New turf going down

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
But the same field was fine for three more years.
Yes, it was fine under normal circumstances. What makes a field beyond its expiration date is the inability to perfom under the worst of conditions. So for normal dry conditions or moderately wet conditions it can perform but isn't up to the task of performing under extraordinarily poor conditions. Improvement of the subbase was far overdue as well. The subbase becomes less and less effective as organics permeate the subbase over years of growing. Its ability to drain extraordinary amount of rain becomes impacted.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's a highly managed turf field that is probably being spoon fed fertilizer on a weekly basis by a team of people so little goes to waste. I don't think there is a lot to worry about here.

That dude must do a lot yoga with that stretch.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I put this in the Improvements thread but it really belongs here. Allianz Field (MLS) in St. Paul is getting the hybrid stitched field. An Iowa company is doing the work for them. Part of their reasoning is because it helps the field last and perform during the cold weather late (and early) in the MLS season.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I put this in the Improvements thread but it really belongs here. Allianz Field (MLS) in St. Paul is getting the hybrid stitched field. An Iowa company is doing the work for them. Part of their reasoning is because it helps the field last and perform during the cold weather late (and early) in the MLS season.

The hybrid stitched turf has been going in on a lot of big European football stadiums. I think it's an Iowa turf company that's partnering with a company in the UK that has the actual stitching technology. Lots of benefits.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
  • Winner
Reactions: nfrine and NWICY