Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
My peppers are doing pretty well this year after failing last year. Green beans are also prolific and I think DH has like 7 watermelon going. Tomatoes coming along and carrots are kinda meh.

The vixen's 2 jalapeno plants have been going like gangbusters for weeks now. She probably picks a dozen or so from each plant every week. Her tomatoes are slow, though.

I'll have to take a picture of our hibiscus plant and post it. I kid you not, this thing is at least 5 feet tall and 6 feet around. The other day I counted 26 blooms. It's phenomenal.

Reactions: cowgirl836

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
My hibiscus all died, a volunteer cucumber in my amaryllis area was eaten, the lone pepper plant I put in the ground died a slow agonizing death by being eaten down to below ground level a little bit at a time, and those xxxx baby rabbits (2nd generation this summer at least) are not afraid of anything and chew on everything.
On a positive note, I have a Florida iris that grew way too large -- I even divided it twice over a few years -- that I couldn't bring it inside for the winter anymore. So I sadly threw them in an empty raised box last fall. This past weekend I saw new green leaves growing from it.
Do I win?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My hibiscus all died, a volunteer cucumber in my amaryllis area was eaten, the lone pepper plant I put in the ground died a slow agonizing death by being eaten down to below ground level a little bit at a time, and those xxxx baby rabbits (2nd generation this summer at least) are not afraid of anything and chew on everything.
On a positive note, I have a Florida iris that grew way too large -- I even divided it twice over a few years -- that I couldn't bring it inside for the winter anymore. So I sadly threw them in an empty raised box last fall. This past weekend I saw new green leaves growing from it.
Do I win?

The proper terminology is "bunny rats". :rolleyes:

Rabbits that used to plague the hood seem to be in a low population cycle, think it's all of the feral cats, freerange cats, fox and coyotes, maybe even the big owls I hear hooting. The rocky rats (aka raccoons) don't seem to be able to get into my feeder now that I've raised it on a thin pipe. They are retaliating by taking huge dumps in my lawn and under my deck. Very uncool.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The proper terminology is "bunny rats". :rolleyes:

Rabbits that used to plague the hood seem to be in a low population cycle, think it's all of the feral cats, freerange cats, fox and coyotes, maybe even the big owls I hear hooting. The rocky rats (aka raccoons) don't seem to be able to get into my feeder now that I've raised it on a thin pipe. They are retaliating by taking huge dumps in my lawn and under my deck. Very uncool.

Got the electric fence still up?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Do I win?

That iris sounds like a hosta - you just can't kill them! We have rabbits too, I have put up hardware cloth around the stuff I don't want eaten. The vixen has encouraged me to shoot the squirrels that raid our bird feeders, but she can't bear to think of me shooting a little bunny rabbit. I told her they are delicious to eat.....but this time of year they are way too full of fleas. :eek:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
But you get paid.
When I'm on my own, I've started researching angles like reentering the workforce after being a stay-at-home dad, and basically any angle I can find to overcome my own hurdles.

Have you thought about baseball? The rookie 1st baseman the Yanks called up the other day has a history degree from Princeton.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Asbestos update: We are getting moved and until that happens have been told not to work at our desks anymore. So I guess I am squatting in this focus room for a few days.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What was I thinking! Had a wild and undisciplined impulse to ask some friends and neighbors over Saturday night for a wine and cheese party on the deck. Based on the number of "sures" I am going to have to entertain like 15 people or so. I can do the buy wine part (duh!) but maybe overreached on the rest. Did wire a 2-way speaker switch yesterday so can at least put some mellow music on the deck. Glasses? No not have enough. Mosquitos? Yah, they popped last week in hordes. Cheeses and stuff? Help! Is it too late to hire a party coordinator to do the feed and decor?

Oh, and it will probably rain like hell. The weather curse and all.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
What was I thinking! Had a wild and undisciplined impulse to ask some friends and neighbors over Saturday night for a wine and cheese party on the deck. Based on the number of "sures" I am going to have to entertain like 15 people or so. I can do the buy wine part (duh!) but maybe overreached on the rest. Did wire a 2-way speaker switch yesterday so can at least put some mellow music on the deck. Glasses? No not have enough. Mosquitos? Yah, they popped last week in hordes. Cheeses and stuff? Help! Is it too late to hire a party coordinator to do the feed and decor?

Oh, and it will probably rain like hell. The weather curse and all.

Go to Byerly's the deli section manager/helpers can set you up with a nice cheese, crackers and fruit spread, preselect your wines and let them do the pairings and portioning. Go to Menards and get some of those granules to throw down on your yard to get rid of the skeeters. Dollar store has cheap glasses assuming you want to stay with glass and not go plastic. They will also have your plates, plastic silverware and napkins. If you want to go themed go to a party store and pick a theme.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Listening to the FART and hearing Woody freak out that Jared has never been to the fair is the yearly reminder that especially DSM area peeps think the state revolves around there and everyone does what they do.

I haven't been in probably close to two decades and my wife has never been. I would bet a significant percentage of the state is the same way.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Listening to the FART and hearing Woody freak out that Jared has never been to the fair is the yearly reminder that especially DSM area peeps think the state revolves around there and everyone does what they do.

I haven't been in probably close to two decades and my wife has never been. I would bet a significant percentage of the state is the same way.

I went once a couple years ago with the vixen and the girls, it was OK but not anything I'd rave about. Best part for me was the horse barn.....actually all the animals were fun to look at. The food, well, as a borderline diabetic those food kiosks are like a field of land mines.

Reactions: wxman1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron