***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
You triggered guys can dumb my posts in secrecy all you want, but answer a simple question. Why are people out when the news is frantically begging people to take shelter and they are reiterating how dangerous the situation is?

I'm sorry but there's no valid excuse for anybody unless you are Reed Timmer.
People still have lives to get things done and there are a lot of people who don't follow the news or daily weather besides knowing it's supposed to storm for the day. People were also probably on their way home at that time as well.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I know many people who never watch 1 second of any news. I know numerous people that had no idea storms were coming. These are not dumb people they are just in their own little world dealing with their stuff.

Another thing, satellite radio is huge and you don't get NWS warning interuptions when listening to that like you do FM/AM radio.
Same for streaming services, I use Pandora/Spotify more than anything. I was just getting on the road to head home when it was hitting Greenfield didn't know about it until I was home, granted I was on the east side of the state Tuesday.

cyspy

Jul 24, 2011
Yup. Quick glance at the gauge at 30 west of Tama shows it two feet below it's historic crest. Now that is a decent size valley so two feet is a crap load of water.

There is road work being done on highway 63 from just south of Tama all the way to highway 6,a stretch of about 15 miles. Locals can't go thru Chelsea as the road is now flooded over there too. Gonna be a mess there for some time.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I haven’t watched more than 2 minutes of news in close to 10 years. Got so tired of all the politics I quit watching.
I just quit the news on the local channels due to constant coverage of she who shall not be named. Weather Channel cued me in and I put on WOI as the least likely to interrupt a tornado with CC coverage.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Very good perspective, had not thought about that. I don't follow the Twitterverse and stuff so hadn't seen the hyperbole or how it was being portrayed. You are all absolutely right that these do help put things into perspective of where the extreme damage is, and unfortunately it's hard to visually capture both that and the tertiary damage at ground level.
Katrina was like this, except the opposite. What you saw from the sky paled in comparison to what things were like on the ground. Wards / entire neighborhoods were destroyed with water lines at the bases of roofs (~8 ft high). Even 18+ months after the fact, NO wasn’t even back to 50% of their pre hurricane population.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I just quit the news on the local channels due to constant coverage of she who shall not be named. Weather Channel cued me in and I put on WOI as the least likely to interrupt a tornado with CC coverage.
Oh boy. I understand the desire to avoid the constant CC coverage, but The Weather Channel is awful. I like to watch during blizzards and hurricanes, purely for the self aggrandizing, over-indulgence, but other than that, they suck.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Not sure if anyone has posted a link for donations for the Greenfield Tornado Relief Fund yet but here it is in case anyone wants to help.

Barn Town also kicking in a portion of some of their draft beer for the next 10 days.

IMG_7464.jpeg

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Not sure if anyone has posted a link for donations for the Greenfield Tornado Relief Fund yet but here it is in case anyone wants to help.

Barn Town also kicking in a portion of some of their draft beer for the next 10 days.

View attachment 129424
They did this for Perry (after the shooting) as well with rootbeer.

I called in and bought a couple packs and told them to give it to a cop and they actually said the Perry police chief is a regular.

Good people at Barntown.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Oh boy. I understand the desire to avoid the constant CC coverage, but The Weather Channel is awful. I like to watch during blizzards and hurricanes, purely for the self aggrandizing, over-indulgence, but other than that, they suck.
I have kids in three different states so I at least have a clue if damn Canadian forest fires are going to give one of them an asthma attack. One in NJ sent me an eye roll emoji when I told him to take his rescue inhaler to work, then sheepishly told me he needed to use it.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
GOUbFnpbQAAPaiS

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Tornado warnings popping up everywhere early this morning. This is just unreal at this point.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron