New turf going down

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I was talking to a buddy tonight and his company was contracted to work on this project. I haven't read the whole thread, so SIAP, but this turf is pretty interesting. Grown in sand, and doesn't require much water, etc. I guess his company had a meeting before they started talking about everyone being on their best behavior (especially the Hawk fans). Shortly after they finished, no sooner had they received compliments from the head company, one of his guys posted a picture on one of the Hawk message boards (and probably social media) of the new turf and him wearing his Hawk shirt. He was fired.

They cut the sod off the Hort farm with a lazer guided cutter so every roll was the same depth. I saw it being laid and it was beautiful. I walked on it a couple days ago and it was awesome.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
They cut the sod off the Hort farm with a lazer guided cutter so every roll was the same depth. I saw it being laid and it was beautiful. I walked on it a couple days ago and it was awesome.
Yeah, he showed me some pictures. I don't know much about sod, but I guess it's only a year old, but looks fantastic. He also said that since it grows in sand, the roots have to grow deeper to find moisture making the sod that much stronger. Pretty interesting stuff (as far as sod talk goes).

GrayerClone

Feb 11, 2010
Central Iowa
wtf are you talking about about? What am I making up? Watch the fking replay of the ISU-Drake game. I have attended ISU games way back starting with their old artificial field.

Try to separate your devotion to our agronomy dept. --from reality.
~ I love ISU's agronomy dept......just not w/ Jack Trice
Turf grass is under horticulture department not agronomy

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I was talking to a buddy tonight and his company was contracted to work on this project. I haven't read the whole thread, so SIAP, but this turf is pretty interesting. Grown in sand, and doesn't require much water, etc. I guess his company had a meeting before they started talking about everyone being on their best behavior (especially the Hawk fans). Shortly after they finished, no sooner had they received compliments from the head company, one of his guys posted a picture on one of the Hawk message boards (and probably social media) of the new turf and him wearing his Hawk shirt. He was fired.
Iowa Sports Turf, they did the newly built stadium for the MLB at Field of Dreams. Legit.

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
Yeah I knew that. Their old Armstrong Field was horrible, pretty sure we'd have a guy bust an ankle every time we played it from all the pits and unevenness. With all the $$$$ Linn-Mar has it's pretty inexcusable that they've sucked in football so bad for so long.
agree on all points. No reason why Linn Mar shouldn't be a power in FB.

~ 1 year or two prior to the new stadium completion, Marion was saturated w/ flooding (Linn Mar's Armstrong Field was in a flood zone).

~ a couple kids were hanging out after school in the old bleachers @ Armstrong Field ~ They had to be rescued lol Armstrong Field 2009

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kinch

trueclone2

May 18, 2007
Ames
Pretty cool. Long term, I’m kinda in the field turf camp. Use to be very in favor of natural turf fields, but the newer artificial turf fields are pretty awesome
My son and many other young men that played recently on that, would NOT agree. The ones I know hated playing on artificial. Always preferred grass.
Early games the turf was super hot on feet. Hated being covered with the rubber pellets. And more...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Of course turf makes sense for high school fields. They have practices and competitions for multiple levels of football, boys soccer, and girls soccer, plus marching band and likely even P.E. classes as well.

Compared to a college field, with only 10-15 uses per year.
Don't forget lacrosse - well up here in Minnesota, anyway. A couple of high schools near me also play softball on their field turf fields.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I'll trust a guy who had been working with sports turf for decades over someone on an online message board. That's just me though.
Have you ever been on grass that doesn’t get torn up when it’s wet? Do you remember the Drake game a few years back?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Have you ever been on grass that doesn’t get torn up when it’s wet? Do you remember the Drake game a few years back?

Part of the reason that field was in such bad shape was because the playing surface had hit it's shelf life and needed to be replaced. The turf crew talked about it.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Part of the reason that field was in such bad shape was because the playing surface had hit it's shelf life and needed to be replaced. The turf crew talked about it.

The Drake game was not the first slogfest of that season. The turf was already beat up going into the Drake game.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
The Drake game was not the first slogfest of that season. The turf was already beat up going into the Drake game.
Good point, which tells us weather and traffic will beat up real grass.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Good point, which tells us weather and traffic will beat up real grass.
When the field was many years past expiration. It was way too old too have those bad of conditions all fall. How much rain did we get that season on game days alone?

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I was literally on the field for that game. I couldn't take a step without water seeping up. Weird weather games happen, it's all part of football. Like others have said, the field was past the time it needed for it to be replaced (last replaced back in 2008). Pro teams typically lay new sod every year/2 years (sometimes twice a season). It should be in solid condition no matter what the weather is going forward for the next several years. Quit your crying. Plastic fields suck.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron