For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Just got back from Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness. Really enjoyed it because of the shift in tone. Was a nice shakeup and Elizabeth Olsen is just flipping awesome. That’s all I will say.

Reactions: Gorm

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I won't share my thoughts since some think I just hate Marvel movies in general. But my better half is a huge Marvel fan. Surprisingly, they asked if we could leave the movie at one point but I said we had to stay. On the way home they said it was the worst script, most phoned-in Marvel movie yet. I will agree though, for both of us, Olsen was the best part.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I won't share my thoughts since some think I just hate Marvel movies in general. But my better half is a huge Marvel fan. Surprisingly, they asked if we could leave the movie at one point but I said we had to stay. On the way home they said it was the worst script, most phoned-in Marvel movie yet. I will agree though, for both of us, Olsen was the best part.

I just think you and I have different tastes in movies in general and that's totally okay. Honestly it's not that you've disliked some Marvel movies for me - it's that you think Eternals was the best one, which I thought was maybe the worst one. So it's just a taste thing.

I also don't really like Sam Raimi, which I know is heresy in certain circles so I have pretty low expectations for this one to be honest.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Keep sharing. I love hearing all people's thoughts. My biggest issue with people today is everyone finding and huddling in their own echo chambers to the point where nobody wants to listen and dismisses anyone with any opinion that doesn't validate their own. It is at its worst in politics, but filters into anything and everything, including Fandom. Don't be that person. At the heart of wisdom is listening.

Anyway, this forum welcomes all opinions. You love Eternals, good on you. I will say I greatly enjoyed it more with my second viewing. Personally, one of my all-time favorite Steven Spielberg films is The Terminal, which many believe to be one of his worst, and I don't care.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
My only review would be we're in dire need of a "grounded" Marvel superhero pic
(if such a thing really exists).

Seeing it later tonight, but Sam & Bucky are pretty grounded.

Reactions: bos

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
My only review would be we're in dire need of a "grounded" Marvel superhero pic
(if such a thing really exists).

But, why? Superheroes have always lent themselves to the fantastical. Going in you are expecting a level of ungroundedness, unlike say a film series like the Fast Saga. Those movies started of ground-ish and now there are driving cars in space. They keep ratcheting up the absurd with those films to the point where they are now almost cartoonish. With most Marvel and DC things, once the idea of aliens and magic get tossed into the mix, grounded is out the window. Doctor Strange, more than most, is definitely in the more ungrounded wing of the Marvel universe. Hell, the writers were notoriously on acid when they wrote some of the stuff in the 70's.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm conflicted with this movie. This movie really feels like it has two different tones, part horror movie, and part Disney+ show.
So many things going on, worth a second viewing.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I don’t necessarily think it’s all about getting crazy with the multiverse and out there with time warping, jumping etc.

This was always going to happen with the MCU in that they needed the first phases to be all the heavy hitters that comic book fans and non-fans knew. Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk etc. are ones that most people know. So having a bit of knowledge allows those juicy Marvel Easter eggs to work. Especially with post credit scenes.

There are still characters out there people would get jazzed for, but a lot of them are cosmic-centered OR we’ve seen done before (Fantastic Four and X-Men). It’s just going to be a tougher job for Marvel to keep this going because the low hanging fruit is what they started with.

Now full credit as they had to not screw it up with the Infinity saga. And they killed it with casting, storytelling, world building, and the payoff with Thanos and Infinity War/Endgame.

Now the challenge is on to get everyone re-energized again after the borderline masterpiece they did with the first phases. But doing it without some of the heavy hitters and now more obscure characters to the average Joe will be harder.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I think we overestimate how much the average Joe knew prior to those films. Most knew of Spider-man. Many knew of the X-Men thanks to prior films. Captain America and the Hulk probably would have gotten recognized by an average person, but the rest probably wouldn't have even registered with them.

Believe it or not, even with how successful some franchises are, there are plenty people out there that could only name Darth Vader and one or two other characters from Star Wars. The same could be said of lots of other IP. Being close to the fandom, we forget that some days.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Really looking forward to seeing Doctor Strange 2 this weekend. Even if it got horrible reviews I would still go see it because I'm in love with Elizabeth Olsen.

Reactions: Triggermv

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I think we overestimate how much the average Joe knew prior to those films. Most knew of Spider-man. Many knew of the X-Men thanks to prior films. Captain America and the Hulk probably would have gotten recognized by an average person, but the rest probably wouldn't have even registered with them.

Believe it or not, even with how successful some franchises are, there are plenty people out there that could only name Darth Vader and one or two other characters from Star Wars. The same could be said of lots of other IP. Being close to the fandom, we forget that some days.
Yes to this, but even the casual comic fans knew of a lot of the phase 1-3 stuff. We are now into characters and plots where unless you are a comic nut you have zero clue who these new characters are

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yes to this, but even the casual comic fans knew of a lot of the phase 1-3 stuff. We are now into characters and plots where unless you are a comic nut you have zero clue who these new characters are

I liked comics when I grew up, but comics in the 90s to me were Spider-Man, X-Men, and some Image comics. I literally never read a single Avengers story. I knew who Iron Man was, but I thought he and basically the entire Avengers lineup were incredibly lame and let me assure you I was not alone.

It'll be impossible to replicate what they did running up to Endgame. but honestly they need to keep doing a good job casting. That's been the key to the whole thing.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I liked comics when I grew up, but comics in the 90s to me were Spider-Man, X-Men, and some Image comics. I literally never read a single Avengers story. I knew who Iron Man was, but I thought he and basically the entire Avengers lineup were incredibly lame and let me assure you I was not alone.

It'll be impossible to replicate what they did running up to Endgame. but honestly they need to keep doing a good job casting. That's been the key to the whole thing.
Correct but you knew who the Avengers were at least. Lame or not to you. I was not a comic person really ever but the bit I did know are the ones you mentioned. Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, etc. There were plenty of characters mixed in with the Infinity Saga that were new to me or I barely had knowledge of but they worked because they added to the story and complemented the big names. Casting as you said was superb so that made us love characters like Black Widow, Bucky, Falcon and the entire Guardians crew.

I know Marvel can keep this rolling and can at least keen many engaged with stories yet to tell. But they do need a character or two that everyone points to and gravitates to like we had with RDJ as Iron Man and Chris Evan’s as Cap. To me the next Guardians and Thor movies will be critical for Marvel, as they have to start fully setting up the next big story line like they had with the Infinity Saga.

And last but not least, it’s all about the villain. Topping Thanos will be nearly impossible but their next overall villain (Kang it appears) needs to be great.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
And last but not least, it’s all about the villain. Topping Thanos will be nearly impossible but their next overall villain (Kang it appears) needs to be great.

This is the crux of it right here. Short of a hard reboot, the success of the whole next wave depends on the main villain, and to a lesser extent, the individual villains. Maybe if Marvel would Quit. Killing. Them. those secondary villains could evolve into greater roles and threats.

The sooner we can get to Doctor Doom, the better. His uniqueness in not only being a villain, but the leader of a sovereign nation, would have worked much better to flesh out the Civil War stuff into full fledged story and not just background noise and an excuse to get the airport scene in Cap 3.

• Agree
Reactions: jctisu

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I tried, and I've gone back to try again, reading old Iron Man comics, meaning basically anything up to the MCU. Stark just wasn't a character to draw people in. He was, frankly, dull.

I read a lot of Avengers stories, but somehow missed on a lot of classics, because distribution then was very random.

A lot of characters they're running out right now are pretty niche even for longtime Marvel fans. That's not a Marvel criticism, it's just where these folks fit.

Help Support Us

Become a patron