New Mississippi State Flag

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
And before I say anything else, we are not here to debate the politics of the flag.

We are only here to talk about vexillology -- the study of the aesthetics and symbolism of flags.

Anyways, here is what the state's commission is recommending to the voters for this November --

1599581147309.png

That verges too close to the "state seal on a blue background" claptrap that dominates states flags out there.

I think that is underwhelming compared to some of the other concepts out there, like these referencing the Mississippi River --

1599581175326.png

1599581233122.png

Anybody else have any thoughts?

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Mississippi's flag, I live in Iowa, they can have what they prefer.

Obviously outside of racist or other stuff down those lines.

• Agree
Reactions: Lineup

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
All three are actually alright with me, none are terrible or super boring. The stars changing to a bird would be pretty radical for a state flag, that would be unique. That said, that flag feels pretty busy with graphics. The middle one is a little weird to me due to the look of the state outline being unfinished. I think it may have been better off finishing that design, then moving the seal over to be centered right of that.
is it me or do those proportions seems a bit odd?
I think it's because people would expect (like with many flags) it's split into thirds, however it appears the one they chose has half in the middle and two quarters surrounding it. Not sure how (un)common that is.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
is it me or do those proportions seems a bit odd?

The images are probably a little off the standard 10:19 width:length ratio.

I do not see any indications they are going to have a special shape, though.

Only Ohio has a state flag that deviates from the ratio established by the stars and stripes.

1599582043006.png

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I like the first one. I like the clean nature of it with the straight lines. Not a fan of the other two. The middle I don’t like the partial outline of the state. The third I don’t like the more complicated graphic of the stars turning into a bird.

Again, the first, I like the clean straight lines and more simple design.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I liked the mosquito flag that was accidentally included with the finalists.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Of the 3, I prefer the first one. The 2nd one looks more like a Louisiana flag since the outline forms the L and that is more recognizable to me than the Mississippi side of the border. I like the top half of the 3rd one the best but the bottom makes it look like a campaign sign.

• Agree
Reactions: CNECloneFan

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Not a fan of the 2nd one. Seems odd to have just a partial outline of your state, but include some of another state.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I guess my vote would be the first one.

The second one doesn't look terrible, but I don't think I'd want 1/4 of Nebraska or Illinois on the Iowa flag.

The third one doesn't look very timeless like most flags.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I guess my vote would be the first one.

The second one doesn't look terrible, but I don't think I'd want 1/4 of Nebraska or Illinois on the Iowa flag.

The third one doesn't look very timeless like most flags.
Am I the only one who sees zero of Louisiana on the 2nd one? That is clearly Mississippi to me. Aside from the more political aspects of what had to be included the first one is just to similar to most other flags to me. I wouldn't be jumping to change it by any means, but I think there are better options.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
And before I say anything else, we are not here to debate the politics of the flag.

We are only here to talk about vexillology -- the study of the aesthetics and symbolism of flags.

Anyways, here is what the state's commission is recommending to the voters for this November --

View attachment 75194

That verges too close to the "state seal on a blue background" claptrap that dominates states flags out there.

I think that is underwhelming compared to some of the other concepts out there, like these referencing the Mississippi River --

View attachment 75195

View attachment 75196

Anybody else have any thoughts?
2 and especially 3 look very amateur in my unprofessional opinion, 1 looks the best.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Of the five finalists (two of which were represented here - the third wasn’t even an option. The option they selected, the first, was definitely my favorite. That being said, as long as their state flag isn’t a poorly veiled excuse to keep using the Rebel flag - whatever.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron