Offensive Coordinator

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Scott Frost is not the reason Oregon has a good offense, can't believe he gets hype on here

I think that is understood, but we aren't going to be hiring Chip Kelly or Mark Helfrich as our OC so many see Frost as the next best thing.

A lot of people, myself included, have said that there is no guarantee that Frost could implement that system at ISU. But the thought of it is intriguing. Frost is an up and coming assistant coach working in an outstanding offensive system. He is probably going to get an OC job in the future because of this so I don't think it's just message board idiots pumping him up. He is also known as a good recruiter which really can't hurt at all for ISU.

Personally, I would prefer someone with playcalling experience, but it is a risk/reward proposition. Someone with play calling experience may not be the best fit or the best possible candidate in the future. An unproven position coach may have a way higher upside but struggle earlier on.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Scott Frost is not the reason Oregon has a good offense, can't believe he gets hype on here

I am not saying he is the reason for Oregon's great offense, but he could come here and teach us/implement some of their concepts in order to enhance the spread system we already have in place.

Hence why I like the idea of him and Messingham being Co coordinators, it brings together someone who knows what we already do and our personnel and someone with different spread concepts who can look at the situation as an outsider.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
i would steal gundy from bob stoops staff. oklahoma has turned out mike leach, eager eater mike magino and other coordinators. stoops also turned out mike gundy ,head coach of oklahoma state. we beat okie state,but okie state beat stanford last night. i would go for gayle or cayle gundy from oklahoma for an offensive coordinator. i do not know whether his first name is cayle or gayle. gundy has coached the qbs and has been head recruiting coordinator for years at oklahoma. i think he would be a tremendous asset for the cyclone football team. coaching qbs and recruting are very important for the growth of iowa state football...

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Frost isn't the reason Oregon is good on offense, but he is still apart of the system and has seen how its ran and knows it well. Maybe players who don't make the cut at Oregon would be interested in coming to the same system at ISU?

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
i would steal gundy from bob stoops staff. oklahoma has turned out mike leach, eager eater mike magino and other coordinators. stoops also turned out mike gundy ,head coach of oklahoma state. we beat okie state,but okie state beat stanford last night. i would go for gayle or cayle gundy from oklahoma for an offensive coordinator. i do not know whether his first name is cayle or gayle. gundy has coached the qbs and has been head recruiting coordinator for years at oklahoma. i think he would be a tremendous asset for the cyclone football team. coaching qbs and recruting are very important for the growth of iowa state football...

His name is Cale Gundy and since 2005 he has been the RBs coach at Oklahoma. Also the recruiting coordinator. I don't know if he has coached QBs at all at OU.

sdcyfan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 12, 2006
Rapid City, SD
Josh Heupel is the guy out of OU that we want. QB coach/Co-OC. Coached the likes of Jason White, Sam Bradford, and Landry Jones. Also did a great job with Paul Thompson. We all know what White, Bradford, and Jones have done, but Thompson might have been his best coaching job considering Thompson wasn't even going to play QB before the season started. Thompson went on to lead OU to 11-3 that year and ranks high in alot of season records for passing. Plus Josh played for Leach and Mangino while they were OC's at OU. I know that this is a long shot, but I'll keep hoping. I'm a little biased though.:wink:

royhobbs09

Apr 11, 2006
His name is Cale Gundy and since 2005 he has been the RBs coach at Oklahoma. Also the recruiting coordinator. I don't know if he has coached QBs at all at OU.

There has to be a reason that Stoops has passed over Gundy on multiple occasions for the likes of Norvell and Hueppel, amongst others. Maybe we could convince Norvell to make a return if he wants to shed the "co" label. If we want to pull a dinosaur out of obscruity, Hal Mumme himself is wasting away in DIII somewhere.

I'm still hoping for Franklin or the Mangino. Both have baggage, but I think CPR is the kind of coach who can manage his staff. IMO, they are the best realistic offensive minds on the board.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Josh Heupel is the guy out of OU that we want. QB coach/Co-OC. Coached the likes of Jason White, Sam Bradford, and Landry Jones. Also did a great job with Paul Thompson. We all know what White, Bradford, and Jones have done, but Thompson might have been his best coaching job considering Thompson wasn't even going to play QB before the season started. Thompson went on to lead OU to 11-3 that year and ranks high in alot of season records for passing. Plus Josh played for Leach and Mangino while they were OC's at OU. I know that this is a long shot, but I'll keep hoping. I'm a little biased though.:wink:

I'm guessing Heupel make a lot more as Co-OC at OU than he would as full OC at ISU.
We are only going to get a current OC from a lower level school, a position coach from a BCS school, or an OC who was on a staff that was recently let go.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm guessing Heupel make a lot more as Co-OC at OU than he would as full OC at ISU.
We are only going to get a current OC from a lower level school, a position coach from a BCS school, or an OC who was on a staff that was recently let go.

I don't think this is potentially correct. We have upped our pay to be competitive (our assistants are the highest paid in the state and comparable to most of the big xii), and with CPR's 10 year contract he can show a good amount of security. I'm not saying that we can pull an OC from Oklahoma, but there is a chance to get one from a medium level BCS school imo.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I think the theory goes something like this. They recognize his name, thus he must be qualified.

Did I miss something? Did someone say that Frost would be no doubt the best coordinator available?

I get it, he went to Nebraska so some people don't like him because of that.

Who's to say that he is altogether unqualified?

Position coaches get promoted to coordinator every year. I think it would probably be too risky to hand over the reigns to him, but who knows. In the end, CPR will make the decision that is best for ISU and for CPR, considering his success at ISU hinges on keeping this train running.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
There has to be a reason that Stoops has passed over Gundy on multiple occasions for the likes of Norvell and Hueppel, amongst others. Maybe we could convince Norvell to make a return if he wants to shed the "co" label. If we want to pull a dinosaur out of obscruity, Hal Mumme himself is wasting away in DIII somewhere.

I'm still hoping for Franklin or the Mangino. Both have baggage, but I think CPR is the kind of coach who can manage his staff. IMO, they are the best realistic offensive minds on the board.

Interesting website: Hal Mumme

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Its pretty funny if people just don't like him because hes from Nebraska. At least they aren't in the Big12 anymore so its not as bad if he does choose to bolt which isn't the easiest to do if hes under contract anyways. But we can't have all of our assistants graduate from ISU.. we need to expand a little and maybe settle for guys who attended different schools.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The thought of Jarvis West playing the roll of De'Anthony Thomas in an Oregon style run first spread gets me all sorts of excited!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron