Pollard Details Recommended Cuts

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I can't imagine what some of you are going to do if the entire season has to be canceled?

This is a pandemic folks. Yes... sports may not ever be the same again because of this and how we've f'ed it up. Life will probably never be the same. It's time to put on big boy pants and start living with that very possible reality.

We all couldn't do what we had to do for a couple months this summer, and now it has come home to roost. Just wait for flu season to hit on top of this.... in addition to all the kids that have just gone back to school.

We had our chance, but people just HAD to live life like nothing happened and believe it was all just a hoax. You can deal with it, or you can call people names..... your choice.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If sports were a 'reward' we would not be playing.
Sports (football mainly) is the economic lifeline to keeping ISU financially stable... and now have to deal with the consequences... there certainly was some middle ground here.
Pretty sure isu would function fine without football, unless you meant athletic department when you said keep isu financially stable.

L

LincolnWay187

You guys need to chill. Jamie is doing what has to be done to fix the situation. I am confident covid cases in Iowa are going to drop in the coming months. Sure Iowa State students are mixing it up, but it is no more dense than places like NYC or Dallas, TX where new COVID cases are back to June levels and falling.

Reactions: Chitowncy

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
CY has been an icon for 50 years at our University, maybe not to Campanille standards, but next tier down. Don't feel this is going to end well for the University without some creative management thinking; maybe turn CY over to the foundation? or Alumni Association. Don't think CY should be on the chopping block, but I also don't want to see Athletics loose its momentum.

IMHO, We've ***** the Virus response, now ignorance is having its effect. ********

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Never understood why concerts fall under Jamie’s jurisdiction. As people have mentioned, he is the reason Hilton doesn’t get concerts anymore. I get Des Moines makes more sense but to think back on all the great concerts and know we won’t see those types of acts in Ames again makes me sad

Wells Fargo is why Hilton stopped getting concerts.

The university transferred management of the remainder of the Iowa State Center from the Operations/Finance department to athletics last year.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
with the garbage you've posted over the last 6 months it's people like you that are why we have this problem. you constantly downplayed the virus. you constantly posted in opposition to reasonable efforts that would have reduced the virus. there are too many people like you in this country and that's why we have the problems we have with this virus.

The problem isn't "sensitives" it's selfish ***** like you that can't look past your own nose.
"Downplayed" the virus, yet the numbers clearly have shown that you've completely overblown it this whole time. People like you coming up with narratives that don't exist, including several of the social issues that have come up the last few months.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Ehh....no one is happy about this. There's a difference between being happy about it and realizing that almost all scientific evidence did not support his initial decision.
His initial decision was stupid. Why on earth he wanted to set the baseline at 25,000 is beyond comprehending. And now he's swung the pendulum all the way back in the other direction. Half measures are no fun, but maybe the athletic dept wouldn't be in the position it is now had he decided to allow say, 25% fans as opposed to 25k

3rdCoastClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2017
Gulf Coast of Texas
I can't imagine what some of you are going to do if the entire season has to be canceled?

This is a pandemic folks. Yes... sports may not ever be the same again because of this and how we've f'ed it up. Life will probably never be the same. It's time to put on big boy pants and start living with that very possible reality.

We all couldn't do what we had to do for a couple months this summer, and now it has come home to roost. Just wait for flu season to hit on top of this.... in addition to all the kids that have just gone back to school.

We had our chance, but people just HAD to live life like nothing happened and believe it was all just a hoax. You can deal with it, or you can call people names..... your choice.
People are tired of your preaching.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Pretty sure isu would function fine without football, unless you meant athletic department when you said keep isu financially stable.
D1 schools would get screwed with no sports. Our entire academic system would be reworked.

As much as people like to pretend it isn’t the case how many people wouldn't have readjusted their college plans if sports didn’t factor in. I know I would have gone to a different school without sports being what they are.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Once again the fear of someone getting COVID is worse than COVID itself. Not having fans is going to affect 100s of lives for years to come.

I assume you are donating the cost of the 2020 football tickets to the AD to help with this shortfall and help those hundreds of lives?

I am.

Reactions: CyBobby

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
"Downplayed" the virus, yet the numbers clearly have shown that you've completely overblown it this whole time. People like you coming up with narratives that don't exist, including several of the social issues that have come up the last few months.
Overblown? 200,000 people are dead. Even more are dealing with long-term consequences of the virus. and those numbers would be even higher if we had listened to people like you the entire way along.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Man - I read that letter entirely differently. I saw no animosity or one upsmanship. Thought it was a very rational and well-written letter...

I said earlier I thought it might be politically motivated, but to be clear I don't think that necessarily means it was antagonistic in nature. I don't see it as some overt shot at anyone. It's meant to rally support by showing the downside of no fans. Fair enough.

Having said all that, one thing the letter is NOT is well-written. The fact that the letter raises more questions than it answers is proof enough of that.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
As much as people like to pretend it isn’t the case how many people wouldn't have readjusted their college plans if sports didn’t factor in. I know I would have gone to a different school without sports being what they are.
Why?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Once again the fear of someone getting COVID is worse than COVID itself. Not having fans is going to affect 100s of lives for years to come.

No.... Covid is going to affect millions of lives for years to come..... not just not having fans at sporting events. Wake up! Millions of people are already suffering in their lives.... or dead...... from this virus. None of this is new folks. Did you really think universities and sports teams would be exempt from all of this??

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I've had close to 50% of my work get infected and test positive recently. None of them had symptoms worse that a common cold. Half of the infected had none at all and just got tested because it was going through. Quite a few of them are in their 50s and 60s. Close to 40% of covid deaths across the U.S. have come from nusing homes, a place where the majority of people die within a year. Hospital beds in Ames, Iowa City, Des Moines where the hot spots are are still well below capacity. But you have the same morons like Alarson banging on that drumb that things can't be worked back to normal until a vaccine.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
He's playing a dangerous game with his wording, setting himself up as the one who tried to find a way, and then putting consequences as a result of "the decision," while separating himself from that decision.

He's pretty petty and thin-skinned, and everyone knew that decreased revenues would have effects. His game of dumping this upward is one that can get a guy fired quickly, and guys who get fired like that deserve it.

I can't understand the resistance to transparency. What is lost by just putting it out on the table what the likely ramifications are? Juxtapose that against U of I having Barta call a surprise meeting and cancel a bunch of sports.

There's nothing whiney about it. The decision was made not to have fans, and that decision has implications. He's outlining the implications.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron