***Official 2023 Transfer Thread***

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Pretty sure the staff has been waiting on this one

Iowa State was a finalist in his initial recruitment.

Not saying we will get him but I’d expect TJ will be after him hard.

I dunno. TJ and the staff had nothing to do with the recruitment of Sallis out of high school. He committed to Gonzaga on March 26, 2021 and TJ was named coach here on March 18, 2021.
I'm not saying they won't go after him, but the only connection is location, and that Iowa St, with Steve Prohm, was in his final 8 schools.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
Those are stats like most freshman. Most dont make big difference as freshman on good teams
As others have said, 2 years at Gonzaga. I posted in the general mbb thread months ago that it's surprising how little Sallis plays. Expected to be the Suggs replacement out of high school. Obviously wasn't. Equally obvious, he's transferring to get playing time. But he hasn't proven he deserves any guarantee.

Reactions: Halincandenza

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
As others have said, 2 years at Gonzaga. I posted in the general mbb thread months ago that it's surprising how little Sallis plays. Expected to be the Suggs replacement out of high school. Obviously wasn't. Equally obvious, he's transferring to get playing time. But he hasn't proven he deserves any guarantee.

Read the write ups of Sallis. The reason he can't get time at Gonzaga is because his offensive game hasn't come around. He is however in everyone's view without question a tenacious defender.

Coach Few isn't winning playing defense. So yeah.........if I was that type of player then I'm looking for someplace that has a system that will take advantage of my skills.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I’d love Sallis. You’d essentially guarantee 2 elite defensive guards on the court at all times, you would just need to make sure your other two schollies go to guys who can hit at a good clip

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Agreed. I don't really think we have space for someone who's all potential right now.
Sallis made 60% of his 2 point shots and around 75% of his free throws over his 2 years at Gonzaga. His kryptonite is he only shot 25% from 3.

Since we have 3 spots open, why not focus on Sallis' strengths and not his weakness? I understand the analytics focus on 3 point shooting, but if a kid (especially a guard) hits over 50% on 2 point shots, that is significant. Sallis hit close to 60% both seasons!

IMO Sallis' floor is 15mpg bench player. I would take that every day!

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I’d love Sallis. You’d essentially guarantee 2 elite defensive guards on the court at all times, you would just need to make sure your other two schollies go to guys who can hit at a good clip

Also think of this. He wasn't up to snuff offensively for who.................Mark Few? That is a fairly high bar to reach. And what may not be enough for a coach like Few might be more than enough for a coach like TJ. Completely different styles. The one known commodity is his defense. And he did score at a good rate in HS.

And then there is this crap........thread after thread of used car salesmen coming of CF telling us unless everyone and their family gives to NIL......we can't afford the type of talent it will take to let TJ "do his magic".

Well..........the kid was 5* talent coming out of HS and good enough that a coach with a national championship under his belt thought enough to recruit. Him struggling on the offensive end in an offensive scheme just might make this 5* a bargain.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I'd take him in a heartbeat, slot him in at the 2 for 30-35 minutes a game, and hope his offense improves a little.

At the very least it doesn't and we still have an elite defensive team capable of getting another nice Ncaa tourney seed.

Try to find a shooter for instant offense off the bench and we might have something.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Sallis made 60% of his 2 point shots and around 75% of his free throws over his 2 years at Gonzaga. His kryptonite is he only shot 25% from 3.

Since we have 3 spots open, why not focus on Sallis' strengths and not his weakness? I understand the analytics focus on 3 point shooting, but if a kid (especially a guard) hits over 50% on 2 point shots, that is significant. Sallis hit close to 60% both seasons!

IMO Sallis' floor is 15mpg bench player. I would take that every day!
Not nessecarily wrong, but the situations arent the same here. Silas could score inside the arc because he had 5 teammates who played 10 minutes or more per game who shot above 35% from 3. And even though he stunk from 3 Drew Timmie took a ton of attention as well from defenses.

We had exactly 1 once Grill got injured, which was Gabe. Pitt figured that out and just dropped 3 guys in the paint most of the game. We cant be that easy to defend again next year

If we had 5 spots instead of 3 then Id be alright for it. We need 3 point shooting badly though. If we don't get it we're looking at yet another season of offensive droughts and random pants shittings where we make 0 shots for 10 straight minutes.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
People only want Sallis because at one time he was a big recruit. But if you even look back at his Senior year in HS he didn’t develop like some thought and dropped in the rankings and has looked pretty bad at Gonzaga. He isn’t very good.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I'd take him in a heartbeat, slot him in at the 2 for 30-35 minutes a game, and hope his offense improves a little.

At the very least it doesn't and we still have an elite defensive team capable of getting another nice Ncaa tourney seed.

Try to find a shooter for instant offense off the bench and we might have something.
IMO Miami showed that hitting 3's isn't necessary to scoring points. An offense where players can get dribble penetration and make a high % of those shots or get to the line can put points on the board.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Not nessecarily wrong, but the situations arent the same here. Silas could score inside the arc because he had 5 teammates who played 10 minutes or more per game who shot above 35% from 3. And even though he stunk from 3 Drew Timmie took a ton of attention as well from defenses.

We had exactly 1 once Grill got injured, which was Gabe. Pitt figured that out and just dropped 3 guys in the paint most of the game. We cant be that easy to defend again next year

If we had 5 spots instead of 3 then Id be alright for it. We need 3 point shooting badly though. If we don't get it we're looking at yet another season of offensive droughts and random pants shittings where we make 0 shots for 10 straight minutes.
I think Sallis is athletic enough to get his shot in the paint without taking a tough shot. Even if a team drops off. As much as I like Holmes and Kalscheur, they had a tough time getting an easy shot in traffic.

In the Pitt game we were bad from 3 shooting 2-21. But we also shot 12-39 from 2. The Pitt game wasn't unique, in the games ISU struggled on offense, our guards struggled making 2's.

Your argument is probably it's tough to make 2's when a team packs the paint. I'd argue a tall guard with a solid handle can get his shots, even in traffic.

Lastly, I expect Lipsey to be a better offensive player next year. Ideally, Lipsey will hit mid-30's plus from 3. But he can pull defenders to him if he can hit a 12-15 foot jumper or develop a go to shot (Monte Morris like floater) in the paint.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I dunno. TJ and the staff had nothing to do with the recruitment of Sallis out of high school. He committed to Gonzaga on March 26, 2021 and TJ was named coach here on March 18, 2021.
I'm not saying they won't go after him, but the only connection is location, and that Iowa St, with Steve Prohm, was in his final 8 schools.
Wahat I remember about Sallis' recruitment was same time as Hunter. Always felt like it would be an either or with both wanting to be the primary ball handler.

Help Support Us

Become a patron