staff.
I am guessing ISU will only end up adding one guard out of that group (Alstork could factor late too). I doubt Edwards and Brown will want to compete for minutes with Wigginton, Jackson, Babb, and Long having only 2 and 1 year of eligibility.

I'll assume at that point we'll have 2 scholarships open to pursue both Marrow and Sharok though I wouldn't be surprised to see another couple of names pop up over the next month.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I'm not sure I would pencil in Edwards as a starter over Wigginton for 2017.
I agree. I noted at the end that I was discounting freshman Wigginton. I am super excited for him to come to ISU but it takes an elite talent to contribute in the Big 12 from day one. He could be it.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I agree. I noted at the end that I was discounting freshman Wigginton. I am super excited for him to come to ISU but it takes an elite talent to contribute in the Big 12 from day one. He could be it.
Agreed. I also just don't really know anything about Edwards. But it seems like he's more of just a shooter than all around player. Maybe a good 6th man or something like that.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
The timeline complicates things, but straight up priority Brown is the top of the guards. Obviously it'd be tough to pass on Edwards if he wants to commit prior to Brown, but Brown is the type that you go all out for, regardless. Imo the bigger question, although unlikely timing wise, is do you want Edwards if Brown were to commit first? I'd say yes, unless they think there's a decent chance at a big fish like Johnson or they want to play for a summer surprise.

I'm really glad we have 4 available spots.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
well one issue is Edwards will more than likely have a decision made by this time next week and Brown is not schedule to come in for 3 more weeks, and that is if he doesn't decide to commit to Oregon or Northwestern first.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
While I agree getting commitments form that the first Juston/Edwards/Brown who are eligible this year would be an excellent transfer year and ideal for the staff.
I am guessing ISU will only end up adding one guard out of that group (Alstork could factor late too). I doubt Edwards and Brown will want to compete for minutes with Wigginton, Jackson, Babb, and Long having only 2 and 1 year of eligibility..
You may be right as it's rare a staff hits 3/3 on their top priorities, but I'm going to disagree on it be due to competing for minutes. I love our returning guys, but we're as open for minutes as any program as they're looking at. Long? Not many quality additions would even factor Long into it. Everyone has a Long. I like Babb a lot, but a recruit will have trouble finding a spot with less competition than a returning 7th/8th man.

A guy like Brown knows he'll start almost anywhere. A shooter Edwards comes in knowing he's a lock to see major minutes, and as good of chance at starting as anywhere given he's the best shooter going against freshman and a poor shooter for the wing spot.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
well one issue is Edwards will more than likely have a decision made by this time next week and Brown is not schedule to come in for 3 more weeks, and that is if he doesn't decide to commit to Oregon or Northwestern first.
Agre. I was really hoping we could sneak in before OU and NW.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron