Pollard Details Recommended Cuts

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
JP is lucky we're even playing games. Just wait until the entire season gets canceled one of these weeks because people refused to believe in the severity of this virus. Iowa is up over 1k cases again today. This state is a s**t show.

JP was beyond stupid to go with 25k right off the bat too. No way that was going to fly when Ames was one of the worst infected places in the world.

As it has been said by some of us for months and months..... sports are the reward for those places that can show they are big boys and girls and take this virus seriously.... we've NEVER done that. Congrats.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Performing arts under athletics tops the dumb scale for me. And what sports? Can only drop 2 to meet D1 requirement and then you getta deal with Title 9 so this will be interesting

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I'll also note he gambled big and lost. Had he gone with 25% like most of the rest of the big 12 had gone with there probably would have been a lot less pushback headed Wendy's way that forced her hand in canceling all fans for the first game. Instead he went full steam ahead and released a plan that if you looked at the seating chart did not allow for an adequate amount of distancing.
Good god this is dumb. The 15% wasn't the difference. He and Wendy still would have gotten the same push back from the sensitives.

L

LincolnWay187

He's playing a dangerous game with his wording, setting himself up as the one who tried to find a way, and then putting consequences as a result of "the decision," while separating himself from that decision.

He's pretty petty and thin-skinned, and everyone knew that decreased revenues would have effects. His game of dumping this upward is one that can get a guy fired quickly, and guys who get fired like that deserve it.
I think his wording is justified.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
He's playing a dangerous game with his wording, setting himself up as the one who tried to find a way, and then putting consequences as a result of "the decision," while separating himself from that decision.

He's pretty petty and thin-skinned, and everyone knew that decreased revenues would have effects. His game of dumping this upward is one that can get a guy fired quickly, and guys who get fired like that deserve it.

Man - I read that letter entirely differently. I saw no animosity or one upsmanship. Thought it was a very rational and well-written letter...

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
JP is lucky we're even playing games. Just wait until the entire season gets canceled one of these weeks because people refused to believe in the severity of this virus. Iowa is up over 1k cases again today. This state is a s**t show.

JP was beyond stupid to go with 25k right off the bat too. No way that was going to fly when Ames was one of the worst infected places in the world.

As it has been said by some of us for months and months..... sports are the reward for those places that can show they are big boys and girls and take this virus seriously.... we've NEVER done that. Congrats.

If sports were a 'reward' we would not be playing.
Sports (football mainly) is the economic lifeline to keeping ISU financially stable... and now have to deal with the consequences... there certainly was some middle ground here.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Good god this is dumb. The 15% wasn't the difference. He and Wendy still would have gotten the same push back from the sensitives.

You say 15% to make it seem smaller but that's a 60% greater amount of attendance. Being way out of line with what everyone else is doing when Ames was seeing some of the highest testing numbers of anywhere in the country was never going to fly.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I'll also note he gambled big and lost. Had he gone with 25% like most of the rest of the big 12 had gone with there probably would have been a lot less pushback headed Wendy's way that forced her hand in canceling all fans for the first game. Instead he went full steam ahead and released a plan that if you looked at the seating chart did not allow for an adequate amount of distancing.

I didn't see it until a day or two ago, but in this Gazette story (following Monday's announcement but before Wednesday's reversal), Pollard assumed fans at the first game would not be possible, and it was only after he met with their experts that they moved forward.

But I agree 25K was aggressive, though I think once they announced that they might have been able to change course and go with 10-15K rather than zero fans at all.

Reactions: STLISU

3rdCoastClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2017
Gulf Coast of Texas

You don't have a f****** clue about anything.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I would think they would ultimately seek out a loan like Iowa did

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

What other school has received push back. You propose a much higher % of capacity than any other school and you will receive push back.

And honestly, there was as much support for the plan as there was pushback.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
with the garbage you've posted over the last 6 months it's people like you that are why we have this problem. you constantly downplayed the virus. you constantly posted in opposition to reasonable efforts that would have reduced the virus. there are too many people like you in this country and that's why we have the problems we have with this virus.

The problem isn't "sensitives" it's selfish ***** like you that can't look past your own nose.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Never understood why concerts fall under Jamie’s jurisdiction. As people have mentioned, he is the reason Hilton doesn’t get concerts anymore. I get Des Moines makes more sense but to think back on all the great concerts and know we won’t see those types of acts in Ames again makes me sad

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Let's just say I have a little insight on this.

The words do not match what some are insinuating. Even when trying to read between the lines it doesn't come off as antagonistic to Wendy or the Uni. And I do read at a 6th grade level which is several levels higher than most based on my ego.

• Agree
  • Dumb
Reactions: simply1 and aauummm

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Man - I read that letter entirely differently. I saw no animosity or one upsmanship. Thought it was a very rational and well-written letter...
Agreed. Just shows how reasonable minds can differ everyone. We're all in this together.

As for the letter itself, those would be horrible consequences to lose sports and CY Stephens particularly. That performing arts venue is so important to Ames. I hope we can have fans back in the stadium by October. To me, the letter seemed timed well to release to everyone "hey, this is what can happen" which will put more pressure on having football with fans in October. Hope we can return to some fans (maybe 15,000?) and the next few weeks will see our curve drop.