Official Meltdown thread

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I'm as ****** as anyone else about the loss tonight, but damn...there's some real stupidity in this thread tonight.

D

DistrictCyclone

Yeah, when Yale is dropping the hammer on you for a good portion of the game, you've got problems.

This is all coaching.

The talent is there. Fred can't get them to play as a team, which isn't shocking considering his experience and their past.

Fortune 500 companies didn't build their business by hiring all their competitors rejects.

Even though the year is very young, I'd like to nominate this for the CyBer Award.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Does this team seam to have a low Basketball IQ? They just do flatout stupid things sometimes.

I don't know...I feel like there were a couple of moments tonight were our ball movement looked pretty good and crisp (read only a couple of moments, key phrase there), and then other times we go completely brain dead in the same damn game. Like I wrote in another post, tonight was one of those nights where I can't find one single player who played really well. KL and WC had some moments, but ME and GN were garbage, as was our bench. Everyone stunk tonight. It's hard to win road games, even against bad teams like Texas Tech when your whole team plays so badly.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, when Yale is dropping the hammer on you for a good portion of the game, you've got problems.

This is all coaching.

The talent is there. Fred can't get them to play as a team, which isn't shocking considering his experience and their past.

Fortune 500 companies didn't build their business by hiring all their competitors rejects.
The talent is questionable. We have some guys with athletic ability and some guys with some basketball skills, but we don't have basketball players. The BB IQ of this team is really lacking.

Ejim understands how to play. Niang does too but is short and slow. McGee plays hard and is a good shooter. Once you get past that ...

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think as punishment the team should be forced to stay another day in Lubbock.

Maybe the team got to Lubbock and realized they were already winners at life for not having to live in Lubbock.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Hold on now! I agree this was a horrible game but I don't think the Kansas game was a fluke at all. How is it a fluke if their best player has to go play his best game of his career and then bank in a three to bring it to overtime. Don't forget that it was at Kansas. But honestly we lost this game because a collection of things were horrible (enthusiasm, refs and shooting). But we all have to remember that we can't do anything about this game now and that it's best for the team and the fans to keep our heads up and to not hide in the corner and keep crying like babies because we lost to Texas Tech. If we do keep dwelling about this game all you doubters will be right because we'll get destroyed be KSU.

Fans can do whatever they want. Whether or not they choose to wallow in this will have no effect on the team's performance against KSU.

The Kansas game could very well have been a fluke. Apparently ISU hasn't played well since that game, and weren't there a number of poor performances in the OOC schedule, even though ISU did win those games? It really sounds like they don't play as a team very often, although they did against KU.

It sounds like this team simply isn't gelling like last year's did; that's the risk you take with so many transfers. Sometimes it works out just fine (last year), sometimes it doesn't (seems like this year). But there's nobody to truly rally around like Royce last year, and nobody like Scotty -- who, besides being an excellent 3-point shooter, I think served as the glue guy who helped keep everything together last year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'm most upset with Babb. Never thought I'd have to question his competitiveness or desire to win. Overall, just an embarrassment. Personally, I'm getting sick of this transfer experiment, sans Royce last year. Lucious, Clyburn, Booker, and now Babb all look disinterested. Give me some new blood who is willing to work for a chance.
I also thought Babb and Tyrus would play better in Texas. They did not. Looks like we miss RW after all. No leader. Just a balanced team.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Except with good wins to back them up. They can consider this a bump in the road. This is the biggest thing on our resume right now.

Very much this. When all you have on your resume is a bad loss and several other games that indicate that you have this kind of performance in you (even if you won due to those teams being exceptionally bad), its not a great place to be at all.

hoiball

Jan 13, 2013
Fans can do whatever they want. Whether or not they choose to wallow in this will have no effect on the team's performance against KSU.

The Kansas game could very well have been a fluke. Apparently ISU hasn't played well since that game, and weren't there a number of poor performances in the OOC schedule, even though ISU did win those games? It really sounds like they don't play as a team very often, although they did against KU.

It sounds like this team simply isn't gelling like last year's did; that's the risk you take with so many transfers. Sometimes it works out just fine (last year), sometimes it doesn't (seems like this year). But there's nobody to truly rally around like Royce last year, and nobody like Scotty -- who, besides being an excellent 3-point shooter, I think served as the glue guy who helped keep everything together last year.
You see the key thing you keep saying is it sounds like or apparently. If you watched the games (since you obviously don't) you would have seen the flashes of how good this team can be (certain points in the Texas game and the 18 point lead against wvu). Also how do the fans not have an effect on how the players play. If instead of coming into the game amped or ready to cheer their *** off. They decide to stay home or do something else or maybe they just decide to blend in with the chairs (Cough Cough Hawk fans at Carver). Hey maybe we should try what TT did tonight let only a couple hundred people in and sing a couple of lullabies to KSU and hope we can beat them while their asleep!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You see the key thing you keep saying is it sounds like or apparently. If you watched the games (since you obviously don't) you would have seen the flashes of how good this team can be (certain points in the Texas game and the 18 point lead against wvu). Also how do the fans not have an effect on how the players play. If instead of coming into the game amped or ready to cheer their *** off. They decide to stay home or do something else or maybe they just decide to blend in with the chairs (Cough Cough Hawk fans at Carver). Hey maybe we should try what TT did tonight let only a couple hundred people in and sing a couple of lullabies to KSU and hope we can beat them while their asleep!
When we play smart, we look really good. When we play dumb, we are below average. Where did our great passing go?

Reactions: kingcy

hoiball

Jan 13, 2013
When we play smart, we look really good. When we play dumb, we are below average. Where did our great passing go?
I've been asking myself the same question. All we can do now is pull ourselves back together. Belief in Fred and prove how good we can be.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Except with good wins to back them up. They can consider this a bump in the road. This is the biggest thing on our resume right now.

Yeah, this takes away the "no great wins, no bad losses...11-7 B12 record" theory out the window. I am not freaking out, bad things happen on the road sometimes. But this was a a really bad team, a Tech team that may not win more than one other game the rest of the year. Now I think you need to win out at home, sweep OU, and beat WVU on the road and beat Texas on the road. And then to seal it get to the B12 semifinal.

This is not the end of the year, but it definetly causes problems. Poor effort all around.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
We were pretty consistently throwing up the first semi-open look like less than 10 seconds into the shotclock.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

The players have talent. But from everything that's been said here, they have struggled to play as a team. That leads to poor performances (and there's been a number of those for ISU this year, even in winning efforts), and you see it at every single level.

2004 Olympic team had more talent than any other team in the world. They had lousy chemistry and took the bronze (appalling by American standards).

2012-13 Lakers. Nuff said.

You can see it with Iowa, too. At times, their ball movement is great and they have consistent success when they keep that up. But then they get to dribbling around a lot, with Marble playing too much isolation. And that's when the Hawks go into one of their scoring droughts. It's like clockwork.

As for the fans; the team's got to give them SOMETHING. I'd support the Hawkeyes through thick and thin, but expecting your fans to be amped after putting out an effort like this isn't fair to the fans.

It's one thing to lose valiantly. It's completely different to look disinterested. And I don't think I need to have seen the game to know that's how they looked tonight. That's pretty much the only way a team with as much individual talent as ISU has can lose to a team this bad.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
One Tech player hiot his first three siunce Dec.

Gray had a high in scoring

We lost the ball so many times that it was laughable.

We forced so many shots, we looked like our first day on the shooting range.

We cannot even blame the refs for bad calls.

We made their 2657 fans happy.

Help Support Us

Become a patron