RECRUITING: Darius McNeill status

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Thought this was interesting, 7 commits to our 2:
View attachment 48480

They have even less than we do coming back, and are a difficult place to get grad transfers into because Cal is a hard place to get into grad school for anybody. Plus, their talent level is quite a bit lower than ours, so they haven't been as picky.

They do have Marcus Lee, who transferred from Kentucky, so Darius will have a great guy to throw lobs to.

Last edited:
Reactions: riceville98

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
They have even less than we do coming back, and are a difficult place to get grad transfers into because Cal is a hard place to get into grad school for anybody. Plus, their talent level is quite a bit lower than ours, so they haven't been as picky.
Also found interesting that of the schools with only 2 commits, ISU is 4th.

1. KU 1 5*, 1 4*
2. MSU 1 5* 1 4*
3. MD, one spot ahead of us with 2 4*

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
That's really, really bad considering there's quite a bit of weight put on the number of commits.
Adding a 200+ ranked guy would put us around 32nd. It drops off a lot after the 3rd guy, but a 4th 200+ guy would put us at 25th. I would guess Shayok and Jacobson would be ranked higher than 200th if they counted.

If transfers counted we'd be looking at a top 30 class easily.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
This is why I don't think McNeil will amount to jack s**t, and we won't end up regretting we didn't get him. He's a real softy that hides behind his mommy. Not quite Big 12 material.

You don't get to call people soft. That's the rule..

Reactions: Doc

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Adding a 200+ ranked guy would put us around 32nd. It drops off a lot after the 3rd guy, but a 4th 200+ guy would put us at 25th. I would guess Shayok and Jacobson would be ranked higher than 200th if they counted.

If transfers counted we'd be looking at a top 30 class easily.

I believe we were 29th with McNeill.

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm over this situation, have been for a while. But the one thing that annoyed me about it was how he DM'd one of our fans that he had been talking with and basically said "they know what they did" "You'll have to ask them what happened"

Don't know why a kid would respond like that, but if he wasn't BS'ing I hope we find out what the actual reasoning was. That was the only thing that really irked me

If he's not just full of **** (which I think he is) he's probably pissed they were looking for immediately eligible wings and guards. First of all, I can't imagine Prohm promising anything to anyone and second of all, I don't know why you'd expect a team to throw 4 scholarships at posts when they just lost 4 guards.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
If he's not just full of **** (which I think he is) he's probably pissed they were looking for immediately eligible wings and guards. First of all, I can't imagine Prohm promising anything to anyone and second of all, I don't know why you'd expect a team to throw 4 scholarships at posts when they just lost 4 guards.
I think he is full of **** as well, but it still has me questioning what really changed, ya know? I'm over him now, and think this decision was a him thing, not an us thing, but its always interesting when stuff like that happens.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
@NATEizKING

Thanks for talking me off a cliff.

Wigginton and Lewis are nice pieces.

Shayok and Jacobson are not doing bad at the transfer market.

If you get something out of Beverly and Brase, well, great.

Losing so many commitments hurts and missing out hurts, but we never had Juiston or Edwards for sure, and 3*s like Feazell and McNeill we can keep finding without too much problem.

Maybe not what we hoped for, but it is not terrible. Something like this was bound to happen given our 2-3 year gulf in recruiting and Prohm's (rightful) plan of action to maximize the returns from a senior-laden roster the past two years. Those two were a lot of fun.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
He can't come out with a list of schools until he has been released. Same with the other players. If they did that. There would be obvious tampering. Everyone has to act like he don't know where he will end up. Even the Cal coaches have to play dumb. Then when he is available the Cal coaches will scoop him up. Even though. We all know he is going to Cal, Coach Prohm knows he is going to Cal, His Mama knows. However, the game has to be played.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
He can't come out with a list of schools until he has been released. Same with the other players. If they did that. There would be obvious tampering. Everyone has to act like he don't know where he will end up. Even the Cal coaches have to play dumb. Then when he is available the Cal coaches will scoop him up. Even though. We all know he is going to Cal, Coach Prohm knows he is going to Cal, His Mama knows. However, the game has to be played.
tumblr_nzdbx6vGV71ueufq0o1_400.gif

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone