*** Official UNI VS IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Only first game this season, but so far you are correct.

It's one thing I have not liked about this staff since the beginning. Their lack of creativity in the off-season. Or at the very least, not using creativity in the beginning of the season.

They had a whole off-season to implement Lanning into an offensive role, but only used it when they were forced to. Also, came into a season thinking a bland Kempt was good enough to win multiple games.

I have no idea of Real's abilities, but if he has skills he needs to be out there in some capacity. Again, it is the first game, against an opponent they should never have to be creative against, so I will withhold judgment.
Right on.

On one hand the approach seemingly works well enough to have very good seasons. On the other, it’s the weak link from seriously competing for a Big 12 title. It keeps us in games we are underdogs in, but also makes you nearly unable to overcome a few bad plays against UNI.

After the UNI and Drake games, I think it’s fair to ask if we can execute at the level needed when being conservative, predictable, and seemingly unable to manipulate the defense more than a blind squirrel finding a nut. We were the team that “gave” up a defensive td, missed an easy FG, and nearly a game ending fumble. We had many drive stalling miscues and penalties.

Are our execution issues hurt or helped by our grouping of plays? No weather excuse this time. Imo Purdy was the shot in the arm our rudimentary offense needed, but not the Purdy we saw today. If we had a Purdy play like UNI’s QB with our run game, we would have torched UNI. (Our run game was solid. Despite no big runs, the RBs averaged 4.6 ypc, though I fear the injury to our center in the OT will hurt going forward)

Last edited:
Reactions: khardbored

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Random thoughts

• CMC is better at being over .500 after 3 seasons and 1 game than Rhoads was, so enjoy it.
  • The defense looks as great as expected.
  • The post Butler passing offense is going to be a work in progress. Purdy in times of need could just throw it deep to Butler last year and complete it about 50% of the time.
  • The run game looks to have a nice set of diverse backs, but we aint going to see the Montgomery physicality on display with any of em. DM was a man.
  • When we see some Purdy runs the offense will operate more efficiently.
For anyone in "woe is me" mode about today, its ******* football and it doesn't even come easy for Alabama.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Just stopped in after the game to say

Holyshitwhatjusthappenedthankgodwepulledthatoutidontknowwhattothinknowiamexhaustedandneedbeer

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
If anyone recalls, Tom Manning was good for a head scratcher or two a season his first time here. I believe this was one of those days at the office for him. He refused to commit to the run when it worked well enough most all day, especially in short yardage situations.

Also surprised that CMC didn't go for one of those 4th and shorts at mid field early in the game.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'd say the offense looked pretty similar to the first drive a lot of different times today. Move the ball for a while, then have a mistake that stalls the drive. Also, the Jones sweep pitch wasn't in the first drive, I don't think. Because I remember Hall having a great block on it, and Hall wasn't in until at least the second drive. And despite not seeing that exact play again, I'd say they utilized Jones pretty darn well. They may have not done the sweep, but they used a couple of screens and a few swing passes to get the ball to him in space, which have the same effect as that shovel pass sweep.

Definitely wasn’t the first drive because I missed the first drive and still saw it.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Just here to say that I hate UNI “fans”. The ones sitting behind me had absolutely no clue how football works. One said we were cheating because they reviewed a play, and then said that no one touched a guy so he wasn’t down.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
If anyone recalls, Tom Manning was good for a head scratcher or two a season his first time here. I believe this was one of those days at the office for him. He refused to commit to the run when it worked well enough most all day, especially in short yardage situations.

Also surprised that CMC didn't go for one of those 4th and shorts at mid field early in the game.

Ehh. Your defense is dominating. There’s no reason to put them in bad spots.

I get it though. But this game was vanilla as vanilla can be. Will be interesting going forward.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Just here to say that I hate UNI “fans”. The ones sitting behind me had absolutely no clue how football works. One said we were cheating because they reviewed a play, and then said that no one touched a guy so he wasn’t down.

They are a strange lot. Not especially knowledgeable

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I get it though. But this game was vanilla as vanilla can be. Will be interesting going forward.

UNI didn't score a touchdown on the ISU defense. I refuse to accept that horrible call on the drop in the endzone. The call on the Purdy fumble was identical to the UNI one earlier in the game, so that was pretty well BS too.

Bottom like, ISU needs to block better and they need to get Purdy out of the pocket once in a while. It is what he does best.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think my brain finally processed this game.

You know the concept "Don't play with your food; eat it"? I'm pretty sure that's what happened with ISU today. ISU went with an extremely vanilla game plan, combined with some really questionable offensive play calls mixed in, against a game UNI team and it nearly cost them the game.

I understand the desire to play a vanilla game. You don't want to tip your hand to future opponents, you want to keep things as risk averse as possible the first week of the season, etc. But this has come so close to backfiring against ISU so many times that I don't understand why they keep doing it. First, ISU isn't talented enough to be of the mentality that we can just walk over anybody, and probably never will be. Second, this is Campbell's fourth year at ISU. Most of our opponents probably already know what we're going to do, so what exactly does "hiding" things from future opponents really serve? It would be better to put a team like UNI away early and possibly play backups later in the game instead of "showing nothing" most of the game only to be forced to open up the playbook late in the game in an effort to save our asses from humiliation.

I think we're going to be okay. The fans of our next opponent are already marking the game off as a W. Meanwhile, we now have two weeks to get our **** together.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
To anyone mad about the conservative nature of our offense.....that is what we are going to, and what you are going to get with Campbell. We want to play conservative offense, control the clock, and win with defense. It would have worked perfect today if not for the scoring play for UNI on the turnover. It allows us to stay in the game against Oklahoma, and allows UNI to stay in the game with us.

Campbell is far more Kirk Ferentz/Bill Snyder than Mike Gundy. We are going to play boring football, get used to it.

Btw I love this philosophy and it’s what we need to do to compete.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

If it works it works, but did it actually work? What are we trying to do on offense, besides not put the defense in bad spots? Is that going to improve on 8-5?

What’s odd is to have that approach, but then pass on 4th and 1 from midfield with under 4 minutes in the half (following a pass on 3rd and 1). Also, that low percentage play on the pass out-bounds on the fg drive in the fourth. Actually, the sequence of calls on the last drive of the 4th left a lot to be desired imo, although desperation made it work.

Let’s be desperate more often. That’s how UNI generated all of their offense despite being outmatched at nearly every spot.

The teams in these disappointing close wins like UNI deserve credit for not making mistakes, but that’s likely a product of our offense.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
To anyone mad about the conservative nature of our offense.....that is what we are going to, and what you are going to get with Campbell. We want to play conservative offense, control the clock, and win with defense. It would have worked perfect today if not for the scoring play for UNI on the turnover. It allows us to stay in the game against Oklahoma, and allows UNI to stay in the game with us.

Campbell is far more Kirk Ferentz/Bill Snyder than Mike Gundy. We are going to play boring football, get used to it.

CMC is different than Snyder, Ferentz or Gundy in that they only play one way. CMC is a student of the game and can change pace as needed to keep the opposition off balance.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I always sympathize with people who lose their minds even in a victory. Life as an ISU fan must be torture for them. But I do enjoy the gameday threads, it adds to the experience for those of us who rarely get to experience games with others in Ames.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Except that's not what happened today or with any of our teams the past few years.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Random thoughts

• CMC is better at being over .500 after 3 seasons and 1 game than Rhoads was, so enjoy it.
  • The post Butler passing offense is going to be a work in progress. Purdy in times of need could just throw it deep to Butler last year and complete it about 50% of the time.
  • The run game looks to have a nice set of diverse backs, but we aint going to see the Montgomery physicality on display with any of em. DM was a man.
For anyone in "woe is me" mode about today, its ******* football and it doesn't even come easy for Alabama.

Bring on Bama.

Reactions: Omaha Cy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

I like conservative, but we’re verging on scoring incompetency than we are conservativeness, in some sense. Wanting to be conservative doesn’t excuse the unimaginative, poorly setup calls, although that approach to being conservative can facilitate poor execution.

Love this philosophy? Our running backs average 4.5 ypc, we only had 5 penalties, we out-gain the opponent by a ton, nearly a 75% complete percentage, and we only had one TO. Yet we only score 13 in regulation and nearly lose to UNI. That’s a needlessly tiny margin for error. I mean, I get our past makes people have a low bar, but come on.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Random thoughts

Well, Alabama is on its way to a 40+ pt win over an 8 win power conference team, so it does seem to be coming pretty easily for them.

As we saw that one good season for Iowa when they needed the two blocked FGs to beat UNI a good team an struggle against an early season FCS opponent. Not a good sign but not the end of the world.