Metcalf interview on Flowrestling

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
metcalf got beat by a better wrestler-metcalf can go cry with the rest of the featherbutt babies!

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I have to applaud Kirk Ferentz because every time after we beat him he has always been a gentleman about it and he's given credit to us.

Yes, Kirk does do that when he loses to ISU. But then again, he has a lot of experience being in that situation.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Here's the deal; Brent Metcalf is dominant, and all wrestling fans can see his brilliance. If you are an Iowa fan, you absolutely love the guy. If you are not an Iowa fan, first of all, you hate all things Iowa wrestling out of spite, and second, re-read the first thing.

The fact is, every single team in the nation and their fanbase would take Brent Metcalf as their 149 pounder. If you say you wouldn't, we'll have to disagree.

Wow, what a douchie post. Can't expect anything else though.

Reactions: cyclonekj

rooster

Apr 11, 2006
Metcalf beat him earlier this season. 19-3. Duh.

So he beat Metcalf twice when it mattered and lost when it didnt? Duh.

They are obviously close in terms of talent and on that alone I would take Metcalf due to his ability to score bonus points. But Caldwell seems like someone who would represent his university better, so he would probably be the easier choice to support.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Yeah, I'm 100% certain ISU fans would HATE it if their wrestlers showed the same type of confidence that Iowa wrestlers do.

I'm sorry, but the mentality that "the other team was just better" is for losers. If you plan on being a winner, you don't come out and say, "yeah, he was just better." That's stupid.

If it makes you feel better about your sports teams by saying, "Yeah, we're classy because our coaches and players say things like 'the other team was better'", then so be it. I, for one, would not have been in the least bit pleased if Metcalf would have come out and said, "yeah, even though I beat him by technical fall earlier this year, he is much better than me now."

This is one of the MANY reasons hawk fans suck... The Cyclone team and coaches are classy... just because they say the right things during an interview doesn't mean they don't want to get better and think they could have beat someone.. All Cyclones want to win but we usually try to lose with class. I know that Hawkeyes don't understand that because they are dumb. Why are all hawks as dumb as you or this Metcalf kid?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
So he beat Metcalf twice when it mattered and lost when it didnt? Duh.

They are obviously close in terms of talent and on that alone I would take Metcalf due to his ability to score bonus points. But Caldwell seems like someone who would represent his university better, so he would probably be the easier choice to support.
Caldwell would represent his university better? I guess this goes back to the whole "Caldwell did nothing wrong, but Mecalf is an *** for pushing him mid-summersault" argument?

This is one of the MANY reasons hawk fans suck... The Cyclone team and coaches are classy... just because they say the right things during an interview doesn't mean they don't want to get better and think they could have beat someone.. All Cyclones want to win but we usually try to lose with class. I know that Hawkeyes don't understand that because they are dumb. Why are all hawks as dumb as you or this Metcalf kid?
Right, you have no argument, so you call me, and all Iowa athletes dumb.

I fail to see how Metcalf's comments were classless. He said he still thinks he's the better wrestler, but he just didn't come prepared. I'd say he has the record and hardware to back that up. If Caldwell was so great, why didn't he win the title last year?

Quit kidding yourself. If Cael had lost any match in college, I doubt he would have said, "Oh well, I'm just not as good as him." You better bet he'd say "Well, I still think I'm the best."

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
No SH. Cael would say that he was the better wrestler today and I have to give him credit. He beat me

That is totally different.

Metcalf is a punk. But he is a good wrestler and I would take him in a heartbeat

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
No SH. Cael would say that he was the better wrestler today and I have to give him credit. He beat me

That is totally different.

Metcalf is a punk. But he is a good wrestler and I would take him in a heartbeat

At least you're honest.

Again, I see nothing wrong with what he said. Shows some fire. I can guarantee 100% that any wrestling fan in the country would love to have the fire that he does.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
One question. I was reminded of a certain "push" by Cyler at the end of his match against a UT-Chattanooga wrestler. Pretty much, he shoved the guy off the mat. I remember reading posts like, "Oh man, I wish we could see that sort of fire from all of our wrestlers!"

So, big question is. Isn't he the brother of Cael? And shouldn't big bro have made him publicly apologize?

ISU2007

Feb 12, 2007
North Liberty, IA
metcalf2.jpg

metcalf.jpg

Last edited:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I fail to see how this guy is pumped to the level he is. He is only the second best wrestler in his weight class. Period.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I love how he got his butt whipped, but had the energy to chase this guy and flip him over.... what a pansy.

enjoy your lifetime of being SECOND>

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Here's the deal; Brent Metcalf is dominant, and all wrestling fans can see his brilliance. If you are an Iowa fan, you absolutely love the guy. If you are not an Iowa fan, first of all, you hate all things Iowa wrestling out of spite, and second, re-read the first thing.
FALSE. plenty of iowa fans dont agree with what he did.
This should put the Caldwell/Metclalf Flip Issue to bed... - Illinois Matmen Forums
check it out, most people on there are Iowa fans to a degree, usually 2nd behind U of Illinois.

I was a big metcalf fan, as far as wrestlers who dont go to ISU but that I had to be a fan of because they are just so fun to watch. I am no longer. Not because of what he did, but because he showed no remorse. I have done similar things in the past, but the instant the deed was done I thought "Oh ****!" I messed up and I was deeply sorry for it.

Caldwell would represent his university better? I guess this goes back to the whole "Caldwell did nothing wrong, but Mecalf is an *** for pushing him mid-summersault" argument?
I fail to see how Metcalf's comments were classless. He said he still thinks he's the better wrestler, but he just didn't come prepared. I'd say he has the record and hardware to back that up. If Caldwell was so great, why didn't he win the title last year?

Metcalf's comments were classless because he wasnt sorry.

as far as the last comment, these are the types of comments you would say if it came from a cyclone fan were "sour grapes." Caldwell did beat metcalf 2x, to metcalfs 1x. I think he also beat him at the dapper dan a few years back, but im not 100% on that. He just pretty much has metcalfs number.

Does anyone know how many years caldwell has left? He has wrestled 3 but he played football before he wrestled so im not sure if hes done or what.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Again, didn't Cyler shove a guy off the mat this year? I remember reading about that somewhere, and I was reminded of that the other day by another ISU fan.

Of course, he won when he did it. So I guess that makes it acceptable.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron