Matt Campbell postgame quote

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
The reaction to that quote is the definition of sensitive.
It was an extremely douchy and deflective quote, and it was directed at his very supportive fanbase. “Reacting” to quotes from coaches, particularly those directed TO the fanbase, is quite standard.

But yes please do continue to police this free message board. Coach thanks you for your loyal service!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
My lord what is the deal with everyone being so happy about close loses? A loss is a loss, and they’ve all been insanely frustrating. It isn’t like we’ve been outplayed or less talented (minus maybe the Baylor game on that one), it’s all by our own doing

And we play a style that will generally keep a lot of our games close, even against inferior competition. If that's what we are as a team, we have to be on the good side of close games more often than not.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
We've lost 3 games this year by a combined 11 points.

While I agree that our offense has been abysmal lately, people need to chill out a little imo
Definite problems with the offense, but I largely agree. We could easily have a better record, and honestly we probably should have anticipated at least a small step backwards.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
Iowa Hawkeye offense has a nepotism problem?
Iowa State Cyclone offense has a cronysim problem?
I don't know if it is cronyism. CmC just said he has great staff talking about the offense. So he does not see an issue. If you can't score in one of the most average defensive conferences in the country, your offense has serious problem. So he will continue this next season, same result

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
And we play a style that will generally keep a lot of our games close, even against inferior competition. If that's what we are as a team, we have to be on the good side of close games more often than not.
How's that been working lately?

Flip it.

Maybe other teams know keeping it close against ISU will more likely help them achieve victory than ISU.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Sometimes, being the best version of yourself that you can be is having the courage to make changes that are necessary for the good of the team you are the head of. And if you won't do it, at some point we have an AD that will...(see Steve Prohm)

Reactions: ClonesTwenty1

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I don't know if it is cronyism. CmC just said he has great staff talking about the offense. So he does not see an issue. If you can't score in one of the most average defensive conferences in the country, your offense has serious problem. So he will continue this next season, same result
I don't know what it will take for people to recognize some huge, flashing, warning signs.

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
Silver lining, if we just fire coaches after a bad season like joefrog wants we'll suck again in no time, tickets will be cheaper, we can go back to when every fan got their own section at home games.
As long as he does not fire the defense staff, things will get better on the offensive side of the ball. Got get a coordinator from the G5, they will be better then Manning.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Sometimes, being the best version of yourself that you can be is having the courage to make changes that are necessary for the good of the team you are the head of. And if you won't do it, at some point we have an AD that will...(see Steve Prohm)
I love this comment. CMC not even taking the advice he preaches to his team.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Matt Campbell is arguably the most successful coach we've ever had, he's been to a bowl game every year except for his first, and you want him gone. How is that a good or easy job? What exactly do you want from the next coach?

Matt Campbell was also the first coach to come here after:

-We achieved funding parity from the big 12 versus the unequal payouts that ended midway through Rhoads's tenure.
-We finally had a P5-worthy set of facilities for a coach to work with.
-We could count on always being on a national-level TV broadcast and not shoved off on some RSN or FCS or some **** like that.

I'm certainly not at the point of saying to fire him. But never has a coach started on better footing at ISU than Matt Campbell either. We don't know what another coach might be able to do with that because the situation has literally never existed before.

Reactions: xboxfever

David Freshman1982

Sep 14, 2022
If I could add one more observation to this thread, it's really common when people have checked out due to lack of success/frustration/issues/whatever, that they begin lashing out in response. We just saw that down here in KC with the Royals and Dayton Moore. There are elements of that dynamic at work with Campbell right now, I wonder if he's as fully invested in this program right now as he's been in the past. Once again, 7 years is not a short stint after all.

Reactions: agentbear

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Matt Campbell was also the first coach to come here after:

-We achieved funding parity from the big 12 versus the unequal payouts that ended midway through Rhoads's tenure.
-We finally had a P5-worthy set of facilities for a coach to work with.
-We could count on always being on a national-level TV broadcast and not shoved off on some RSN or FCS or some **** like that.

I'm certainly not at the point of saying to fire him. But never has a coach started on better footing at ISU than Matt Campbell either. We don't know what another coach might be able to do with that because the situation has literally never existed before.
And you think Campbell should have done more than what he's done?

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
There is an old saying "Talk is cheap"

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar