Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Correct but you knew who the Avengers were at least. Lame or not to you. I was not a comic person really ever but the bit I did know are the ones you mentioned. Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, etc. There were plenty of characters mixed in with the Infinity Saga that were new to me or I barely had knowledge of but they worked because they added to the story and complemented the big names. Casting as you said was superb so that made us love characters like Black Widow, Bucky, Falcon and the entire Guardians crew.

I know Marvel can keep this rolling and can at least keen many engaged with stories yet to tell. But they do need a character or two that everyone points to and gravitates to like we had with RDJ as Iron Man and Chris Evan’s as Cap. To me the next Guardians and Thor movies will be critical for Marvel, as they have to start fully setting up the next big story line like they had with the Infinity Saga.

And last but not least, it’s all about the villain. Topping Thanos will be nearly impossible but their next overall villain (Kang it appears) needs to be great.

So they still have Captain America. And they will absolutely reboot some kind of Ironman type just like they did with Captain America. It's just new faces.

And they've introduced the next big bad already with Kang. Plus the whole Celestials baddies.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
So they still have Captain America. And they will absolutely reboot some kind of Ironman type just like they did with Captain America. It's just new faces.

And they've introduced the next big bad already with Kang. Plus the whole Celestials baddies.
I mean I will say what many are thinking. It’s not the Captain America that everyone fell in love with and Iron Man will fall into the same category. Not saying these new versions of them can’t be great but expecting anything close to Evans and RDJ is setting you up for massive disappointment. Those two were perfect.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I mean I will say what many are thinking. It’s not the Captain America that everyone fell in love with and Iron Man will fall into the same category. Not saying these new versions of them can’t be great but expecting anything close to Evans and RDJ is setting you up for massive disappointment. Those two were perfect.

Exactly.

Captain Carter for me will always be second fiddle to Captain America for me. It really seems like the "M-She-u" is slowly turning all of the major characters from the last 15 years into female versions.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Exactly.

Captain Carter for me will always be second fiddle to Captain America for me. It really seems like the "M-She-u" is slowly turning all of the major characters from the last 15 years into female versions.
I actually don’t mind the alternative versions of the characters, as it’s a cool play for me anyway and fits the multiverse thing of how every universe has a different story.

But because their castings for most of their characters have been so perfect it’s impossible for me and likely many to get past that. I mean they are dealing with that with Black Panther due to Chadwicks death. That guy owned that role and was exactly who you picture as T’Challa. Others could and would do fine and even great. But it would take a Heath Ledger as the Joker (arguably better than Jack Nicholson’s by most I think) type of performance to supplant what we have with some of these characters. And even that’s not the best comparison because we’ve had multiple movies with many of these.

Voicing again though so as to not come off as a hater. I actually have been fine with the Captain Carter type characters because it fits with what they are doing in the multiverse. Sam (Falcon) being the new Captain America though I am totally on board with because we have gotten to know Sam through several movies and it feels right to me anyway that he can take up that mantle. Will still be different of course.

Reactions: Triggermv

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Right, but it's things that comics fans have been dealing with for years. Multiple people have worn the mantle of Captain America since the character's inception, it's just that Steve Rogers is by far the most famous. And even within his time as Captain America, different writers have portrayed the character in various ways.

There's plenty of room for other versions of the character and even different actors to portray the same character. We're on our 3rd major Spider-man and most of the major X-Men have two different actor portrayals, and probably soon to be a third. Other franchise have had multiple actors in the same role. And how many historical figures have been portrayed countless time?

Once we're able to divorce ourselves from seeing RDJ and Chris Evans as the only possible Tony Stark and Steve Rogers, we're able to experience other takes on those characters. While those 2 did nail what they were going for, they aren't the only ones that could succeed. Honestly, I really liked Adrian Pasadar's take on the character in several of the animated projects. He still maintained a lot of the arrogance without being a complete **** as RDJ's version sometimes fell into. Mick Wingert played it similar to Pasadar, too.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Right, but it's things that comics fans have been dealing with for years. Multiple people have worn the mantle of Captain America since the character's inception, it's just that Steve Rogers is by far the most famous. And even within his time as Captain America, different writers have portrayed the character in various ways.

There's plenty of room for other versions of the character and even different actors to portray the same character. We're on our 3rd major Spider-man and most of the major X-Men have two different actor portrayals, and probably soon to be a third. Other franchise have had multiple actors in the same role. And how many historical figures have been portrayed countless time?

Once we're able to divorce ourselves from seeing RDJ and Chris Evans as the only possible Tony Stark and Steve Rogers, we're able to experience other takes on those characters. While those 2 did nail what they were going for, they aren't the only ones that could succeed. Honestly, I really liked Adrian Pasadar's take on the character in several of the animated projects. He still maintained a lot of the arrogance without being a complete **** as RDJ's version sometimes fell into. Mick Wingert played it similar to Pasadar, too.
Good discussion and appreciate your thoughts on things. I love discussing MCU stuff with other fans. Always amazed the difference in people’s likes and dislikes given the same content. Marvel movie rankings are always a prime example of this.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Good discussion and appreciate your thoughts on things. I love discussing MCU stuff with other fans. Always amazed the difference in people’s likes and dislikes given the same content. Marvel movie rankings are always a prime example of this.
Everyone has what they like. Sometimes, I do scratch my head a bit when almost universally praised or panned films ends up ranked radically different from most others. But so much goes into personal preference, that all it takes it one story point to resonate with someone to elevate a film or a ridiculous plot hole to ruin a film for someone.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I liked comics when I grew up, but comics in the 90s to me were Spider-Man, X-Men, and some Image comics. I literally never read a single Avengers story. I knew who Iron Man was, but I thought he and basically the entire Avengers lineup were incredibly lame and let me assure you I was not alone.

It'll be impossible to replicate what they did running up to Endgame. but honestly they need to keep doing a good job casting. That's been the key to the whole thing.
I knew of Iron Man and Thor, but I didn't know anything about Nick Fury or the Avengers until the movies. Really, outside of the XMen, Spider Man and the Hulk, DC did a MUCH better job reaching kids with cartoons and movies when I was growing up.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I mostly enjoyed Multiverse of Madness. Cumberbatch, Olsen and Gomez all do a great job. I really don’t like Raimi as a director, but other than a few notable instances he keeps the campiness to a minimum. McAdams does fine with what she’s given, but I hope her contract is up because they seem to be just shoehorning her into these movies.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I mostly enjoyed Multiverse of Madness. Cumberbatch, Olsen and Gomez all do a great job. I really don’t like Raimi as a director, but other than a few notable instances he keeps the campiness to a minimum. McAdams does fine with what she’s given, but I hope her contract is up because they seem to be just shoehorning her into these movies.
I love McAdams but she looked like she was just collecting a payday. She was phoning that role in 100%. I'm sure she hopes her contract is up.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Dr. Strange tomorrow.

Saw Moon Knight's finale today, and it was fine. I'm coming to the belief that Moon Knight himself is the least interesting part of Moon Knight, and focusing on everything around Moon Knight (including the different personalities) is the good stuff.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I love McAdams but she looked like she was just collecting a payday. She was phoning that role in 100%. I'm sure she hopes her contract is up.
I’m sure it is. I mean there is no need for her story anymore. It’s going an new direction as noted in the after credits. I thought she did fine in this. Not sure what else she could bring to the limited role.

I liked this movie quite a bit more than I anticipated. I’ll be interested to see what the directors cut is like.

Reactions: dahliaclone

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Just saw Multiverse of Madness and liked it. The other 2 people I went with liked it too. Probably a B grade to me. Definitely can tell who the director is at times, which is a negative to me. Wanda makes the movie IMO.

And yea, McAdams can be done.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
My only review would be we're in dire need of a "grounded" Marvel superhero pic
(if such a thing really exists).

This is why I really liked the Netflix Marvel series. While there were powers, it was set as if it were reality. The early MCU movies were the same in that they had a backstory and consequences of battles. As the phases kept getting bigger and bigger and the powers kept growing, it's gone from superheros living amongst us to complete fantasy. It's not that it's bad, just a different feel than the early movies.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Just saw Multiverse of Madness and liked it. The other 2 people I went with liked it too. Probably a B grade to me. Definitely can tell who the director is at times, which is a negative to me. Wanda makes the movie IMO.

And yea, McAdams can be done.
I liked the movie too. Very entertaining and amazing visual

• Disagree
Reactions: dahliaclone

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Dr. Strange was visually a treat. But both my son and I came to the same conclusion that the story was a bit lacking. Best way I can describe is it's basically the Platte River, "a mile wide, and about a foot deep". There was lots going, but they hardly went to deep on any thread. The movie was still enjoyable, just not super memorable.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Saw Dr. Strange. It definitely happened. Mostly kinda fine, some very good parts, some pretty questionable decisions. It'll be a "love it or hate it" movie for a lot of people.
Overall, it highlighted how difficult it is to make a Dr. Strange story. That's a tough gig.

You aren't the only person I've heard describe the film as divisive, and those films tend to not go over well with me. I see it also has the MCU's second lowest cinemascore, which isn't great either. We will see. I choose to remain optimistic. I never know what to think of Raimi in general. I loved the first 2 Spider-Man movies, but Spider-Man 3 was my first taste of true major disappointment after a movie as a kid. I will never forget the feeling walking out of that movie.

Last edited: