*** Official IOWA STATE VS Oregon State Game(Day) Thread ***

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
Since I was actually able to watch this one, here’s my unsolicited takes on those who saw the floor:

Haliburton: You know what you’re getting from him. Elite PG. Capable 3P shooter. Can’t afford to have him off the floor.

Jacobson: Easily the hardest working player we have. Dustin Hogue like effort. Can have some good shooting streaks but not always consistent. Good rebounder due to effort.

Nixon: Another hustle player. Great leadership and hard nosed defender. A borderline offensive liability at times. Not a great shooter.

Young: The big strong guy we all know. Great at filling up the lane. Decent rebounder. Average offensive threat. Not a great ball handler.

Bolton: A bit of an unrefined talent, but with very high upside. Good shooter, but suffers from poor shot selection at times. Crazy athlete, but can get out of control.

Conditt: Elite shot blocker. Good on defense and an offensive option as well. As the tallest, longest person on the team, would like to see him get more rebounds. Seems to get out hustled often.

Jackson: Another unrefined talent. A capable shooter and ball handler, seems to have issues with confidence.

Griffin: Much improved from last year. Strong and athletic, with an improving shot. If he can develop his driving game, he will be a great offensive weapon.

I’m sure some of you will disagree, but those are my takes.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
We definitely had some mental lapses - both offensively and defensively & those were the times that OSU was able to either take or extend leads. There were moments, too, when you could see a lot to like about this team. More than our lapses in D or O, my frustration is more with the fact that OSU made soooo many tough shots (and I'm not talking about Tinkle here). How many made shots came after our defender was "all over the shooter" or the shooter made some acrobatic shot?

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
ok what constitutes “informed discussion?” Who is the arbitrator of deciding what defines it

Don't make it more confusing than it needs to be. If someone backs up their point with logical reasoning, it shouldn't be discredited. If someone wants to say the HC doesn't know what he's doing and makes terrible decisions without offering up anything of substance, it's trolling.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Traveling and couldn't watch or listen. Hoped to get some serious analysis. "Team sucks," "coach sucks." That's the kind of hard-hitting analysis I was looking for.
(FYI, I liked that they came back, on the road.)

• Agree
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I am surprised that Grill didn't get a couple of minutes after looking capable in the first game. I thought he could have come off the bench and hit a three or two. Also telling that Lewis. a junior, couldn't get off the bench, but Tre Jackson could.
never will!

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
My take is that this team has talent and will be much better as the season goes along.

Defense - need to work on team defense. We are lacking a wing player that can defense a tall shooter. It'll be a problem all season.

Offense - Haliburton needs to take over. He was passive in the first half and there wasn't anyone else that could consistently run the offense. He needs to be a star. The interior seems like they can be effective scorers, but they need to finish better than theyvddi tonight. Still am a big fan of the 2 PF lineup going forward

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
After watching it, we looked like a team with decent parts and pieces but not a lot of cohesion yet. Defensive rotations were poor and offense was very streaky, but at times very fast and very fluid.

I want to believe we will improve as the season goes on with chemistry and consistency. It looks like raw talent isn't the main issue.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
After watching it, we looked like a team with decent parts and pieces but not a lot of cohesion yet. Defensive rotations were poor and offense was very streaky, but at times very fast and very fluid.

I want to believe we will improve as the season goes on with chemistry and consistency. It looks like raw talent isn't the main issue.
We have a very young rotation this year so I’ll be most interested in seeing the development over the year. The team seems to have talent but needs some chemistry, especially on defense. This year might be a little rough but with good development we will have a solid foundation moving forward

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Didn't realize OSU returned all 5 starters and had an NBA guy return - considering we have many new pieces, only the second game of the season and a true road game I'm surprised anyone really thought we would win. Our learning curve is very steep right now and if we would have played this team after 7-8 games we probably win. Looking forward to see how this team develops.