Offensive Coordinator

cymaniac17

Jan 25, 2010
Parts Unknown
Why would Messingham be "trained" by Herman? He was offensive coordinator for multiple years at different schools and I'm pretty sure he's salty enough to think for himself rather than blindly follow Herman.

I know he was a OC before. What i meant by "trained" is that he has been a position coach underneath Herman the last 3 years and i would assume that some of Hermans philosophies and play calling rubbed off on Mess during that time, Which is not good IMHO. I dont want the same crap offense we have had the last 3 years with just a different guy calling the same stupid plays. Hermans "Spread" was a joke and ISU can do better. If mess tweaks it a little (or alot) then im ok with it, But it needs to change at least somewhat to give ISU a better chance to win.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I trust CPR like everyone else, but if mess is the new OC im very worried. The WR's did improve this year but they were still average at best and he is their coach. Also CPR hiring from within means he wants to keep the EXACT same offense, not just a spread offense. And im sorry but ISU's offense the last 3 years has been pure crap... I want the spread as well but id like to see a different variation of it then what we have now and i doubt that will happen if the new OC really is Mess. Not to mention Mess has basically been trained by Tom Herman so why would anyone think his play calling will be any better? Doesnt seem like a step forward IMO. Prove me wrong

Messingham is also the Special Teams Coach. How have they done while Messingham has been coaching them??

Messingham has done a great job at whatever he has been asked to do. If CPR wants to give him the job of OC, so be it.

GM4ISU

Mar 17, 2006
Lets not just be satisfied , If we are goibng to step up to the next level, go get a experienced OC , need to upgrade not stay neutual

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Everything Messingham has been a part of has improved.

BTW, our offensive system in and of itself has never been the problem. Herman's erratic play calling has sometimes kept us from establishing an identity or flow within a game. It's a not a problem with the playbook or the scheme, but in the implementation. And there were also games where Herman really called a good game, and our offense looked formidable.

Messingham might not be our first choice as fans, but then again, neither was Rhoads.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Interesting thing Dan Patrick just said, obviously not talking about the ISU situation, but it applies...

"Is stability just another word for mediocre?"

If Rhoads wants Messingham, thats fine but I hope we went through a process to find the absolute best guy and not just the easy and stable hire...

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Interesting thing Dan Patrick just said, obviously not talking about the ISU situation, but it applies...

If Rhoads wants Messingham, thats fine but I hope we went through a process to find the absolute best guy and not just the easy and stable hire...

Let's be honest, at this point, mediocre is a step up for ISU. Getting the clones to be a consistently above .500 program would be a major step. I would love to be in a position like Iowa, where they are pretty much guaranteed at 7 win season every year, and really, the KF method is a good model to look at.

Consistency is huge to a small program like ours. Consistent system. Consistent message. Consistent plan. Consistent goals.

If you have a recruiting class go through their entire tenure at ISU with that kind of consistency, by the time they are seniors, they're going to know that system like the backs of their hands. That can help overcome talent gaps. I think that's what CPR is going for.

Last edited:

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
cybsball is understandably disturbed, because if this hire doesn't work out, Rhoads won't end up in florida where he wants him. :(

Reactions: Al_4_State

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
The thing is you never know. Seems like all great hires we get end up being bad (Chizik, Sanderson). Every average hire we have (Rhoads) ends up being good. Just have to sit back and wait. I am sure CRP did his homework. The thing that is scary for me is the Dan Mac situation. Mac always hired within the staff. It ended up costing him job because the offensive coord. was so bad and he stuck with him to long.

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Many times, the answer to DP's question is yes.

I can understand the desire for stability in the case where something is successful and rolling along. But ISU's offense has been mediocre to bad for three years. ISU needs a step change increase in offensive output. If "stability" is more of the same, then that is not what ISU needs.

Another fallacy I see in the discussion here is that bringing in a new person will disrupt program continuity. Good coaches can easily adapt to an existing system. From what I've read, Todd Monken did not have experience with Okie State's current system, but he learned OSU's offense and OSU didn't miss a beat this season. Also, I've read that one of Monken's strengths is player development and adapting to the strength of his players. ISU desperately needs this type of attitude on the offensive side of the ball.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Many times, the answer to DP's question is yes.

I can understand the desire for stability in the case where something is successful and rolling along. But ISU's offense has been mediocre to bad for three years. ISU needs a step change increase in offensive output. If "stability" is more of the same, then that is not what ISU needs.

Another fallacy I see in the discussion here is that bringing in a new person will disrupt program continuity. Good coaches can easily adapt to an existing system. From what I've read, Todd Monken did not have experience with Okie State's current system, but he learned OSU's offense and OSU didn't miss a beat this season. Also, I've read that one of Monken's strengths is player development and adapting to the strength of his players. ISU desperately needs this type of attitude on the offensive side of the ball.

Monken is a play caller. That's it.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Mark my words, when Herman gets the talent of Ohio State, his offenses will score and often.

Umm, I have already said several times that Herman is not bad enough to get in the way of Urban and Ohio State's 5-star athletes. I guess I should of requested you to mark those posts.

If Herman ever get promoted to being the real OC at OSU, his offense should do fine. His weakness is that relies on superior talent beating inferior talent- little deception or schemes leading to easy plays. Should not be an issue at OSU.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The thing is you never know. Seems like all great hires we get end up being bad (Chizik, Sanderson). Every average hire we have (Rhoads) ends up being good. Just have to sit back and wait. I am sure CRP did his homework. The thing that is scary for me is the Dan Mac situation. Mac always hired within the staff. It ended up costing him job because the offensive coord. was so bad and he stuck with him to long.

:confused::confused: I don't recall Dan Mac always hiring within the staff at all. Mac hired Barney Cotton who was the OC at Nebraska. I know that Mac hired Brickey after Loney left but that was back in 2002-2003. And Cotton was hired after that and was the Offensive Coordinator up until Dan Mac resigned.

So if Mac lost his job because of Cotton then it wasn't because Mac hired from within the ranks. Cotton came from Nebraska.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
If Rhoads decided Herman should not have coached in the Pinstripe Bowl, do you all think Messingham would have been calling the plays?

Did Coach feel that he needed Herman because he didn't want to take a team to a bowl game without the OC? I bet he decided otherwise next time.....

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Umm, I have already said several times that Herman is not bad enough to get in the way of Urban and Ohio State's 5-star athletes. I guess I should of requested you to mark those posts.

If Herman ever get promoted to being the real OC at OSU, his offense should do fine. His weakness is that relies on superior talent beating inferior talent- little deception or schemes leading to easy plays. Should not be an issue at OSU.

Great point, basically anyone attached to Urban Meyer is going to look good when it comes to offense. He's one of the biggest innovators of the spread offense, even if Herman never gets promoted to the OC its still a great learning situation for him, and a great resume move.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron