Metcalf interview on Flowrestling

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
How bout saying, I wasn't up to the task today. He wrestled better and I have confidense that I will correct my screw up and wrestle better next time. I wish my talent included the brains to not make the mistakes I made today, but that part of my tallent I will work on and don't intend to make that mistake again.

I think real losers in life say, its not fair. I'm not supposed to lose that match. I beat myself so I'm already the better wrestler doen't matter that I look like an a**hole and lose on top of it. I'm better because I said so.

Success in real life comes from understanding that your mental talent didn't cut it today and someone elses mental tallent made him the better wrestler today. It isn't confidense to say that I beat myself. It is crybaby denial. And it is classless!

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
Yeah, I'm 100% certain ISU fans would HATE it if their wrestlers showed the same type of confidence that Iowa wrestlers do.

I'm sorry, but the mentality that "the other team was just better" is for losers. If you plan on being a winner, you don't come out and say, "yeah, he was just better." That's stupid.

If it makes you feel better about your sports teams by saying, "Yeah, we're classy because our coaches and players say things like 'the other team was better'", then so be it. I, for one, would not have been in the least bit pleased if Metcalf would have come out and said, "yeah, even though I beat him by technical fall earlier this year, he is much better than me now."

We you've just been beaten, rule number 1 is to always give credit to your opponent. I have to applaud Kirk Ferentz because every time after we beat him he has always been a gentleman about it and he's given credit to us. But you and so many other hawkeye fans can't seem to grasp that concept. It's funny how scoreboard settles all arguements about who is better, except when the arguement involves Hawkeye fans.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
We you've just been beaten, rule number 1 is to always give credit to your opponent. I have to applaud Kirk Ferentz because every time after we beat him he has always been a gentleman about it and he's given credit to us. But you and so many other hawkeye fans can't seem to grasp that concept. It's funny how scoreboard settles all arguements about who is better, except when the arguement involves Hawkeye fans.

Dude, you must be new here. You must not remember after the ISU-Iowa game this year when Iowa won. All I read was, "ISU should have won that game, we were in the red zone so many times, Iowa just got lucky...." blah blah blah.

Oh, and Metcalf beat Caldwell 19-3 earlier this year. So apparently, he can indeed beat him.

ArathornClone

Oct 10, 2006
Nothing wrong with that interview. He was pissed that he lost and I'm okay with that. He didn't put down Caldwell or his ability. He didn't say Caldwell didn't deserve to win. He sounded about like a million other wrestlers I know or have seen. Wrestlers by their nature believe they are the best especially the ones that are in the elite. We don't know how Cael would sound if he lost because he never did. :)

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Yes, on the day that it mattered this year Z was beaten, didn't have the overall tallent to overcome a great wrestling move and most importantly timing, that gave up the late takedown.

Would have loved to see an extra 30 seconds, but his mental strategy and tallent backfired for this match. and that is all that needs to be said about it.

I think that as Z gets stronger he WILL be the better wrestler, and WILL be able to be more aggressive. He WILL get stronger, hopefully he WILL build leads next year and not get caught behind the 8 ball. But Friday and Yesterday he was not able to overcome his opponents brilliant strategy and move.

All the hawkeyes really say when you read between the lines is "I'm too stupid to use the God given tallent that I have. I have more tallent but didn't win I'm content to be stupid as long as you know that I'm a really strong wrestler. My Brains don't come close to matching my tallent and I don't intend to change that, because I should have won and thats what you are supposed to take from my failure!"

I prefer the wroute where you say, well congratulations fine execution. I thank you for showing me where I will be working at getting better next year because I'm not going to allow this shortfall of mental talent to be my downfall in the future. You are a fine competitor and deserve this great win.

See its not hard. You hacks don't need a 12 step program. Just don't follow the lead of some of the classless chums in you program.

Last edited:

CFCY

Mar 22, 2009
Ok Jon tough ?, youre sons a wrestler all given things are equal, ISU or IOWA? All i do know is I talked to Cael about D taylor right after he commited, the first words out of Caels mouth were great kid,great family,great student and last was great wrestler. Puts proper perspective dont it? I can guarentee you IF an ISU wrestler pulls that crap an apology to NC ST would have been the 1st thing that would have happened.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Dude, you must be new here. You must not remember after the ISU-Iowa game this year when Iowa won. All I read was, "ISU should have won that game, we were in the red zone so many times, Iowa just got lucky...." blah blah blah.

I still don't get if you are an UI fan why you hang out on this board:confused:.

On the Metcalf match and interview I completely get Metcalf pushing him Metcalf is not watching the clock he is trying to chase down a no class jerk- I guess I'm old school when you win act like you expected to win. I also saw no problem with the Metcalf interview.

jtm

Mar 31, 2006
Why would you want Metcalf when you could have the NCAA Champion Caldwell, WHY, WHY ??????????

Lloyd88

Jun 5, 2008
Waterloo, Iowa
I would say these guys will meet again next year, maybe multiple times. It just goes to show that anyone can beat anyone on any given day if they are totally focused. Everyone believed Metcalf was unstoppable.....and that's when upsets happen. Metcalf will most likely be 40-0 going into the National Championship match again next year. I would never bet against him. As wrestlers go, he's one of the most dominant is recent history..but he's not perfect. That spot is reserved only for ISU's Cael Sanderson.

Last edited:

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
with all due respect to the acting like you belong here arguement, I must say, did he not win the NATIONAL CHAPIONSHIP against a so called "prohibitive favorite?" I know about 15 guys on the basketball court in ames that would be celebrating with 5 seconds on the clock when it was clear they were going to win against, say North Carolina.

But I also didn't see a lot wrong with "the push." Could easily be shameful defesive reasoning for being a jerk, but I didn't get a good look at it and wouldn't say I saw pure anger or vindictiveness.

Only Metcalf knows what he was thinking. Given the track record I'll let you decide. All I know is I've seen worse from the program, (I guess that isn't setting the bar very high though) and there are other actions that don't need to be painted in any light so I didn't feel like piling on when it wasn't blatant. His lack of class, and comments in the interview painted it prety shadowy though.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
Here's the deal; Brent Metcalf is dominant, and all wrestling fans can see his brilliance. If you are an Iowa fan, you absolutely love the guy. If you are not an Iowa fan, first of all, you hate all things Iowa wrestling out of spite, and second, re-read the first thing.

The fact is, every single team in the nation and their fanbase would take Brent Metcalf as their 149 pounder. If you say you wouldn't, we'll have to disagree.

Then why can't you say the same thing about having Tom Brands as a coach?

PolkCityClone

Mar 24, 2006
Here's the deal; Brent Metcalf is dominant, and all wrestling fans can see his brilliance. If you are an Iowa fan, you absolutely love the guy. If you are not an Iowa fan, first of all, you hate all things Iowa wrestling out of spite, and second, re-read the first thing.

The fact is, every single team in the nation and their fanbase would take Brent Metcalf as their 149 pounder. If you say you wouldn't, we'll have to disagree.

I would take the guy that beat him, duh.

Help Support Us

Become a patron