Offensive Coordinator

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Tom Herman will do well with the talent level at tOSU. Having your man consistently beat their man makes everything easier, fundamentals can take a back seat. However at ISU, we need to teach fundamentals, we need a guy who can teach them and that guy needs to be able to install a game plan to fit his personel. Wally is a mastermind at this.

cymaniac17

Jan 25, 2010
Parts Unknown
The thought of Jarvis West playing the roll of De'Anthony Thomas in an Oregon style run first spread gets me all sorts of excited!

SJ as LaMichael James, White as Kenjon "The Burner" Barner and west as Thomas... None of them are as fast or as talented as the oregon guys but they are all similar type of players IMO. I could see it.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
SJ as LaMichael James, White as Kenjon "The Burner" Barner and west as Thomas... None of them are as fast or as talented as the oregon guys but they are all similar type of players IMO. I could see it.

Hopefully our new OC can find ways to get these guys the ball (in space)

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
So what happened to ISU declaring Tony Franklin the new OC right after the bowl games? I would think that if Franklin was indeed a done deal that both sides would want to get it over with as soon as possible so they can move on with recruiting.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
So what happened to ISU declaring Tony Franklin the new OC right after the bowl games? I would think that if Franklin was indeed a done deal that both sides would want to get it over with as soon as possible so they can move on with recruiting.

IMO the OC has already been named internally for recruiting purposes, they are just waiting for a good time to break it.

cymaniac17

Jan 25, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hopefully our new OC can find ways to get these guys the ball (in space)

Exactly. All 3 are fast players that could do some damage in the open field yet none of them had alot of oppurtunities this year to do that. They tried a ton of screens with west late in the season, but it seemed like the defense knew it was coming 90% of the time.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
A QB with the arm to connect on passes down the field would help open up the rest of the offense.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I dont agree. If it is a done deal it isnt for recruiting. If it is for recruiting than why havent they told recruits? If they are telling them, why havent we heard? Recruits are not very good at keeping things quite. Im not saying he isnt the guy, but it should make people less sure that they havent made a hire.

C

CyBer

No one has been hired yet, but probably someone is close to being hired.

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
Yes I am. Josh is a great QB coach, but i highly doubt we could ever lure him away from OU.

To be honest, I was initially dismissive of the potential for Josh Heupel to be a candidate for the OC position. He is tied pretty tight to OU. But, the more I thought about it, the more I concluded that that may not necessarily be the case. One thing that is apparent is that at some point Josh Heupel wants to be a head coach. (Similar to CPR). With that in mind, I think that it is likely that within the next 2 - 3 years, Josh Heupel is likely to leave OU. He basically needs to establish his own reputation (as a coach). I would sort of think that he would go to a "non" Big 12 football program. But, maybe not.

What I do know, is that Josh Heupel is one of the best QB coaches in the county. He has served time under some of the best offensive minds in college football. Although, I consider it unlikely that Iowa State would be able to "hire away" Josh Heupel, I would personally consider Josh Heupel to be a "grand-slam" homerun hire.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Exactly. All 3 are fast players that could do some damage in the open field yet none of them had alot of oppurtunities this year to do that. They tried a ton of screens with west late in the season, but it seemed like the defense knew it was coming 90% of the time.

Correct.

Another problem: j west hasn't been a threat down the field. Ask your inner D cordinator-- how would you cover him? ...up close to the LOS.

We need a deep threat badly. Our offense would be taken to another level.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
To be honest, I was initially dismissive of the potential for Josh Heupel to be a candidate for the OC position. He is tied pretty tight to OU. But, the more I thought about it, the more I concluded that that may not necessarily be the case. One thing that is apparent is that at some point Josh Heupel wants to be a head coach. (Similar to CPR). With that in mind, I think that it is likely that within the next 2 - 3 years, Josh Heupel is likely to leave OU. He basically needs to establish his own reputation (as a coach). I would sort of think that he would go to a "non" Big 12 football program. But, maybe not.

What I do know, is that Josh Heupel is one of the best QB coaches in the county. He has served time under some of the best offensive minds in college football. Although, I consider it unlikely that Iowa State would be able to "hire away" Josh Heupel, I would personally consider Josh Heupel to be a "grand-slam" homerun hire.

:skeptical: Josh Heupel. Former quarterback for OU. Current offensive coordinator at OU, one of the best programs in the country. He has a 1000 times better chance at getting an head coaching job at OU than at ISU. If you think that Heupel would even consider leaving OU for ISU, you are floating around in some kind of fairy tale fantasy land.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
:skeptical: Josh Heupel. Former quarterback for OU. Current offensive coordinator at OU, one of the best programs in the country. He has a 1000 times better chance at getting an head coaching job at OU than at ISU. If you think that Heupel would even consider leaving OU for ISU, you are floating around in some kind of fairy tale fantasy land.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009

If it is a totally absurd thought, explain to me then why (two years ago) Josh Heupel interviewed for the OC positions at Minnesota and Louisiana Tech.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
If it is a totally absurd thought, explain to me then why (two years ago) Josh Heupel interviewed for the OC positions at Minnesota and Louisiana Tech.

Because he was just a position coach at the time. That would have been a step up in the coaching ranks.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

IIRC that was before he was promoted to OC at OU. That was back when he was just QB coach.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron