DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Is there going to be a suggestion/feedback thread? There are so many things I hate.

The bold colored forum name on every thread is terrible and makes it look so cheap. I don't see people using it much at all, if you want a specific topic, just go to that forum. Like Politics and Pro Sports look like the same color to the eye, how is this helpful at all when trying to sort.

This whole setup is so unuserfriendly it's unreal. Stop changing the wheel when you don't need to.

Agree with all of this. The new format feels like I’m on cyclone report or Iowa Preps in 2007.

• Disagree
Reactions: kilroy and Acylum

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Not sure if by design or potential flaw...
1. Log into forum
2. Close browser
3. Open new browser instance
4. Paste https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/ into url bar

It's automatically logged back into my account.

Sounds like expected behavior for any account system online, so as long as you logged in with "stay logged in". The browsers cookies maintain your current session between instances of that browser.

Then again, if you logged in without that option enabled and this is happening, sounds like a bug. Try clearing your browser history/cache and trying again?

Note: I'm in no way affiliated with the dev team of the site, just offering some hopefully helpful two cents.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Is there going to be a suggestion/feedback thread? There are so many things I hate.

The bold colored forum name on every thread is terrible and makes it look so cheap. I don't see people using it much at all, if you want a specific topic, just go to that forum. Like Politics and Pro Sports look like the same color to the eye, how is this helpful at all when trying to sort.

This whole setup is so unuserfriendly it's unreal. Stop changing the wheel when you don't need to.
Why so much dead space on the right as well. It's like the developers don't understand the concept of responsive scaling.

Oof, much grumpiness, change is hard. :mccaffery:

Though I'm genuinely curious about both of these critiques. Some issues could be a legit bug with your particular viewing experience, so some more info provided, rather than insults to the devs, is always most helpful.
  • Thread titles on the main forum list have always had the category names included; is it the background color choices of those category titles that you find troublesome? I tend to agree with that. All things considered they are a bit bright, bold, and distracting (taste the rainbow). They could be more low key.
  • I guess I can't say there is dead space on the right side for me, all columns (menus, thread posts, and sidebar) respond to changes in browser size and remain centered on page together.
    • Though do you just mean on large desktop widths there is empty space to the right of the sidebar? If that's the case, it's most likely an expected and good thing. Best practice for blog/forum display is to not allow lines of text to extend to the full browser width at fullscreen widths. It would make lines of text super long and drastically reduces legibility.
Now I'm not part of the dev team, but some helpful tips for any kind of website feedback:
  1. Include a mention of which browser you're on, also clarify mobile or desktop.
    1. if you're on desktop, include your display resolution and screen scaling settings
  2. Include a screenshot of what you're seeing as helpful evidence for the developers to investigate

Last edited:

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
@ChrisMWilliams and @JStanz51 and the entire CF team, congrats on the new site launch.
  1. The changes to menu options and menu locations is taking a bit of getting used to, but that's true of any social platform update. It'll come in time.
  2. The improved site performance alone on both mobile and deskop are super refreshing and much needed. Super stoked about that.
  3. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for including the coach emojis.
  4. I second the recurring mention that each thread post could use a few forced line breaks between the last line of text in the post and the user's signature block. It's making the sigs look like part of every reply.
  5. SUUUUPER minor critique: Could the devs add some padding after each list item? Example: this ordered list I'm posting right now has no line spacing after each list item which makes this numbered list of comments look like one big jumbled paragraph and hard to read right now.
  6. Not necessarily a bug, but I find that new forum filter on the right sidebar super helpful!

Is it possible to have those filters be a preference retained for the current browser session or at the user account level? If not, I hereby submit that as a feature request.

Just to clarify, this thing right here: forumlist.jpg

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but I have just been trading a convo with my good buddy @Gunnerclone in the PGA Tour there, and each time I refresh the forum page, that thread isn’t showing up...like it disappeared. I am thoroughly confused

EDIT: Now I can’t find the thread i want at all. The “new posts“ seems to be broken. FWIW...I am on mobile. iPhone.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
2 things.:

1) Using the app, going to Forums>Recent Posts brings up an "Oops! We ran into some problems." page.

2) Can't attach files to posts using the app. Otherwise I would give a screenshot of the 1st problem.
Forums>Recent Posts in the app now goes to "New Posts" which is great, but it used to go to "Latest" which I use more often. I know...first works problems, but the extra click to get to the Latest posts is annoying. Maybe put another option in the app to go to "Latest" since the Recent Posts link is now going to New Posts?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I figured out the issue I was having. Whenever I re-enter the site, a default filter of “unread” is added. When I remove that filter, I get the threads back. I have no idea how to get rid of that filter as the default setting.

Also, when I re-enter a thread...one I have already read, it doesn’t seem to have a “bookmark” feature where it takes me to the last post. I re-enter the thread and I am back to post #1, instead of where I left off previously. I also can’t seem to be able to just go to the last post (even if I haven’t read the thread before). How is that done?

Again...mobile/iOS user.

EDIT: Think I have it all figured out. Thanks.

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
Anyone else experiencing this? I cannot login with Chrome.
I have had this problem on Chrome and Firefox. Tried logging on 5-6 times just now, nothing. Tried again 2 minutes later, it worked. Browsing history is set to be erased every time we close chrome, so it's a little problematic.

josh4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2012
Ames, IA
Not a bug but more of a question. When I want to post a picture it says the file is to large. Is there a way for the site to automatically compress it? What is the current max attachment size? Anyone have a tip that doesn't involve jumping through a ton of hoops. Thanks

Reactions: arobb

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Super minor observation. The notification "number" does not stand out. Several times, I've been on the site without even knowing that I had a notification. You might want to do something other than red on red (perhaps, oh maybe, I'll stretch here, gold on red).

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
@ChrisMWilliams

Hey CW or anyone else in the finance dept, just curious, is there a particular ad banner that if I click on provides you more revenue than the others? AKA the bottom banner or the right side banner or the middle of the page ads?

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
I noticed when opening a photo someone has attached, it puts empty boxes in the corner where you typically would have the X to close out of it.

Desktop, Mac, Chrome browser

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 9.06.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 9.06.44 AM.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 5

clonefanpaul

Omnipresent Lurker
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Voting in polls, on the mobile site (browser) appears to not function. I can’t select any vote option. Tried on iPad and iPhone. Using chrome as browser.

Reactions: amishclone

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
The little “jump to post” arrow image in a quoted post appears to be bad reference

55DB764B-DDCD-405F-AC3F-DE38825960B5.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
This may be more of a question than anything else, but I'm finding it hard to navigate to the Premium features. I've wanted to sign up for some time, but being an out-of-stater, I really only get use out of the Premium message board. I finally signed up after Jeremy's plea as I have taken much from this board for free and feel I owe something back.

That said, the only way I can seem to find the Premium message board it to click on Forums -> Forum List and then scroll down. A direct link on the home page would not only help premium users, but advertise for non-subscribers. You could probably even preview posts to tease non-subscribers with what is being discussed.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way?

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
This may be more of a question than anything else, but I'm finding it hard to navigate to the Premium features. I've wanted to sign up for some time, but being an out-of-stater, I really only get use out of the Premium message board. I finally signed up after Jeremy's plea as I have taken much from this board for free and feel I owe something back.

That said, the only way I can seem to find the Premium message board it to click on Forums -> Forum List and then scroll down. A direct link on the home page would not only help premium users, but advertise for non-subscribers. You could probably even preview posts to tease non-subscribers with what is being discussed.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way?
I think you're right. I use Chome and added a shortcut to the Premium board, when opening new tabs.

You'll also see new posts or threads from the Premium board show up in the "New Posts" view.
There just isn't a ton of activity on the Premium board, especially compared to all the activity on the free boards, so posts can be a little hard to find.