Montgomery to Rams?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Rams would do a lot better if they had a serviceable run game and Monty provides that. (They also could use a WR with speed to take the top off the defense too).
He averages 3.9ypc and is usually one of the lowest in ypc in the league. He's a plodder, I don't know how going to one of the worst offenses in the league helps him.

• Disagree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
A couple thoughts.

Who the hell is gonna pass block if David is gone?

Would love to see David land on a better team.

My cowboys seem to have destroyed the Bears' head office hopes and dreams and they're kicking the can on this season and likely the next few.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
He averages 3.9ypc and is usually one of the lowest in ypc in the league. He's a plodder, I don't know how going to one of the worst offenses in the league helps him.

I mentioned it would help the rams (among another need they have) and not him but for him, going to the rams would be going to an offense that has more of a passing threat than the bears so he’s not the focus of the defense. The rams still have Krupp and to a lesser extent higbee. Defenses are still going to focus on kupp. Bears have little to no passing threat to take a defenses focus off the run game.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
He's really slow by NFL standards. I'm a Bears fan and have watched him for 4 years, it's not all on his line. He is what he is. He was my favorite ISU player when he was here but going to some team like the Rams won't make any difference at all for him.
Not but the Ravens, Cowboys, Titans he would make hay.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I mentioned it would help the rams (among another need they have) and not him but for him, going to the rams would be going to an offense that has more of a passing threat than the bears so he’s not the focus of the defense. The rams still have Krupp and to a lesser extent higbee. Defenses are still going to focus on kupp. Bears have little to no passing threat to take a defenses focus off the run game.

And let's not pretend that the bears have 1/10th of the offensive talent the Rams have. Part of it is they had an old roster last year anyways, and part of it is a super bowl hangover, but the potential at LA is worlds different than Chicago.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
He's really slow by NFL standards. I'm a Bears fan and have watched him for 4 years, it's not all on his line. He is what he is. He was my favorite ISU player when he was here but going to some team like the Rams won't make any difference at all for him.
Honestly don't think it's speed as much as running style. Montgomery dances too much instead of getting what it is there. He's great at pushing a pile and getting some extra yards after contact, but sometimes he just needs to pick a hole and go like Herbert. And Herbert has better speed. Instead he jump cuts three times and the (limited) holes are closing.

Reactions: Jer

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Fields is alot more threat as a runner though than Stafford and Stafford is quickly going downhill as a passer. I just don't see it as a good fit for him. Now, put him on Buffalo and it's a different story.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
It sounds like the Bears coaching staff likes Montgomery. He's a culture guy in the NFL too

But....his production has been overshadowed and the Bears are in full rebuild.

If he goes he'd look damn good in a Rams uniform. I've always thought he would be a great Cowboy if they kicked Zeke out and brought in Monty on a cheaper deal.

I think the Zeke thing is just a matter of time. Pollard has been more than good enough to justify getting rid of him when the money makes sense. A guy like Montgomery would be a good 1-2 punch with Pollard.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Fields is alot more threat as a runner though than Stafford and Stafford is quickly going downhill as a passer. I just don't see it as a good fit for him. Now, put him on Buffalo and it's a different story.

Singletary was running wild and then they just shut him down. Not sure if it was an injury or an offensive philosophy issue over there.

Monty would look good on the Bills.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

I agree but with fields and David, a defense can load the box and not worry about the pass threat. With the rams (and potentially Montgomery), the defenses can’t load the box as kupp is a huge threat and can beat teams on his own. Plus you have higbee which is more of a threat that LBs would have to worry about. It pulls the defense’s attention away from just 3 yds from the line of scrimmage.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah, count me in the camp that hopes this trade doesn't happen and David can keep trying to show out as much as he can in Chicago until he hits the open market this offseason. The Rams blew their load last year, there isn't much left from that team that isn't washed up or injured.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Everybody’s horror reaction that Tyrese Haliburton would be wasted on the Kings was unfounded and they should’ve had that feeling for a Cyclone star player going to the Chicago Bears offense.

Tyrese was a borderline all star instantly on first bad team, now playing like clear all star on second below average team. Meanwhile Montgomery is on a team for bulk of his career that hasn’t had a serviceable passing offense since the 1980s.