Matt Campbell postgame quote

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
A lot of you sound like you're stuck in an abusive relationship.

This guy keeps making the same mistakes. He makes no effort to fix the mistakes, and won't even acknowledge that they are mistakes. Not only that, he's blaming you for his mistakes. And you've all convinced yourselves that there's no one out there better for you, just because we've had some pretty dark points in our history.

Think better of yourselves, folks. We don't deserve to settle for 3-9 when we should be 9-3.

The issue he has the best record at ISU in the big 12 era. The reason for the success is because of John heacock.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017

This guy keeps making the same mistakes. He makes no effort to fix the mistakes, and won't even acknowledge that they are mistakes. Not only that, he's blaming you for his mistakes. And you've all convinced yourselves that there's no one out there better for you, just because we've had some pretty dark points in our history.

Think better of yourselves, folks. We don't deserve to settle for 3-9 when we should be 9-3.
Had some pretty dark points in our history? Prior to MC the entire thing was dark and hopeless aside from a smattering of years every once in a blue moon.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Eh…it’s one comment in a press conference after a loss. I don’t think we should be so sensitive as to let it bother us. If it turns into a habit of his to blame the fans, then fine…but this feels like a move on and forget it moment. Too many people try to make news out of nothing.

It wasn't just the fans.... he also blamed the players too. But I guess that's okay, right? Just don't blame your buddy making a cool million a year whose sole job is to run ISU's football offense.... am I right?

He certainly has a very fragile ego.... it comes out after almost every loss in his post game pressers.... do not ask him any questions about why his team sucked that night.... he gets pretty upset.

He'd be better off not doing post game pressers at all, but I'm sure he's obligated to.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
He can lose his friend or lose his team.

Something drastic has to be done. Now.

You cannot have such a disparity in performance between the two sides of the ball.

If offense doesn't change soon, defense will match it in performance.

Nobody wants to get hurt playing hard knowing it won't result in a win.
I think the way to solve all of our problems is to fire every coach half way through their first disappointing season. That will make us more attractive to future coaches.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It wasn't just the fans.... he also blamed the players too. But I guess that's okay, right? Just don't blame your buddy making a cool million a year whose sole job is to run ISU's football offense.... am I right?

He certainly has a very fragile ego.... it comes out after almost every loss in his post game pressers.... do not ask him any questions about why his team sucked that night.... he gets pretty upset.
You think Matt Campbell has a very fragile ego? LOL.
Dude reads leadership books, has worn the same hat for years, and doesn't have an agent.

clone1990

Apr 14, 2008

This is spot on.

• Haha
Reactions: IASTATE07

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022

This is kind of a weird take. We’re fans of a team Matt Campbell happens to be a coach of. We can’t cheer for the same team not coached by Matt Campbell. Also we’re not getting abused by him. (Plus he’s literally the best coach we’ve ever had.) Very weird take/comparison.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
This is kind of a weird take. We’re fans of a team Matt Campbell happens to be a coach of. We can’t cheer for the same team not coached by Matt Campbell. Also we’re not getting abused by him. (Plus he’s literally the best coach we’ve ever had.) Very weird take/comparison.

A weird take from a delusional fan.

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
Just one person's opinion, but year 7 is more than ample time to show progress, no? My biggest concern with Campbell and his staff is that the program seems incapable of taking the next step. With a serious regression taking place this year as we speak.

At this point I'm coming around to the pov that what success there's been here in the Campbell years was because of the terrific talent on the field, and not the coaching. Would the program have been further along with the same kids on the field, but a different coaching staff? I mean, if (insert your favorite coach) had the likes of Hall, Kolar, Purdy, McDonald et al., would we have seen superior results?

Campbell talks a good game, but I fear there's a bit of all-hat-no-cattle in him. Regardless, thanks for letting a boomer vent.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
No.

We get it.

He's mad because he knows the Fire Manning thread was out there.

And is only going to get more attention now.

He couldn't defend Tom directly, so he, once again, sent his freshman kicker out there.

Deflection and projection.

This was him taking a shot at us, telling us to back off his best friend.

Shows that Manning is firmly entrenched in the ISU football coaching family.
By any objective measure, his loyalty to his staff is a net positive.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
It sure doesn’t make me want to go to a game this year. Was going to try and make the next home game against OU, but starting to think I might pass.
It certainly is hard to watch and no fun at all but tailgating is still good.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022

He'd be better off not doing post game pressers at all, but I'm sure he's obligated to.
I don’t think he has a fragile ego. I also think he generally appreciates our fans (supposedly it’s a major reason he came). I think we know he really cares about his players. Seems to me that just came out in a slightly wrong way. Again, think it’s basically a nothing burger. Let’s not pull a Nebraska and get rid of a great coach because we’re greedy and stupid.