Pro Iowa Soccer - Krause Development

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Pro/rel would be nice. I do think the single entity structure accelerated investment in the sport. Maybe a pro/rel league could stay afloat if it started today with modern interest in the game, but even ten years ago I’d have serious doubts. And I think as MLS grows in stature the parity of the league will be more appreciated. The drawbacks are obvious, but US pro sports have never cared about serving small markets.
That’s why I think soccer can grow better with relegation. You would see teams in locations that want to care rise and do better. Places like NY, LA, or Chicago if they don’t want to support can fail. Soccer is never going to compete with the other main sports but it can carve its niche.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This is a bit of a tangent, but up here in Minnesota they announced the name of their new women's semi-pro soccer team. The Minnesota Aurora FC will play in the new USL W league starting this spring.

minnesota-aurora-logo.jpg

Community owned so is this like the Packers or a coop where they sold so many shares to the stockholders?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
That’s why I think soccer can grow better with relegation. You would see teams in locations that want to care rise and do better. Places like NY, LA, or Chicago if they don’t want to support can fail. Soccer is never going to compete with the other main sports but it can carve its niche.
There’s enough people in those cities that that soccer can be very niche and still survive there. And I’d reckon that soccer is less niche in those very metropolitan areas than it every will be in a place like DSM. Even in a pro/rel environment it’s hard to imagine the Menace as anything more than a semi-pro team akin to the Barnstormers.

• Disagree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
There’s enough people in those cities that that soccer can be very niche and still survive there. And I’d reckon that soccer is less niche in those very metropolitan areas than it every will be in a place like DSM. Even in a pro/rel environment it’s hard to imagine the Menace as anything more than a semi-pro team akin to the Barnstormers.
A place like Des Moines or other smaller cities would be more successful. See Portland. They have basketball but nothing else and their community really supported it. If you took cities that don’t have existing major league sports you are going to see them support it more than cities that have everything else. Maybe the big cities still have enough people to just beat smaller cities by shear numbers but the relegation system is the ultimate let the market decide.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Exactly the same only totally different.

Roughly $325 to become a owner, once you averaged the million into the stockholders, hope it works out good , seems like a neat idea. The video that was linked earlier was really good. Not really a huge soccer fan but after watching the video I'd go to a game just to be supportive.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Roughly $325 to become a owner, once you averaged the million into the stockholders, hope it works out good , seems like a neat idea. The video that was linked earlier was really good. Not really a huge soccer fan but after watching the video I'd go to a game just to be supportive.
I imagine they have a whole bunch of $100 owners and a handful of larger ones.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Shagcarpet is exactly right. From google below. This is why I think USL could give the MLS a run for their money in the long run.

Any channce of friendlies with MLS teams? Would be cool to get a home game agains KC or Minnesota.

“MLS owners are currently protected as a closed league with fixed membership and one of the few leagues in the world that does not use promotion and relegation. ... Since MLS clubs share revenue, they are incentivized to control costs and to protect their investments as part of a single-entity ownership system.”
USL teams can host MLS teams in the US Open Cup. When FC Cincinnati was still in the USL, they hosted US Open Cup matches against the Chicago Fire (W), NY Red Bulls (L) - the year they made it to the semis and somebody else (don't remember as I was in Dublin that day) the following year. The game against the Red Bulls was my first FCC game, and it was AWESOME!

Last edited:
Reactions: ForbinsAscynt

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I would hope it does or at least transitions into the academy system for this new team. That's the secret to success for a lot of teams, a robust academy system.

Well in current form USL 2 which we are in is not professional, it is college guys getting room and board for the summer. It is currently not set up to be an academy team for anyone.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
happy 1 year anniversary to the last tweet from this account

View attachment 121883
RIP...most likey

Krause sold Kum & Go, killing that brand... Least he could do is build this stadium with the billions he got from the sale. We need some billionaires with balls around here...
Also that'd be less money to donate to the hoks.

• Winner
Reactions: Messi

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
RIP...most likey

Krause sold Kum & Go, killing that brand... Least he could do is build this stadium with the billions he got from the sale. We need some billionaires with balls around here...
Also that'd be less money to donate to the hoks.
I safely assume every single dollar is going into his winery and Italian soccer club

• Agree
Reactions: Messi and wxman1

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I safely assume every single dollar is going into his winery and Italian soccer club
yea asking the city of DSM to help subsidize a stadium while burning through his money in italy is a tough ask for Kyle to the taxpayers

• Agree
Reactions: Bader

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Spend your own money.

"Nearly 60% of the time a family's money is exhausted by the children of the person who created the wealth, according to Roy Williams, president of wealth consultancy The Williams Group. In 90% of the cases it's gone by the time the grandchildren die."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron