Matt Campbell postgame quote

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
That's definitely the first time I've heard someone say they don't care about winning and that they just want touchdowns. Kudos for honesty, I agree, I wish we scored more touchdowns the last 2 games but I wish even more that we won.
lebowski.gif

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Shockingly unknown to the casual observer, scoring touchdowns tends to correlate with winning games, especially when your defense prevents the other team from scoring touchdowns.

Based on this professional analysis, I recommend trying to score more touchdowns. That would seem to be the correct move.
I'd just rather win even if the points all came off safeties and field goals, but to each their own.

• Dumb
Reactions: quasistellar

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
If I hear one more comment about how things used to be im gonna throw up
Exactly.
"Remember when we snorted meth every year? And now we don't do that. We just get by now, without drugs, just have a normal life. Steady. Predictable. But that's OK. Beats waking up with another tooth next to my pillow."

Reactions: CoKane

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
What are your reasonable expectations?

Let's start with playing better this week than last week. Some of us expected that between Baylor and KU......didn't happen. Then again between KU and KSU.......didn't happen. Should we not expect it between KSU and UT or between any other game?

Also........finishing above .500 every year. Especially in conference. Because being happy with anything less is for what did he say......."s*** programs"?

Coaching is a what have you done for me lately profession....sorry. I'm sure he knows that better than anyone.

So unless his early success was an accident we reasonably expect to be above .500 in conference every year.

There is a lot of football yet to be played and that reasonable goal could still be reached. But right now I'm not seeing it.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I'd just rather win even if the points all came off safeties and field goals, but to each their own.
How many games have we won this year without scoring a TD? I don't think we have a safety this year, so I can't speak to that one. Only FGs is evidently not enough.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Like Blum said on the podcast, if he'd just said "some of" or "parts of" I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Do you honestly think he meant all fans despite what he said? Jesus that's stupid. I didn't attack the kicker, so I am mature enough he wasn't referring to me. If you didn't attack the kicker, then be adult enough to realize he wasn't attacking you.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
How many games have we won this year without scoring a TD? I don't think we have a safety this year, so I can't speak to that one. Only FGs is evidently not enough.
We've only not scored a touchdown in 1 game, right?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Do you honestly think he meant all fans despite what he said? Jesus that's stupid. I didn't attack the kicker, so I am mature enough he wasn't referring to me. If you didn't attack the kicker, then be adult enough to realize he wasn't attacking you.

It just feels like he's deflecting away from his **** show offense. Our kicker rebounded, but the offense didn't improve at all. (I'm aware he later says to go after him since he sits in on the offensive meetings)

Reactions: Dowwmeow

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I get that and all but I've been a season ticket holder since 2005 and have sat through some really miserable games/seasons. I will never forget how things used to be.
You have that right as well. If youre someone who spend money on the team thats a very different and earned mentality. The rest of my post is not a shot at you btw.

Im not at all saying bury the past and start firing people for 9-3. But this "Poor little Iowa State. We failed in the 90s so we're doomed to hell. Any wins ever are a miracle really." Mentality needs to go. Its not impossible to win here. We did literally 2 years ago.

We're the only fanbase who plays this card in the conference. Baylor doesn't. TCU doesn't use their old G5 status as a crutch. The 4 new schools won't either. I feel like we're almost becoming the Anti-Nebraska where we have people who refuse to look at things happening in the 2020s due to how bad we were 30, yes 30, years ago.

Im not saying yall have to agree with all my points or arguments. If you dont have an issue with things and enjoy every moment of not being 2-10 then do you. Im not gonna tell you how to enjoy things. But god damn, quit telling everyone how bad it used to be. Because its not that anymore and it doesnt have to be that way again either

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Like Blum said on the podcast, if he'd just said "some of" or "parts of" I wouldn't have a problem with it.

“Some people tried to fry our kicker”. Right there. All that needs to be said.
It's possible that if you're not someone that went after Gilbert on social media, but are still upset that he said "fanbase" instead of "parts of the fanbase", that you need to be less soft. Possible.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
People pulled the same crap with Prohm here too on his death bed. That one was far more absurd

Prohm was terrible. He didn’t build the program. He inherited a great situation. Sucked as a coach. Don’t equate Campbell to Prohm. We got freaking Prohm because of some fans screaming “process”. Can’t hire TJ. Trust Pollard. Trust Campbell. We are in good hands.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
There are still people who defend that clown. He was awful. But comparing Prohm to campbell is a joke. The guy has actually built a program, prohm destroyed one.
Oh absolutely. Im not doing that at all. Im just sick of the go to excuse being that we're Iowa State and what should we really expect every time one of the programs falls on a rough patch

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It just feels like he's deflecting away from his **** show offense. Our kicker rebounded, but the offense didn't improve at all. (I'm aware he later says to go after him since he sits in on the offensive meetings)

Fine. I agree it was a dumb thing to say. But that wasn't the point you were making. You said it would have been better if he had said 'some of the fans'. Even if he had said 'some of the fans', he would have still been deflecting.

I've said this before, but I'm going to keep harping on it. When people are upset about something, they deflect. He should have known better. But he was pissed and said it. No one with half a brain should think he's cool with scoring 9 points on Saturday. Frankly the fact that he DID deflect, makes me think he knows there is an issue.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Gilbert is not the problem. The offense IS the problem at this point. Settling for FGs will lose you a lot of games. Every kicker has bad days (except Justin Tucker).... Gilbert is going to be good. He will win us some games with his leg in the future. Gotta get the ball in the endzone if you wanna win more.

• Winner
Reactions: Daserop

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron