Possible candidates for ISU's open OC position...

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Although the list has plenty of good coordinators, lets not forget Rhoads is a run first guy. He wants to be a run first school and most of the coaches are pass first guys. I'd be fine with most of those guys taking the reins, but I see Rhoads getting an OC who runs it a lot, similar to what coach K did at Nevada.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Lincoln Riley or Nick Rolovich would also be good choices.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Although the list has plenty of good coordinators, lets not forget Rhoads is a run first guy. He wants to be a run first school and most of the coaches are pass first guys. I'd be fine with most of those guys taking the reins, but I see Rhoads getting an OC who runs it a lot, similar to what coach K did at Nevada.

Rhoads may be a run-first guy, but the highest-ever rated (verbal) ISU commit that will be a freshman next year is a wide receiver. We better damn well be getting that kid the ball.

Reactions: JBone84

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Rhoads may be a run-first guy, but the highest-ever rated (verbal) ISU commit that will be a freshman next year is a wide receiver. We better damn well be getting that kid the ball.

We can also throw to open up the run. I know, novel concept.

Just because those guys have heavy passing backgrounds doesn't mean they can't run it either if we have the talent, like we will with Wimberly and Co.

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Williams: Who will be the next OC?

Williams: Who will be the next OC? Thinking out loud? | News | Football | Cyclone Fanatic

I'm going to comment on each of those listed here - and thanks for the list and more importantly the reasoning behind those listed.

Scott Strohmeier, Iowa Western C.C. head coach - Not likely. Recruiting for Juco is totally different than Div I and that needs to improve as well. Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting. Say what you will about our previous Auburn bound coach, but he did recruit NFL talent to ISU (Leonard Johnson, KO) on a team desperately needing more talent. Biggest weakness with this idea is recruiting experience and base.

Mark Mangino, former Kansas head coach, assistant coach at Youngstown State - OH HELL NO! Doesn't anyone remember how hated he was by his team and how glad they were to be rid of him? See USC and Kiffen for 2013 reminder. Go back and read what guys recruited by him had to say. Totally goes against the "players coach" and mentoring mentality of current coaching staff and what works with players today. Chizik would be a better hire. Or even his old O-coordinator if you're going for most value per pound and have that fat fetish so many here seem to have.

Tony Franklin, California offensive coordinator - High Probability if Tony's job status is dicey and no other suitors. Coaches like to hire guys they know or learn about from trusted past coaching relationships. Coach Mac brought Wally to ISU due to trust between him and Rhoads. Relationship history, if good between the two puts him a high probability.

Dave Christensen, former Wyoming head coach - Possibility, but if you can't cut it at Wyoming? Not going to excite recruits. See CC coach comments about recruiting.

Todd Sturdy or Chris Klenakis - Sturdy brought to coach his strong suit in passing game, Klenakis brought to coach his strong suit in running game. Both are good solid hires and I like what I'm already seeing on O-Line recruits being much bigger in the 2013 class (Klenakis influence). They both should see larger influence in the O play calling and recruiting targeting imo going forward.

Sage Rosenfels, former Iowa State/NFL quarterback - Yes, that's the right idea! ISU's weakest link under Rhoads? QB development and recruiting. Need a guy that the QB's can relate to and be developed under. Is Sage that guy? Unproven. Pluses are should be able to attract and retain much better QB recruits. What single player will make more difference on a team than QB? Ask Klenakis if he'd be here without that Nevada QB that currently starts for SF 49ers. Nope. Bring him in as QB coordinator and have Sturdy and Klenakis share o-coord duties if they can work well together in that role and let Sage grow into the position only as QB play improves. Or have them mentor his as needed. I'm sure he's learned a thing or two about game planning after so many years in the NFL.

Major Applewhite, Texas co-offensive coordinator - Hell no! Oh hell no! Chizik part II except I'd expect him to be handing the game plans over to Texas every year to boot.

Bill Legg, Marshall offensive coordinator
- Definitely outside the box, back to question about recruiting and how is he better than Klenakis or Sturdy? They both had BCS level experience. But is a blue collar based program, so that part fits.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
H

HGPuck

My preferred scenario would be Sage as the QB coach and bring in an OC that has experience working with RBs. I like the idea of having an assistant that could put a majority of their energies in QB development without all the additional responsibilities that being OC entails. And if Sage works out well and gains coaching experience he could end up being the OC at some point.

Reactions: dinger

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Re: Williams: Who will be the next OC?

I would add what about NFL guys likely to be looking for work like the Houston Texans O-coord for example??

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

Merge please.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Dave Christensen would be a home run hire. I just hope Rhoads is looking to hire a guy outside the program this time.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com

Williams: Who will be the next OC? Thinking out loud? | News | Football | Cyclone Fanatic

I'm going to comment on each of those listed here - and thanks for the list and more importantly the reasoning behind those listed.
Dave Christensen, former Wyoming head coach - Possibility, but if you can't cut it at Wyoming? Not going to excite recruits. See CC coach comments about recruiting.

Okay, but you can't just completely forget about all of the great things he did as an OC at Mizzou.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Okay, but you can't just completely forget about all of the great things he did as an OC at Mizzou.

Yeah, Wyoming is one of the toughest HC jobs in FBS and he took them to 2 straight bowl games before missing the last two.

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX

If you want a Texas coach, look to Houston. They have had an incredible ability to find legit offensive coaches way above the likes of Texas or OU of late. I'd be talking with them for ideas. Not Texas. Hell, not Texas. Or OU.

It's Tony Franklin's if he wants it most likely unless Rhoads is going to go outside his known coaching relationships. Shown he's willing to do that with Klenakis and Sturdy somewhat.

ShopTalk

Dec 13, 2008
Houston, TX

Yeah, Wyoming is one of the toughest HC jobs in FBS and he took them to 2 straight bowl games before missing the last two.

I did say Dave Christensen is a possibility and I'm not questioning showing ability to coach offense. But ISU needs a guy that gets more out of less and not sure he's that guy and no links to ISU and the recruiting issue make him a backup choice imo. Key plus in his favor is he's available right now, so interview him. He might be the guy - just not exciting hire to start.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009

Sage - does he want to be a coach?

Applewhite: comes with a little baggage - he had an improper relationship with a student trainer couple of years ago. Officially, the matter has been resolved, but there's no guarantee.....

Mangino: I am all for second chance, but has he learned from his past mistakes?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

IIRC Tony Franklin makes something like $550,000 plus there are retention bonuses he would lose and penalties that would have to be paid if he left. Tony Franklin is not going anywhere IMO.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron